Staveley Chemicals

hi new to this so bide with me,started at staveley 1968 till 1996 so here goes that chlorine atki tanker jack woods driver ,did my chlorine training on that next picture of tanker loading colin bowles-men in picture I have photo of the trucks in a circle they arranged names later,i knew geore bloomer met Gordon in crystal peaks 2 years agocan give info on drivers later I drove the jumbo nirtro-benzine tanker [clue] enough for nowmor titbits later [we were well paid] see you

Rhone Poulenc also bought out Sturge chemicals in Kings Norton around this time ,what was the connection with George Bloomer and coalite ? Did he once work there ? .

Was this the same firm ?

Regards. John.

Don’t know if there was a connection but s & s were iron founders ,my dad used to take scrap bales to Stanton most days but not very often to staveley .

orvill:
hi new to this so bide with me,started at staveley 1968 till 1996 so here goes that chlorine atki tanker jack woods driver ,did my chlorine training on that next picture of tanker loading colin bowles-men in picture I have photo of the trucks in a circle they arranged names later,i knew geore bloomer met Gordon in crystal peaks 2 years agocan give info on drivers later I drove the jumbo nirtro-benzine tanker [clue] enough for nowmor titbits later [we were well paid] see you

Hi Orvill and welcome I knew a few of the Staveley driver by sight when I was on Sykes and one lad I knew fairly well had long hair around shoulder length as we often had a brew or breakfast together when running out of Immingham Storage and I can’t recall his name :blush:

cheers Johnnie :wink:

IIRC Suttons took over all the transport from SCL.You could load and tip 24/7 at the BTC plant,it was always a very busy place.I think J.Pass from Chesterfield did some drum work out of there and another local haulier who did the same,whose name escapes me - as usual :laughing:

Hi Chris,

Yes Suttons took over the transport in 1996 and they later lost it to DHL,

hi john foden artic was driven by bill Wallace I also trained on her it was Stanton/staveley before chemicals, another titbit longhaired driver would be wack walker hope it helps lots to come [ got writers block] :wink
: regards gordon

Hiya when stanton and staverly had the pipe works my uncle had a fleet of AEC,s on contract their after AECs died he had Merceedes.
he also had lorries on the Bass contract at Burton…no photos seem to be around though of Stone and Ogan AEC,s with Staverley pipes on.
John.

Punchy Dan:
Rhone Poulenc also bought out Sturge chemicals in Kings Norton around this time ,what was the connection with George Bloomer and coalite ? Did he once work there ? .

george bloomer worked for l p g out of orgreave

charlie griffin:

Punchy Dan:

Rhone Poulenc had a site in Gloucester , from S WAles amongst others it was served by Calor transport then based at Three ■■■■■ Brecon , regards Keith .

I was running to Staveley for a couple of years up to closure, running sulphur from Esso fawley, working for Hoyer (red fleet) double shifting with myself being the day driver. At 30 tonne a load my/our lorry was delivering 300 tonnes a week. From Feruary 2007 we carried the molten sulphur to Rhodias other plant at Runcorn for a while and then the exFawley sulphur was shipped to France, did that for a few months but I think the french put in a better price so I moved on to another contract. Still got my Rhodia and Fawley site passes somewhere will try and sort them out and post them on here.

Chris Webb:

coca cola kid:
Hi remembering a few working out of there, some of there drivers Waker, Jeff,other tankers Fearns, Lambsons Norman Lewis. Taylors ( Litchfield) Blackrod Motors, George Bloomer, Meeks, S J Barrick

I worked for A.E.Evans from 1970 to 1979 and Staveley Chem was a regular place for me.We only did work out of BTC - benzene,toluene,cyclohexane plant.I went back in there in 1994 working for George Bloomer on the same work.I remember Fearns and Barricks well and also Benzene Transport who double-shifted their motors.I remember a Geoff on SCL transport,a bit of a comedian,I think his second name was Bottoms or something similar.Their own drivers were on top money.
Here’s a few photos,courtesy of Bonkey Dollocks or Flatman001.

And a few from my mate,Gordon Howarth who also worked for Evans,M and D and George Bloomer.
This is the old BTC plant.

One of George Bloomers ERF’s.

And one of M D T who worked out of SCL as well.

IIRC Suttons took over all the transport from SCL.You could load and tip 24/7 at the BTC plant,it was always a very busy place.I think J.Pass from Chesterfield did some drum work out of there and another local haulier who did the same,whose name escapes me - as usual :laughing:

Finally,I had summat like this when I first started with Evans in SCL :smiley:

My father worked for Evans in the sixties and Seventies , Stanton and Staveley was usually a sat morning run for him. Spent many a hour in his old AEC. The BP works at stroud also springs to mind.

snelly:
My father worked for Evans in the sixties and Seventies , Stanton and Staveley was usually a sat morning run for him. Spent many a hour in his old AEC. The BP works at stroud also springs to mind.

That would be big Ken Snell then Snelly,I knew him well,he was good to me when I first started with Evans in 1969,showing me the ropes as it were.He was on a BP contract at Saltend,Hull at the time.

charlie griffin:

Punchy Dan:

He also worked for A E Evans Charlie,eventually going on his own with a Volvo artic,maybe an F7,not sure.He was running crude benzole into Staveley BTC and later running pure product out.

