Staying away

I’m starting to do distance work and will be stopping away for 5 nights. I’ve got a mini fridge and stove but not sorted anything out about water and just wondering what the best solution is?

The thought of putting some in bottles to take with you too hard to think of?

Tinned food, lots of it.

I have a 10ltr water container with a tap on it , i also reuse those 5ltr water bottles that you buy cheap spring water in from the likes of tosco

1st post and ‘thinking of tramping’■■? :unamused:

I’ve been tramper for 15 years 'ish and have enough ‘stuff’ to be parked up for a week without moving!!!

If you are questioning water then you are not prepared in my opinion. Think about camping for a weekend then double it, always be prepared.

Radar19:
Tinned food, lots of it.

Don’t forget your tin opener, but if you do Tesco sells cheap dog food in ring pull cans :slight_smile:

This thread is worth a read, if you have time :open_mouth:

Here’s what they wont tell you need, because when you live like a tinker you have to act like one, you will need a bottle with a wide opening so when you need a ■■■■ you wont ■■■■ all over yourself, also plenty of newspaper so if you need to do a number two you can place on the bunk and have a crap, then you need a plastic bag to put the crap and paper in so when you throw it the truck it just looks like a bag not a load of crap, they wont tell you this because they will never admit that most of the time we live like tinkers for 20 pounds for over night money and work for a low wage, don’t mind some of the answers here, they all think they are super people with a big job that makes them feel cool and they are qualified to give advice, not so most of them work for buttons and don’t know what the word no means and they are all yes men for the buttons they work for. good luck, all you need is enough common sense and a week out and you will know what you need, you don’t need the fools here that give advice.

completecareshop.co.uk/cont … Akn48P8HAQ

I had one of these wort the money emptied in the loos in the morning when going for a wash. Quickly rinsed out and put back into a carrier bag

nick2008:
https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/continence-care/urinal-bottles-and-bed-pans/economy-male-urinal-view-large?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjMC2BRC34oGKqY27jtkBEiQAwSXzfqB0HQA6mnIJER_7rglu7SwzsbtaDVrpB_hfp6Tpg2gaAkn48P8HAQ

I had one of these wort the money emptied in the loos in the morning when going for a wash. Quickly rinsed out and put back into a carrier bag

Brill=1

nick2008:
https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/continence-care/urinal-bottles-and-bed-pans/economy-male-urinal-view-large?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjMC2BRC34oGKqY27jtkBEiQAwSXzfqB0HQA6mnIJER_7rglu7SwzsbtaDVrpB_hfp6Tpg2gaAkn48P8HAQ

Going to be a bit tricky aiming an emergency post vindaloo evacuation into that !

My advice is get comfortable wiv your trailer axles BEFORE u need them in a hurry on a dark night .

sadman68:
I’m starting to do distance work and will be stopping away for 5 nights. I’ve got a mini fridge and stove but not sorted anything out about water and just wondering what the best solution is?

If your investing in it, buy some proper water tanks with taps. Or like me, just bought 2 massive cheap “spring” supermarket home brand bottles and kept them in the pax footwell. Must have been a gallon each and cost about £2.00. I filled them up at the beginning and in the week as needed at tips. I washed, brushed my teeth by the side of the footwell in the early hours, drank and cooked with them WHEN needed. Kept the bottles on the go for months. No fancy taps. I’m still here. The rest is convenience. It’s just water.

I see you’re sorted for cooking I just had a single point camping primus above a blue gaz bottle. The old school type. Lived like that for 3 years and cooked quite nicely on one pan. Didn’t blow myself up, gas myself or set fire to the lorry. Some on here will tell you, you’ll die a horrible death but bare in mind this is the land of panic over immediate nothing. It’s not rocket science. Go Gucci and buy a 2 burner plate with bottle if you’re flush or stove isn’t cutting it for you.

nightline and Freight Dog have awesome tips, now somebody has put it out in the open about ■■■■■■■ on some newspaper (hence removing the taboo), I’ll stock up on a few copies of The Sun myself I reckon :wink:

Beats having to calculate how much/what consistency of food you’ve eaten all day in determining whether you need a services/lorry park or a layby for the night, I’m sure others can identify :sunglasses:

Use the bottles of yellowy liquid (it’s iodine, so my mate told me) you see all over MSAs and laybys… he also told me that they’re left there by good Samaritan types who don’t want us to dehydrate.

