Starting to think everyone has done their DCPC

Hi all. I am new to this board, but have been reading it for a while to gauge up to date thoughts and opinions on DCPC. I have just gone into training but going by the situation in my area, it seems everyone has done their DCPC. :unamused:

So few drivers have completed their DCPC that it is already accepted in the industry that there won’t be enough time left before the deadline to train them all.

We have been to visits loads of businesses and they all say they have already done it

not done it and dont itend to lol

My own mind is its a waste of time and money this is the sort of job you cant really learn in a classroom, you get on the job training.

Have you just started a DCPC training business?

Most of the big fleets probably have it in hand by now.

Some of the smaller transport businesses still think they don’t need it for one reason or another. One of the funniest ones I have heard was an old boy who said: “My wife’s got the CPC, so we’re OK.”

And businesses which do not have transport as a core but still run, say a number of 7.5 tonners, probably don’t know anything about it.

I’d concentrate on them…

Yes GasGas, we have just started a training business. We have started to look at some of the smaller companies. Some larger companies are claiming they are getting it for ÂŁ22 per driver as the training company is tied to a college. Have you heard of that?

Nothing surprises me when it comes to big companies…it’s quite possible that they have done this kind of deal.

Most of the big bus & coach companies simply got their in-house training dept and courses accredited by Jaupt and just carried on.

the last few years have seen a drive down as far as quality and price go for third-party Driver CPC training.

I suspect things may now have bottomed out though, and you can expect an unholy rush as Sept 2014 approaches.

If you can offer training on a weekend you will be in demand!

If you wait, they will come!

ugt:
Yes GasGas, we have just started a training business. We have started to look at some of the smaller companies. Some larger companies are claiming they are getting it for ÂŁ22 per driver as the training company is tied to a college. Have you heard of that?

Can I ask a question?? What experience have you got in the industry??

I would say that even for a new driver, the useful parts of the DCPC course could be distilled into less than a day’s study. I spent a whole afternoon of my 5 day course having to listen to an explanation of what those minor categories on the bottom of a driving licence are, moped, invalid carriage, lawn mower etc. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I have over 25 years driving experience and 20 years heavy vehicle recovery experience, as well as 10 years training experience :open_mouth:

My DCPC trainer was so fed up with it all that he was more interested in asking me how to become an owner-driver than teaching me the course. :wink:

I got my 35 hours in, on a URTU microwave deal, all done in 35 minutes, ping.

ugt:
I have over 25 years driving experience and 20 years heavy vehicle recovery experience, as well as 10 years training experience :open_mouth:

Shouldn’t you be relaxing with your pipe and slippers right about now then?

I have my card.During the courses I engaged with the trainers but some of the other candidates just sat waiting for the hours to tick by.

i’ll do a home study course, but i certainly won’t waste 35 hours of my time in a classroom.

limeyphil:
i’ll do a home study course, but i certainly won’t waste 35 hours of my time in a classroom.

I don’t think there is one Phil.

ugt:

The agency i work with get all their drivers together on a saturday, charge each one ÂŁ20 :grimacing: (up to 30 in a class) for the day and this includes a buffet lunch :smiley:,

and always come out feeling full :blush:

£22 quid a head ■■? them guys are being ripped off :sunglasses:

In my area most are in denial :unamused: :wink:

“it’s gonna get cancelled”
“They don’t mean me”
“They’ll never enforce it”
“I’m gonna retire”
“I’m exempt 'cos I only drive at night!”
“if we all refuse to do it they’ll have to back down” etc etc

I’m coming across quite a few companies now that have suddenly woken up to having to get it sorted and realised they’ve got catching up to do now and fitting in the 5 courses by the deadline is actually a bit of a pain.

A lot want Saturdays - but of course there is only one of those a week so they soon get booked up. i have one client about to book 60 Saturday’s in a row (I hope) … which means i can’t do Saturday’s for anyone else for the next year.

Hi Shep.

I know this is off topic, but I was looking at your website (well I guess it is your website :laughing: ) I notice that you use PayPal. Are Paypal ok to use and do many drivers pay this way?

I have done mine, by this I mean, I got 21 hours because I did my ADR and then did two days to complete, but I think the whole thing is ill thought out to begin with, it should be beneficial to the job and not just a turn up and sit it. It really needs to be better administered, because at the moment, it seems you can do the same module, 5 times and still get the card. This is ■■■■, and I speak with 35 years driving artics, this needs to be sorted.

Sapper