Steel haulage advice

Just taken a one-day job from the agency that involves carrying steel out of a firm based in Hartlepool. I assuming that the vehicle will be a flatbed (never driven one yet), what’s the general advice on regarding chaining the load, etc?

We’re to start?
What kind of steel?
Flat sheet?
Coils?
Beams?
Pipes?
Bulks?

Have you any experience with steel, or chains? If not, tell the company, they’ll either sent you home, or train you.
We need a lot more detail before we can even begin to help you here.

What ever you do, easy on the corners, and eeeeeasy on those brakes.

Hi Garbo. Just ask. Everywhere you collect steel has their own requirements for restraint. Most are the same but not always. Ask what they want.
If its painted then they usually say straps…loads of em. About 12 minimum. Unpainted, they ask for chains usually 3 over the top and two belly wraps. I cant explain those without a pen and paper, but they will have all that stuff written down for you. If you`re out of the 24" mill just ask one of the Prestons lads.
Thats one of the things about steel work…the blokes are all sound. Not like retail/fridge/RDC stuff where everyone just wants to move on as quick as poss without any interaction with anyone.

cheekymonkey:
Thats one of the things about steel work…the blokes are all sound. Not like retail/fridge/RDC stuff where everyone just wants to move on as quick as poss without any interaction with anyone.

I’m a fridge man…

And this year I’ve flashed in two maybe three lorries and let one little old lady across the road.

I’m really really upset by this blatant attack.

ok ok i had to stand on the brakes cos the giddy old dear didnt look but thats not the point

yourhavingalarf:

cheekymonkey:

I’m a fridge man…

And this year I’ve flashed in two maybe three lorries and let one little old lady across the road.

I’m really really upset by this blatant attack.

ok ok i had to stand on the brakes cos the giddy old dear didnt look but thats not the point

How many lorries have you not flashed in this year?
Did your standing on the brakes sufficiently attract the attention of the old dear?

Ed Murrays?

chaversdad:
Ed Murrays?

It’s actually Phoenix Steel.

Make sure the ratchets are on the near side, so if you have to stop in a layby to retighten then, you won’t end up stood next to the flow of traffic. Some of you may remember my former next door neighbour, he was the trucker killed in Wales a few years ago when he stopped to tighten the straps and was hit by moving traffic

Garbo2018:

chaversdad:
Ed Murrays?

If it’s the same phoenix steel that’s got a place in jarrow it’ll be stockholder stuff. Bundles and packs. Prob Multidrop. So long it’s loaded ok it’ll straight forward. 2 chains or straps over each pack weight permitting.
Watch for sharp edges if using straps. Like stated earlier. Ratchets or tentioners on nearside.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

peirre:
Make sure the ratchets are on the near side, so if you have to stop in a layby to retighten then, you won’t end up stood next to the flow of traffic. Some of you may remember my former next door neighbour, he was the trucker killed in Wales a few years ago when he stopped to tighten the straps and was hit by moving traffic

Dave by any chance?
Old bloke from Rotherham?
Lovely fella? Used to be an owner driver.

mat79:

Garbo2018:

chaversdad:
Ed Murrays?

If it’s the same phoenix steel that’s got a place in jarrow it’ll be stockholder stuff. Bundles and packs. Prob Multidrop. So long it’s loaded ok it’ll straight forward. 2 chains or straps over each pack weight permitting.
Watch for sharp edges if using straps. Like stated earlier. Ratchets or tentioners on nearside.

According to their website, they stock the beams and other structural steel sections at their Jarrow site. Hartlepool will probably be sheets, angle, box section, etc.

The only time I ever turned a job down when I was on agency was doing steel deliveries. Steel is sharp (a square corner can slice your hand open) it’s slippery and seems determined to escape and it’s oily which transfers to places you’d rather not have oiled.

Garbo2018:

mat79:

Garbo2018:

chaversdad:
Ed Murrays?

According to their website, they stock the beams and other structural steel sections at their Jarrow site. Hartlepool will probably be sheets, angle, box section, etc.

We deliver beams and different profiles to jarrow. I think it’s just their main site.

mat79:

Garbo2018:

mat79:

Garbo2018:

chaversdad:
Ed Murrays?

We deliver beams and different profiles to jarrow. I think it’s just their main site.

It’s quite a big site. Think they have strip coils in there too to be decoiled and cut.

mat79:
Dave by any chance?

Yes, Dave Buttle was his name

peirre:

mat79:
Dave by any chance?

Yes, Dave Buttle was his name

That’s him. Lovely bloke. Didn’t look his age. Only his white hair gave it away.
If he’d dyed it black he’d have passed for 50yr old rather than 70.
He was on the agency with us at Tata aldwarke. Fit strapping bloke. Good worker and thoroughly nice bloke.
I think work had gone quiet and he was on something else when he was killed.
Couldn’t believe it.
Was only talking about him the other day.

Santa:
The only time I ever turned a job down when I was on agency was doing steel deliveries. Steel is sharp (a square corner can slice your hand open) it’s slippery and seems determined to escape and it’s oily which transfers to places you’d rather not have oiled.

A few years ago in my old (non-driving) job, I sliced one of my fingers on a stainless steel test label on a pressure relief valve for a VCM tanker with a razor sharp edge. Had to go to North Tees A&E for a few stitches. :frowning: :blush:

That incident taught me a huge lesson on wearing decent gloves when handing steel (especially plate that can act as a guillotine if you’re not careful!) :blush:

Only ever pulled it once but was advised to stop a few times in the first 50 miles or so and re tighten everything .

Also . Steel on steel - no deal.

I worked drove for a steel fabrication firm for a little while and spent more time chaining and unchaining than i did driving :open_mouth:

remy:
I worked drove for a steel fabrication firm for a little while and spent more time chaining and unchaining than i did driving :open_mouth:

your not wrong there… typical load back in the day - you quickly learnt to judge the traffic rather than slam on the brakes

steel1.jpg

steel2.jpg