Chris Webb:

snelly:

That would be big Ken Snell then Snelly,I knew him well,he was good to me when I first started with Evans in 1969,showing me the ropes as it were.He was on a BP contract at Saltend,Hull at the time.

That 127 number looks familiar along with the red cab diamond. He was driving the artics when he finished, I will have been about 14 when i took my last run with him. We ended up in Coventry . Not being allowed into the plant me and my mate had to have a wander around. We were gone hours. The old man was steaming when we got back. No mobiles in them days to check on us.

snelly:

Chris Webb:

snelly:

That 127 number looks familiar along with the red cab diamond. He was driving the artics when he finished, I will have been about 14 when i took my last run with him. We ended up in Coventry . Not being allowed into the plant me and my mate had to have a wander around. We were gone hours. The old man was steaming when we got back. No mobiles in them days to check on us.

Fleet 127 was a Sheffield based MK3 snelly so could well be your dad driving it on what looks like a hot day.He finished up driving an AEC Mammoth Minor XBY 508G which was ex Thomas Allen…I don’t have a photo of it in Evans livery.The Coventry plant would be the smokeless fuel plant,Coventry Homefire I think they called it,at Keresley,we used to take boiler fuel in there from the NCB refinery at Wath on Dearne.

XBY508G.jpg

Chris Webb:

snelly:

Chris Webb:

snelly:

Fleet 127 was a Sheffield based MK3 snelly so could well be your dad driving it on what looks like a hot day.He finished up driving an AEC Mammoth Minor XBY 508G which was ex Thomas Allen…I don’t have a photo of it in Evans livery.The Coventry plant would be the smokeless fuel plant,Coventry Homefire I think they called it,at Keresley,we used to take boiler fuel in there from the NCB refinery at Wath on Dearne.

Well made up Chris. Thats a cracking picture of his last ride for Evans. I can almost see myself sat in the cab along side him. I have been class 1 since 1985, but never saw much of my old fella on the road. Saying that, i did have a little go at the minor when he was feeling generous :grimacing: Cheers.

[/quote]
Well made up Chris. Thats a cracking picture of his last ride for Evans. I can almost see myself sat in the cab along side him. I have been class 1 since 1985, but never saw much of my old fella on the road. Saying that, i did have a little go at the minor when he was feeling generous :grimacing: Cheers.
[/quote]
He also drove this at BP Saltend,the only one in BP livery.It was originally Bob Snaggs’ wagon I think…it’s a Peter Davies photo and I drove it myself now and again on holiday relief at Hull.Those MK5 Mammoth Majors were a great tool.I also took that Mammoth Minor of his to Baglan Bay one Saturday,my Mandator was off the road and yer dad didn’t want the job. :smiley:

evans21.jpg

Chris Webb:

[/quote]
He also drove this at BP Saltend,the only one in BP livery.It was originally Bob Snaggs’ wagon I think…it’s a Peter Davies photo and I drove it myself now and again on holiday relief at Hull.Those MK5 Mammoth Majors were a great tool.I also took that Mammoth Minor of his to Baglan Bay one Saturday,my Mandator was off the road and yer dad didn’t want the job. :smiley:
[/quote]
I can’t recall the BP livered AEC, and i must say , i had’nt relised he had worked out of Hull on a regular contract. He did spend some time away,but i don’t recall it being a week at a time. Did the BP truck move to Wybourne when the firm moved from Queens Rd?

snelly:

Chris Webb:

[/quote]
I can’t recall the BP livered AEC, and i must say , i had’nt relised he had worked out of Hull on a regular contract. He did spend some time away,but i don’t recall it being a week at a time. Did the BP truck move to Wybourne when the firm moved from Queens Rd?
[/quote]
He was on the BP Saltend contract in 1969 when I started. They moved to Cricket Inn Road in 1970 and I don’t remember seeing that MK5 in BP colours at Queens Road. I reckon Evans pulled out of Saltend about 1974/5 and Ken took his Class one and went onto spot hire like me about that time.BP wanted artics in there and Evans would not do it,we had a load of work out of BP/Amoco at Easington on Spurn Head on the gas condensate work to Immingham and Wath so I suppose it were a better rate. Ha ha,I remember he weren’t keen on nights out and one day he were loaded for Prestonpans ont A1 towards Edinburgh from Saltend. He shot up to Boroughbridge int wagon,got a lift to Sheffield and took his car to Boroughbridge next morning,tipped P’pans and back to B’bridge. I swapped him one Friday and did a load to Slateford Edinburgh,tip Saturday and run home.He took my wagon and did a Saturday tip at BXL at Darton,Barnsley.He said he were getting fed up with nights away but to be honest the BP job was a doddle,no rushing about and that’s why he stayed ont job until it ended. I lost touch with Evans in 1979 when I moved to MFS at Maltby and didn’t get to hear about your dad’s death until years later.Very sad,he was a nice feller,straight as a die,had some rayt laughs with him.
Have you any photos?