Starting to think everyone has done their DCPC

sapper:
I have done mine, by this I mean, I got 21 hours because I did my ADR and then did two days to complete, but I think the whole thing is ill thought out to begin with, it should be beneficial to the job and not just a turn up and sit it. It really needs to be better administered, because at the moment, it seems you can do the same module, 5 times and still get the card. This is [zb], and I speak with 35 years driving artics, this needs to be sorted.

Sapper

But why would someone do the same module 5 times? I guess the inventors of the scheme figured nobody would be that daft :wink:

There are occasions where repeating the course is a good thing. Example - ex-squaddie just left the services and never used tachos or even considered the rules, see a digi tacho etc

he comes on a course and takes in some of it. Goes off and gets a job, gets in a bit of practice then comes back and sits the course again. this re-confirms some of what he thought he’d learnt, he learns a bit more and goes back to his employer even wiser.

What about those with learning difficulties? I’ve come across a few that can’t read or write very well. Nothing wrong with this but they need different training that an open course can’t cater for - especially for rules and regulations. Some of these I have met get nothing but abuse off their boss who doesn’t care less what difficulties they have or why they can’t read the company memos.

if anyone doesn’t want to do the same course more than once - don’t. But there are some with valid reasons for doing so.

I think any kind of clause regarding repeating of courses would be less beneficial than many think.

ugt:
Hi Shep.

I know this is off topic, but I was looking at your website (well I guess it is your website :laughing: ) I notice that you use PayPal. Are Paypal ok to use and do many drivers pay this way?

Papal yes and no. it solves a problem but I normally encourage people to come in and pay cash :smiley: :smiley: Cheaper for them and has other advantages for me. Unless of course they then don’t turn up - but I’ve had a few book online, pay with paypal then not show up as well :open_mouth:

I mainly deal with companies so it doesn’t come into it really. it wasn’t worth setting up with full merchant facilities to take credit cards so PayPal kindda works.

shep532:

ugt:
Hi Shep.

I know this is off topic, but I was looking at your website (well I guess it is your website :laughing: ) I notice that you use PayPal. Are Paypal ok to use and do many drivers pay this way?

Papal yes and no. it solves a problem but I normally encourage people to come in and pay cash :smiley: :smiley: Cheaper for them and has other advantages for me. Unless of course they then don’t turn up - but I’ve had a few book online, pay with paypal then not show up as well :open_mouth:

I mainly deal with companies so it doesn’t come into it really. it wasn’t worth setting up with full merchant facilities to take credit cards so PayPal kindda works.

how much was you quoted shep? i’ve just ordered a mobile terminal. £100 upfront, then £25 per month and around 1% per transaction.

shep532:
In my area most are in denial :unamused: :wink:

“it’s gonna get cancelled”
“They don’t mean me”
“They’ll never enforce it”
“I’m gonna retire”
“I’m exempt 'cos I only drive at night!”
“if we all refuse to do it they’ll have to back down” etc etc

I don’t think it will go away, but I do think the deadline will be extended or it will be dumbed down. There will be nowhere near enough drivers with the qualification by 2013 and the only other option would seem to be to have food shortages in the shops, which is fairly unthinkable.

Personally I think a better format would be for every driver to have had to sit an 2 hour exam on various aspects of transport. Those who pass gain the qualification, those who fail have to take a course.

limeyphil:
how much was you quoted shep? i’ve just ordered a mobile terminal. £100 upfront, then £25 per month and around 1% per transaction.

I didn’t go as far as getting quotes. PayPal was free to setup and the % fees aren’t too bad. To be honest I wanted to avoid credit cards actually in the training centre so payPal just gave me the online facility.

£25 per month would be a waste at the moment the amount of card payments I do - but it’s something I need to look at as a lot of drivers would probably find paying by card easier.

Harry Monk:
I don’t think it will go away, but I do think the deadline will be extended or it will be dumbed down. There will be nowhere near enough drivers with the qualification by 2013 and the only other option would seem to be to have food shortages in the shops, which is fairly unthinkable.

Personally I think a better format would be for every driver to have had to sit an 2 hour exam on various aspects of transport. Those who pass gain the qualification, those who fail have to take a course.

That’ll be 2014 for us lot :smiley:

There are probably plenty of good ideas to alter the scheme but we are currently stuck with the one we have.

As for a driver shortage … The problem is that the authorities, me, you and anyone else has no idea how many people need the DQC. A lot of licence holders don’t need it.

The views you get on Trucknet are - in my opionion - missleading. Trucknet is a pretty small section of the licence holders. I rarely come across a Trucknet member out there. I also think a lot of the comments on here are just ‘bluster’ and some of those shouting from the rooftops that they won’t do it have actually been on a course or 2 already. I’ve come across a couple of drivers who have booked a DCPC with me but checked nobody else from their place was on it cos they didn’t want their mates to know. You might not want to believe that but it’s fact.

