Steve walker transport saved

well hope its not all doom and gloom for the drivers, chin up lads hope you get through it ok.

Just seen one in the port at Holyhead. Good sign maybe?

Fileep:
I was going to say earlier that I thought I saw one n/b A1m just past blyth earlier today, thought I had it wrong as earlier post stated all had been recalled to yard! Fingers crossed it works out for all concerned.

you might well of seen one today administrator have selected 3 units to run to empty all the loaded trailers that were returned to yard, well that is what i was told this afternoon, i am keeping my fingers crossed for the guys :cry: :cry: :cry:

Big outfit, a bit rough and ready,but I would prefer that,. Their temporary demise isn’t down to drivers wages I can assuure you that. 300 pound straight max hours A1 layby to parke Rose don’t like. Additional costs 5 n/os out a% of what wagon earns, so net 400/450. Not a good wage in retrospect. 30 drivers more on the heap who will take any wage to work bad news indeed I was balfour beary redditch and that was my flat 5 days take home. Rose wont lose a penny or any sleep just us drivers,but then again if you worked for them you obviously have no idea what you are worth and to think you bent overbackwards to keep your job for no benefit.Do not sell yourself short and don’t give me that mortgage., bills kids etc because there has to be a minimum wage that is acceptable to drive a large vehicle and not the national min wage either.you work for peanuts and you will not be respected by any man or company have some pride work hard don’t moan for a decent living wage
sent on a smart phone by an eeeejit with fingers like fids who has had too much vinegar on me chips again…

mucksavaga:
Big outfit, a bit rough and ready,but I would prefer that,. Their temporary demise isn’t down to drivers wages I can assuure you that. 300 pound straight max hours A1 layby to parke Rose don’t like. Additional costs 5 n/os out a% of what wagon earns, so net 400/450. Not a good wage in retrospect. 30 drivers more on the heap who will take any wage to work bad news indeed I was balfour beary redditch and that was my flat 5 days take home. Rose wont lose a penny or any sleep just us drivers,but then again if you worked for them you obviously have no idea what you are worth and to think you bent overbackwards to keep your job for no benefit.Do not sell yourself short and don’t give me that mortgage., bills kids etc because there has to be a minimum wage that is acceptable to drive a large vehicle and not the national min wage either.you work for peanuts and you will not be respected by any man or company have some pride work hard don’t moan for a decent living wage
sent on a smart phone by an eeeejit with fingers like fids who has had too much vinegar on me chips again…

Got to say that they didn’t/don’t have a good reputation amongst local drivers.

Loaded containers out of their yard a few times, always in a state, facilities were shocking, just gave the impression of being deserving of their poor reputation!

Woke up and read my drunken rant,
best delete it and seek some help i thinks…

Might of been the nature of the work but some of them Scania’s did look a bit rough round the edges. I thought walking floor work was meant to be good money…

Saw two of Walkers Lads bouncing out of Heysham this morning - I hope it all works out for them

Silver_Surfer:
I thought walking floor work was meant to be good money…

it use to be like most jobs but the rates have been cut and ! wether you want to blame the big boys getting in on the job for the rates dropping or just a general push against all of british transport and taxation by the government i don’t know, its not a bad job really but some of the loads can be dusty same as if you where doing bulker work :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

DonutUK:

mucksavaga:

Got to say that they didn’t/don’t have a good reputation amongst local drivers.

Loaded containers out of their yard a few times, always in a state, facilities were shocking, just gave the impression of being deserving of their poor reputation!

I loaded out of there once with a container, whilst I was being totally ignored at the window for the weighbridge, I started to read the notices on the wall, one of which stated that if any of their drivers was go go in to Aylesford Newsprint overweight, they would lose all their bonus for the whole week, shame they didn’t think the same way about the containers going out of their yard, they were more than happy to tell me it would be ok to go out at 45 1/2 tonne :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

He got the right hump when I told him that they had to take some off :smiley:

i changed the title just heard the walkers have been saved by a buy out by downtons, so great news for all the drivers and a good company to work for so i have been told, so you should all be getting new kit in the future, so great day for drivers and it proves there can be light at the end of the tunnel :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

With Halfords, Morrisons & Stobart moving out of the area, its definitely good news.

Good news for the drivers. As I said it’s not the end till they lock the yard up. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

How much work will they have lost from the bad publicity though and how many lads will go back in…

i dont think they had the best work iv seen a lot of there drivers getting stressed at biffa eversley . also saw one of there flash trucks running south on the m40 today

nice one best of luck with it. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I would like to set the record straight. As a Walker employee, well until midnight tonight, I feel that one or two of the posts are unfair. I have been working there for 10 months. I earned an average of 560 quid a week. How do I know this?? well I have just bought a house - take pocession today infact, in Muckaways territory ( Witney). I have got an Additional mortgage which was worked out from my average take home pay. I didnt run bent, although I did have occasional infringements - the last being in the 2nd week of October. Point 2: I have never had a problem with Rosie one bit. Great lady, who knows her stuff, and compared to other places Iv worked - can actually drive an HGV! never once did she lean on me to run bent, or overweight. Point 3. Yes some of the trucks were a bit rough and ready, but they were all roadworthy. I was pulled by VOSA a couple weeks back - in my 55 plate 470. I went straight through - no prob. The trailer was a 2001 so had seen its fair amount of use and abuse. The only point that the VOSA chap made was that there was a slight oil leak from the cab tilt area, but it was weepage and not as though a tap had been left dripping. I couldnt go into london as she wasnt LEZ compliant, but to be honest I wasnt worried.
Point 4. Drivers working there have a family bond, which even in my previous career of Agriculture, have not found elsewhere. I have worked for Blue Chip companies, where the atmosphere was dead. If you had a problem, you could ring any1 of guys and get an analysis of the predicament, and 9/10 a solution.
Why am I leaving?? well its a domestic issue. I work hard. I work within the law, and I work as if I was an employee that I would want working for me. I frequently went beyond the call of the office to deliver on a saturday, when I was due back on a friday, or would stay out and risk the anger of my wife, if - often because of traffic issues, I couldnt get home within the LAW.
I find it pretty poor , that so called fellow drivers slag of those who WORK for a living rather than sponge off the state. I will miss working there, and will go back without giving it a second thought. Hand on heart - it was the best job Iv had in my working life to date.

Lighting: Fair play, nice to read a positive view from someone in the know rather than just rumours and here say, good luck with whatever youre moving onto :smiley:

Good to hear Downtons have stepped in, have to see what happens with the drivers etc mind. I only live about 20 mins from their yard but after an ‘eventful’ interview a while back I chose another walking floor outfit in Leicestershire instead. Good luck to the drivers!

I lasted 2 days freezing whether no cab heater 12 collections around Birmingham all Moffat jobs no night heater in rattle bone shaker of a 02 42 o topline. And was told I would have to speed up as haven’t completed collections in one day hence no bouns earned