Pip, pip, tally ho and good on the people of Britain for consideration.

nightline:
Here’s what they wont tell you need, because when you live like a tinker you have to act like one, you will need a bottle with a wide opening so when you need a ■■■■ you wont ■■■■ all over yourself, also plenty of newspaper so if you need to do a number two you can place on the bunk and have a crap, then you need a plastic bag to put the crap and paper in so when you throw it the truck it just looks like a bag not a load of crap, they wont tell you this because they will never admit that most of the time we live like tinkers for 20 pounds for over night money and work for a low wage, don’t mind some of the answers here, they all think they are super people with a big job that makes them feel cool and they are qualified to give advice, not so most of them work for buttons and don’t know what the word no means and they are all yes men for the buttons they work for. good luck, all you need is enough common sense and a week out and you will know what you need, you don’t need the fools here that give advice.

I’ve been tramping on and off for 20 years, as well as regular day or night shift jobs. I prefer the laid back atmosphere of parking up where ever I happen to finish or run out of time, over the stressed out dashing about all day, trying to get back to base within your driving hours. And only commute once a week.
I see your wide necked bottle, but I must have a better constitution than you, because I never needed to ■■■■ on a news paper. Or under the trailer. . :unamused: . Mind you, I’ve touched cloth on occasions when getting to a toilet in the services… :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your comments very helpful

sadman68:
Thanks for all your comments very helpful

Glad you think so dude , :wink: , you do have to wonder how people live and get by in life in the wilds of the vast road networks and byways.
I am now mentally scarred with a vivid vision of layby`s spread across the Country, lorries parked up in them ,
with the drivers all tucked underneath the trailers - bums akimbo in the breeze - swinging from trailer axles nationwide and frozen to the brake chambers and pivot arms.
Only to be found days later with an empty water bottle and a remnant of poop dribbling from their botty,

because they forgot to take the loo paper and wet wipes with them. :grimacing:
(you really dont want to be in my mind right now ). :laughing:

I buy multiple packs of bottled water from Aldi or Lidl, the Msa is a rip off for water .
Baby wipes for hygiene when no shower or for cleansing the cab .
Wilkinsons sell antibacterial wipes for 50 p.
Foam ear plugs for noisy laybys .
Get the boss to sign up to SNAP where the drivers do not pay for parking, truck wash on SNAP .
Free Truckstop News magazine for list of good truckstops .
Dust pan and brush to clean cab .

nightline:

We won’t tell him that because we don’t do it.

I certainly don’t live like a ‘tinker’, I live quite comfortably in fact, easily done when you’re on top of your admin and use your space wisely. I get more than £20 for a night out and don’t have a low wage. I’ve never once had to dump in my cab. Maybe I’m strange and don’t live like a caged bear. :unamused:

OP, buy a pack of cheap water from the supermarket (500ml) and stock up on 2L/5L/20L containers of water. Dispense into your 500ml bottles at your leisure. Newspapers are for reading and glass cleaning, not curling one out onto.

A.

Mr Right time…100℅ accurate… Took me two years tho to find it was better to have a recaptle to ■■■■ in …rather than lean out of the door and try ( ffing fell out once ) carry small bottle of disinfectant 5% solution…Bingo change bottle every 2weeks…use plastic coffee creamer jar…the rest is learning…Don’t and I mean Don’t get big idea’s of having a fry up…you want to see and smell the cabs of those that have…Just washing up all take you 10 mins…if done properly…