We all know we are losing drivers faster than they are entering the industry - but that isn’t all down to the DCPC. The job is not what it once was. profit margins are 3 - 5% at best in the real world, wages are rediculously low for drivers. I joined the industry at what I call the end of the good days … I saw a couple of years of good growth and good wages seeing where i worked go from 12 trucks to 75 but they are back down below 50 now.

I don’t believe any deadlines will be extended - that’d be the government giving in. Dumbed down? I’ll have that yes. But to what degree? According to the office of The traffic Commissioner initial enforcement will be simple - stop driving now and go get a course, no further action. For those ■■■■■■■■ few refusing to do the DCPC this will see them exit the industry - until they realise they miss driving and go get their DQC. The rest that will be caught are those that simply don’t know about the DCPC (I meet plenty - usually restricted Ops licence owners with a few 7.5tonners and one man bands) and they’ll get a course booked pronto and get back to work.

Whether we agree with it or not the authorities have already started leaning on Operators to sort it out and most will simply because they need their Ops licence to trade. VOSA and the TCs are apparently going to start speaking with Operators and also send letters to every single one. There is going to be a mad rush at some point and it is a proven fact that currently there aren’t enough training providers - courses will become difficult to find but according to official figures over half the number they think need the DCPC have made a start on it and completed ‘some’ training. Numbers attending are increasing. Latest DSA quotes (Motortransport this week) are that everything is just about on schedule.

Once the trade press is full of stories about PSV/PCV Operators being dealt with by VOSA and the TC’s the rest of the haulage world will jump into action by September 2014

I don’t agree 100% with the current scheme and I have written letters, sent emails and spoken to the DSA, JAUPT and even Beverley Bell regarding changes I’d like to see. But i do agree training is needed.

@ shep532

Excellent posts and some very valid points made particularly the one about learning difficulties and your experience of those who suffer from them and will continue to suffer if no-one address’ the issue in a sympathetic way. Let’s face it…no-one but no-one wants to be seen in that way especially in the work place.
Slow learning in reading and writing doesn’t affect the ability to drive and handle HGV’s proficiently but it does hinder the understanding of all the other rules, regulations & legislation that go with it. That is the disadvantage. The only disadvantage and it’s pleasing to see some recognise it and would be prepared to help. Better still that it would be an industry wide responsibility.

I’ve not done the DCPC. It’s not that I dont want to do it, I would willingly do it.

The reason I’ve not done it is purely financial, I dont have the money to pay for it myself and no other zb is going to pay for it.

Tiger.

With the post above in mind … what would people think about some kind of easy payment option? Like Kays catalogue - pay weekly?

Maybe a direct debit scheme?

Something I’ve been thinking about.

Pete

Solly:
@ shep532

Excellent posts and some very valid points made particularly the one about learning difficulties and your experience of those who suffer from them and will continue to suffer if no-one address’ the issue in a sympathetic way. Let’s face it…no-one but no-one wants to be seen in that way especially in the work place.
Slow learning in reading and writing doesn’t affect the ability to drive and handle HGV’s proficiently but it does hinder the understanding of all the other rules, regulations & legislation that go with it. That is the disadvantage. The only disadvantage and it’s pleasing to see some recognise it and would be prepared to help. Better still that it would be an industry wide responsibility.

Had a booking today for 14 drivers at their own premises. Should have been 15 but one won’t do it because he is embarrased about not being very good at writing and doesn’t want the other drivers to know.

After a bit of discussing with his employer we now have 15 on the course. When it comes to the written parts I will have the booking in form pre-filled in for him, he just needs to sign. Nobody will notice. I’ll avoid a written test and we’ll do it as some kind of group quiz instead.

I can’t much help him with his difficulties - not what I do - but I can help make sure he isn’t embarrased in front of his colleagues.

shep532:
…I can’t much help him with his difficulties - not what I do - but I can help make sure he isn’t embarrased in front of his colleagues.

Well it’s a positive step forward… and there you go… you did “Help him” back into the learning process which can only be beneficial to him.
Bet he was a relieved man when he got to know what you have done for him.

We have had one session only,(Tacho hours) with my upcoming HIAB licence renewal allocation of 8 hours counting towards it, I still have a long way to go!
I regulary ask our transport dept what is happening and all I get told is there is ‘plenty of time’
Knocking me head against the wall really!

I can see a lot of employers leaving it down to the driver, and basically they can say like it or lump it, if you don’t do it, they will employ someone els who has done it.

In my company, I have decided to pay the course and choose the module but the drivers need to supply the time. We did our first unit last Saturday.