Start tramping again, What do you guys use for data?

Hey all

As title suggests. Start traming again soon. Taking tablet as cant have inverter for TV etc as pet reg truck. What do you lot use for data? I will be using tablet for TV, Netflix and various movie sites around.

‘3’ network. £15 for 15gb sim only on my ipad.

Does that 15gb last you the month. Alot of downtime in my job. Will be watching alot of tv series:)

Can’t you download via PC prior to watch later ? Save tons on data if you can. Or hope there’s a wifi hotspot you can latch onto !

This is a nightmare for me. look up ee buzzard and ospray. They are like mobile wifi hubs at a decent price. problem is if your netflix watching is anything like mine you could use 5GB a day :frowning:

Im undecided what to do but these seem the cheapest option.

Jamiemufu:
Does that 15gb last you the month. Alot of downtime in my job. Will be watching alot of tv series:)

It’s £15 for 10GB not 15GB if you intended watching a lot of TV u will use the data up pretty quick

Download the bbc I player app download programs you want to watch job done no data needed.

I don’t tramp, but I have a dongle for my laptop for time killing purposes.

£15 per month for 10GB on Three. BIt pricey, but worth it for the sheer relief of boredom in RDCs etc. I watch plenty of YouTube on it and have no problems, coverage very good.

By all accounts, mobile broadband is expensive and not really suitable for mass Netflix watching etc.

Giffgaff and Three so unlimited sim only. Not sure I could get away with putting the sim straight into ipad

Jamiemufu:
Giffgaff and Three so unlimited sim only. Not sure I could get away with putting the sim straight into ipad

No & I think they restrict tethering as well. So you can’t get an unlimited SIM for your iPhone and use it as a personal hotspot for your iPad/laptop.

Basically, the phone networks don’t really want people rinsing the networks streaming movies etc. on their big screen devices, hence, don’t offer affordable large data allowances for these.

Three do sim only, unlimited data and texts for £15. If you’ve got android you can get an app which masks the tethering so you can stream all day, every day if you want

Do you use the above method? Reliable?

I pay £15 sim only on 3 , gives me unlimited internet, all I do is tether it to my iPad

If its just to watch TV I bought a dongle thingy off Evilbay that just plugs into your laptop and a ariel to recieve free view no data is used or needed. Think the dongle was around £10 and the digi ariel was around £20, better than paying £15 every month to watch a film that is buffing every 30 seconds.

3 have limited tethering to 2gb on new contracts, not sure when it came in though. My phone has unlimited data though so just use that.

Jamiemufu:

Yes, I have internet radio via my tablet on all day, get a very occasional dropout, but not for long. When I check account online, it still shows 4gb available for tethering, so the app definitely works (pdanet+). You also get free 4g connection when available, if phone is capable of it. I use a cubot p9, which was about £50 new on eBay, makes for a very cheap and reliable data access. 3 also let you use it overseas in a lot of countries for no extra charge, and phone is dual sim so can have work and personal in the same handset - all in all can’t think of a better setup for my purposes.

How about a 12volt tv, directly from the cig lighter socket? Works for me.

Tmobile 3000 minute unlimited data plan with tethering approx 30 quid a month.
Get iplayer etc for tablet and apps like modbro and showbox, download any new films, series etc the weekend ready for the week.

I use a bit of data watching tribbing but can never usually last more than 5 minutes when viewing a 30 minute session so no risk of hitting the fair use policy cut off which is about 5gb I think. The same cant be said for my socks fair use policy which I abuse on a regular basis.

scaniason:

Jamiemufu:

Yes, I have internet radio via my tablet on all day, get a very occasional dropout, but not for long. When I check account online, it still shows 4gb available for tethering, so the app definitely works (pdanet+). You also get free 4g connection when available, if phone is capable of it. I use a cubot p9, which was about £50 new on eBay, makes for a very cheap and reliable data access. 3 also let you use it overseas in a lot of countries for no extra charge, and phone is dual sim so can have work and personal in the same handset - all in all can’t think of a better se tup for my purposes.

We have a winner will try next week and report back. Exactly what I am looking for. Sometimes tthis forum holds a little gen:) thank you very much. You run the app on the host phone right?I.e the device you are using for data NOT the device you intend to tether to? You use android tablet or ipad?

Iv unlimited data on my EE mobile- I have noticed all the major phone players have stopped this unlimited malarky. I hotspot everyday to an iPad. I used 128gb in April-very surprised they havnt mentioned it too me or cut me off as I’d say that’s above their fair use guidelines