starting c+e

well the time has come to do my c+e that am starting on monday at 12:30, some of you will remeber i passed my c last month 1st time with 5minors am just woundering if you got some tips for me like last time because they helped alot so hope your goin to help me again :slight_smile:
At least this time i wont have to worry about messing gears up like when i started on my c so think main couple things will be the reverse and just general turning, am doing it in a artic not wagon&drag so any help will help me lots :slight_smile:

Turns will be wider to allow for the trailer to cut in and not mount the curb.

Slow things down even sooner as you have potentially 44t to control.

Allow for length when pulling out at roundabouts.

Reversing is something that can only be taught with practise.

The uncouple / coupling is usually taught with B L A C K.

B rake
L egs
A irlines and Electrics
C lip
K ingpin

Make sure you do 2 strong tugs to make sure the pin is fully located.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s things Iā€™ve missed. Others will be along to fill in the gaps.

Best of luck.

dar1976:
Turns will be wider to allow for the trailer to cut in and not mount the curb.

Slow things down even sooner as you have potentially 44t to control.

Allow for length when pulling out at roundabouts.

Reversing is something that can only be taught with practise.

The uncouple / coupling is usually taught with B L A C K.

B rake
L egs
A irlines and Electrics
C lip
K ingpin

Make sure you do 2 strong tugs to make sure the pin is fully located.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s things Iā€™ve missed. Others will be along to fill in the gaps.

Best of luck.

New one i learnt, ā€œBow to the Trailerā€ before you reverse the unit under the trailer bow down to check that the height of the trailer isnt higher than the fifth wheel and when you apply/release the trailer brake look the examiner straight in the face so he seeā€™s you are doing it.

Good luck

Madguy :smiling_imp:

Donā€™t forget to ask the examiner to check your lights when you re-couple. (almost an :blush:
If you ā– ā– ā– ā–  the reverse up, donā€™t forget you can take one shunt and get it all back in line, summat I forgot in the heat of the moment first time round :blush: .

All of the above are very relevant but you must try to relax and enjoy the experience, oh and keep checking those mirrors more than class Cā€¦ :wink:

thanks every1 think am more nervus this time, for my c i wasent nervus i was something alot worse :confused:
think its just the whole not knowin what to expect sort of thing,
are the tests routes going to be the same as on the c or will they be more open sort of roads because on my c i had to go down some very small roads and stupidly tight junctions so that am abit worried about kind of hoping i dont get the head examiner again as he wasent very talkative which made it worse i think, if he had talked abit i dont think i would have been as nervus

You can also get out to check how far your trailer has to go to the board on the reverse, but you can only do this once. I think it picks you up a minor though just like a shunt.

It proved valuable to me on my artic test as all week I was having problems getting it spot on so as I got out to check on the real thing he was standing behind the trailer and said ā€˜right, thatā€™s you - jump in!ā€™ I wouldnā€™t of said the trailer was in the box and wouldā€™ve went back further hadnā€™t he of said anything and he never marked me down for it.

All the best matey,

relax and enjoy :wink:

my instructor told me last time always get out to check when reversing even though they have a tag on rear mudguard so u can see when your in the box so that wasent realy a problem
cheers :slight_smile: it all starts tomor at 12 so kinda looking forward to it but at the same time craping it to say the least

You will be fine.

You just have to listen to your instructor and relax.

Best of luck for day 1.

cheers :slight_smile: least i havent goy to get used to gears again so be abit infront with that,
just out of interested whats the rough price for a retest? just incase

andyb88:
cheers :slight_smile: least i havent goy to get used to gears again so be abit infront with that,
just out of interested whats the rough price for a retest? just incase

You wont need it so I ainā€™t gonna tell ya :smiley:

Itā€™s 115 + cost of truck hire usually for 2 hours + any extra training your trainer thinks you need.

Set aside 350ish if you are that worried.

payday friday anyway so if need be its there waiting but long as dont mess up i shunt need it :slight_smile:

The examiners may not be very talkative as they may not want to distract you, if you strike up a conversation with him he will feel that you are in control and converse back with you, remember they will only take you down roads that are appropriate so dont worry about that.

I did my class 1 test on friday and drove the same route as my class 2.

Just try to relax and enjoy the drive, use your mirros twice as much as you think you need to and think of every step in your head before you do it ( uncouple/couple) and you will be fine.

Good luck and let us know how you get on, weā€™ll all soon be saying well done to you.

Madguy. :smiling_imp:

i tried talking with the last one and he was just giving 1 word answers so just thought he was been mardy, tried couple times even once sat in traffic and still same so just gave up trying.
Hope i dont get same test route i had on my C town center then up round local rough estate and hope i dnt get head examiner again but suppose wont know till friday

well first day wasent too bad, couple tight corners just cliped curb because couldent get used to how wide i had to take them, today was mainly reversing and trailor drop. reverse wasent too gud just finding it too confusing was slowly getting it after about 9goes so were going back tomor and do some more, overall driving is getting better though no curb but a couple close ones,
any tips on the reverse? hes tryin to get me into garage in 1 as much as possible without using a shunt and am managing but very close

sounds like you did fine foryour first day , are you in artic or w&d , if your getting the reverse on your first day u should be fine , your allowed the shunt so take it dont put extra pressure on yourself to get it in first time , your instructor will have told you how to get in box ie full lock ā€¦run along yellow line ā€¦half turnā€¦then straighten up then another little turn to curve it in , then straighten up into box bingo !!! if you take it slow and just adjust with tiny turns of the wheel it will go where you want it , ive only really learnt that little gem since doing it for myself little is more but im no expert belive me im still learning it now lol , just listen to what your insructor says he will get you there and we will be congratulating you on Fri

good luck

jen x

Wishing you the very best of luck Andy, reading your posts with interest as I have my C+E course starting on 2nd July (passed class C in May and havenā€™t been in a truck since). My trainer told me I would be on the same test routes as my class C testā€¦also got a go in the artic iā€™m going to be training and testing in :astonished: found the 4 over 4 with splitter somewhat interesting compared to the slap over!

My C examiner was a really nice bloke, chatty and happy (surprised me, I was expecting a miserable git!)

Keep the posts coming, get the feeling youā€™re enjoying yourself :smiley:

Tazbug

your in same position as me, passed my c on 4th may and hadent been in anything but car since then but soon got back into it so wasent too bad, yeah am realy enjoying it but realy takes time to get ur head round how much room u actualy need and how small of a area you need to turn it round in, reversing is my worst sticking point atm think long as i get that ok and dnt do anything daft on test i should be ok but suppose wont know till about 3:30 on friday,
thats something i ment to ask, is the test longer than the c because you have the uncouple part aswell or are you just out on road for less time ment to ask my instructor but keep forgetting,

andyb88:
is the test longer than the c because you have the uncouple part aswell or are you just out on road for less time

The road section of a CE test is typically ten minutes shorter than a C test to allow for the uncoupling exercise.