Stobart Automotive Drivers

Hi, yes I know it is another Eddie thread but I was wondering if anyone on here works for them. I do not want to hear any rants as we make our own assumptions of the company we work for. I used to work for Mainland car deliveries many moons ago and really enjoyed the job. I have recently applied and been offered a position with Stobart Automotive working 4 on 4 off in the south of England. It all sounds ok and the wage structure is that similar to MCD’s but I am curious as to average pay of previous and current employees. I currently work for the NHS ambulance service and love the job but rota changes and increased pressures and no pay rise for past 6 years are killing me lol. Can anyone help? :grimacing:

Just wondered if there was anyone out there that knows the pay system for Stobart transporter drivers. I understand that there is a training pay scale. Does anyone know sny more?

I think while training it is £106 per day plus meal allowence etc

HI mate I’m in the same position i recently applied but know one can give me a an answer on average weekly earnings for a day driver. I know there’s a £104 rate for newbies but how long does that last for as after tax in my opinion it’s poor.

Do you know how long you stay on that rate for. I have heard that some drivers are taking home £550 on days but yet to find someone to clarify it.

As you both posted the same topic and replied on each others, I’ve merged them. :wink:

surely these are the questions you should be asking when or at the interview stage then you get it from the horses mouth and not from every tom ■■■■ and harry . just a thought like

Rabbit, make sure you’re not being undersold, returning skilled drivers are being offered Walon 2 pay agreement, don’t know how that compares with MCD.
I understand some untrained but good potential recruits have been offered Walon2 also.

Flying Foden…the trouble with interview stage is that you don’t always get the true picture, not saying Stobbies would do this nor any other proper operator but bear in mind, exaggeration and over-egging the potential earnings/hours pudding has been rife in the transporter game at recruitment time for years.
Like most politicians, they tell you what you want to hear.

Samtim.
Training pay is an interesting one, i was the very first driver to be paid during training at all when i started on one of the scabby little places (that still pays as a scabby outfit but bigger and under another name), but that was different days.
You’re very fortunate to be paid a reasonable rate during training for this once dead mans (and might well become so again) job, you will do damage amounting to thousands of pounds during your first few months, the training rate is designed so you can take all day if needs be to do half a days work and gradually come up to speed.
Last time i was in the game, the training money was a daily minimum, if you earned more during the day you got paid it, hopefully by the time you’ve been there 6 months and about a quarter the way to becoming even half comfortable doing the job, you’ll have floated well above min.

the flying foden:
surely these are the questions you should be asking when or at the interview stage then you get it from the horses mouth and not from every tom ■■■■ and harry . just a thought like

Questions were asked at interview stage but pay agreement is so complicated even the interviewer was slightly confused. Basic hourly rate is something like £5.65ph but is made up of bonuses etc. Interviewer reckons that £34000 per annum not including nights away is achievable. Sick pay etc is payable at £65 per day plus ssp, and company pension. I just do not want to jump from the frying pan into the fire if you get what I mean. Better to hear average wage from drivers that work for them than to put all hopes on what intetviewer tells you :grimacing:

Juddian:
Flying Foden…the trouble with interview stage is that you don’t always get the true picture, not saying Stobbies would do this nor any other proper operator but bear in mind, exaggeration and over-egging the potential earnings/hours pudding has been rife in the transporter game at recruitment time for years.

well that comes as a big surprise to me transport company’s telling porkies what ever next .I all ways use a well test method with such companies . if the jobs not what they tell me at the interview then i don’t stay there to long . it’s worked for me for the last 35 years . give it a try you may like it :slight_smile:

the flying foden:

Juddian:

well that comes as a big surprise to me transport company’s telling porkies what ever next .I all ways use a well test method with such companies . if the jobs not what they tell me at the interview then i don’t stay there to long . it’s worked for me for the last 35 years . give it a try you may like it :slight_smile:

Those that came to me to train, i always told them the real story, but fairly.

It was you who suggested to ask at interview, so what’s our OP to do, not ask here, then leave again 6 weeks later if it turns out not to be as expected?

Rabbit007uk:

the flying foden:

Questions were asked at interview stage but pay agreement is so complicated even the interviewer was slightly confused. Basic hourly rate is something like £5.65ph but is made up of bonuses etc. Interviewer reckons that £34000 per annum not including nights away is achievable. Sick pay etc is payable at £65 per day plus ssp, and company pension. I just do not want to jump from the frying pan into the fire if you get what I mean. Better to hear average wage from drivers that work for them than to put all hopes on what intetviewer tells you :grimacing:

I’ve been out 5 years but the Walon 2 pay scheme hasn’t changed a lot in basic application.

You can’t rely on hearing others wages, they can vary from £38k to £50+k for 5 day weekers, plus nights out and ex’s obviously, depending on how fast you can shift metal, the type of work you get, and the effort you are prepared to put in.

One thing you can rely on, the job hasn’t got any easier since you last did it, but the vehicles have got far more complicated and you’re older, and its all chocks and wheelstrapping now… :smiling_imp:

Juddian:

the flying foden:

Juddian:

Those that came to me to train, i always told them the real story, but fairly.

It was you who suggested to ask at interview, so what’s our OP to do, not ask here, then leave again 6 weeks later if it turns out not to be as expected?

like i said it works for me. . good luck to the op and hope it’s the job he is expecting

Hey I am only 21 lol. Things have changed so much and it used to be decent money and conditions but being out of it for a while it seems to have changed somewhat. All the companies you used to see have been swollowed up by Stobarts. Yes there is a drivers shortage and there always has been so getting another job is quite easy but I would rather not jump from employer to employer every 6 weeks, if I wanted that I would work agency. Its good to do a little research and ask questions from people who have recently done the job or worked for Stobart Automotive.

21, bugger me how old were you at MCD?

I was 9 but looked older so I blagged it lol.

I am now 41 and time has flown by. Thank you for your help Juddian [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Rabbit007uk:
I am now 41 and time has flown by. Thank you for your help Juddian [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Ha, still not sure i believe you, my dad (whom i still miss terribly after some 25 years) was 41 for at least 15 years.

Ah bless you, seriously though I am 41 and not getting any younger. This shift work is wearing me out! 4 on 4 off sounds really good at the moment.

Rabbit007uk:
Hi, yes I know it is another Eddie thread but I was wondering if anyone on here works for them. I do not want to hear any rants as we make our own assumptions of the company we work for. I used to work for Mainland car deliveries many moons ago and really enjoyed the job. I have recently applied and been offered a position with Stobart Automotive working 4 on 4 off in the south of England. It all sounds ok and the wage structure is that similar to MCD’s but I am curious as to average pay of previous and current employees. I currently work for the NHS ambulance service and love the job but rota changes and increased pressures and no pay rise for past 6 years are killing me lol. Can anyone help? :grimacing:

Of course they can there’s 100,s of experts on stobart wages on this forum ( none of them actually work for stobart though) ,I’m sure they’ll,be along soon too give you the full sp of working for buttons/ peanuts .