Start of the learning curve

I’m sure I’ll come up with plenty of questions but here’s a few to start off with;

(I got my class one on thursday :grimacing: )

Right, heights; Some, if not most, trailers say “13’3” based on a ■■? height fifth wheel" How do you know the height of the fifth wheel and, if it’s different, how do you work out the overall height?

Mudguards; I’ve noticed, especially recently, that many units have had the top of the mudguard removed; by the looks of it, it’s to clear the trailer. Especially on renaults and foreign units. Why would the fifth wheel be so low as to need this!?

Finding your way around; Obviously, you can get away with a fair bit more in a rigid than an artic when it comes to being where you shouldn’t - I’ll give you an example;

I went to m&s faversham yesterday, no idea where it is and all I had on the paperwork was;

M&S faversham
faversham depot
faversham
kent
(postcode)

So, on went the satnav which took me to within about 5miles of the place and then directed me through alsorts of residential streets (nearly didn’t make it in a 26tonner) and we’re there. BUT on the way out I could see a much easier way back to the motorway. I’d’ve been in trouble in an artic, I’d’ve had an outragous amount of reversing to do :blush:

So, how do you get round this? I couldn’t plan a route with my map because I didn’t know where it was - what can you do?

if you have a tomtom that will take an sd card then you can put tomtom truck on it. that will allow you to st height/weight/axle weights/width/speed/ length.
as for the other questions i will let the more learned folk on here advise you.
congrats on passing your class 1 :smiley:

Wing tops, as a rule a UK truck should have them. If not, then def needs a trailer on covering the tops of the rear wheels to avoid PG9’s.

We have no height limit for HGVs in the UK, though in Europe its 4 metres, so every cm counts, hence lower trailers and often no wing tops. Our bridges are all 16’6" unless otherwise stated.

darkseeker:
I went to m&s faversham yesterday, no idea where it is and all I had on the paperwork was;

M&S faversham
faversham depot
faversham
kent
(postcode)

One thing i do if you get an incomplete address or no postcode etc , if you have internet on your phone google for example m&s faversham warehouse , if that dont work ring the office and let them sort it , should have provided you with a complete address , at the end of the day your not a bloody mind reader :smiley:

Thankyou. Yeah, iphone’s pretty good for that - I got caught out really yesterday because I assumed those 5miles would be simple with it being an r.d.c. usually if there’s a bad route there’s a good route signposted. Just worried about doing similar in a bendy and getting stuck :blush:

It’s not height, weight etc that’s the problem really, I went through some tight streets yesterday that an artic wouldn’t have made it through - the 26t I was in only just squeezed round a few junctions. What I need really is a program for my laptop that I put a postcode in and it shows me exactly where it is on a map (without the need for internet or phone signal) then I can use my trucker’s atlas to plan a decent route. I’m also going to start marking places on my map so I dont need to do this (memory’s not a strong point). My satnav will let me see where the place is but it’s touch screen and a p.i.t.a at the best of times :laughing:

darkseeker:
Thankyou. Yeah, iphone’s pretty good for that - I got caught out really yesterday because I assumed those 5miles would be simple with it being an r.d.c. usually if there’s a bad route there’s a good route signposted. Just worried about doing similar in a bendy and getting stuck :blush:

It’s not height, weight etc that’s the problem really, I went through some tight streets yesterday that an artic wouldn’t have made it through - the 26t I was in only just squeezed round a few junctions. What I need really is a program for my laptop that I put a postcode in and it shows me exactly where it is on a map (without the need for internet or phone signal) then I can use my trucker’s atlas to plan a decent route. I’m also going to start marking places on my map so I dont need to do this (memory’s not a strong point). My satnav will let me see where the place is but it’s touch screen and a p.i.t.a at the best of times :laughing:

I see where you are coming from but seriously how did truckers get by the last 100 years without all the info you have and the same issues? Stop worrying about what if, in my opinion all you need is to switch on and if it looks too tight it normally is so stop/dont go into street/junction with getting out and having a wander down :smiley: We will all of been down roads we shouldn’t of and thought we would get stuck but you will learn by it, what will you learn if you have all the info first? What happens when there is an issue with the route you set up and you have to divert and havent got time to make a new one? Follow your nose you drive a mesters truck now :sunglasses:
To be fair unless there is a warning or its a housing estate with obvious small roads you will find 99% of the time that you will get through without a problem even on the tight ones you will make it through if you plan ahead as you are driving and expect to be shafted round every corner so you can breath a sigh of relief when you get round and it opens up :laughing: :laughing:
Good luck mate, but you dont need all this.
Safe driving :slight_smile:
Edited just to add, never be afraid of asking how to get in a place to when you pull and think “how the ■■■■ am I gonna get in there” just ask one of the staff how the other drivers do it as you havent been before because believe me from experience you look more of a ■■■ for trying it and messing it up by doing it the wrong way first :smiley:

The time to work out where exactly you are going is before you set off.The moment that you are handed paperwork you should be scrutinising it straight away.Check addresses there and then.Do not rely on post codes,often they can refer to a Head Office or similar.Get straight onto the person who gave you the paperwork if it’s wrong.If you are still unsure there may be other drivers around who can be of help.If you have got more than one drop to do make sure the wagon is loaded in the right order otherwise your stuffed.Make sure you read and understand your paperwork properly,if not you may turn up at your first drop only to discover it’s a collection and you’ve nowhere to put it because your full.

There are no miracle cures to the getting lost / stuck game mate.

No matter what we tell you, how well you plan it and how many times you’ve been there, something will happen 1 day that will cause you to be lost, stuck and downright frustrated at the time too.

It’s good character building :smiley:

Honestly, one of the junctions yesterday I came down a one way street which was only just wide enough really and turned left at the end with cars parked both sides of the road, I missed the one on the front offside corner by maybe 3" and the one on the nearside by maybe half an inch. And there was a far easier route - hence the question.

darkseeker:

mappoint 2010 or before allows all this plus if you have the lappy in the cab then google maps is good as well, both do post code searches etc.
on my mappoint 2010 i have been sent a little program that opens mappoint showing all speed cams and low bridges. a good tool.so with tomtom truck laptop and my trusty low bridges map book i dont seem to get many problems.

Sat Navs and mapping programs can be useful, but they are tools for a job not a reason to switch the brain off and follow it without thought.
Post Codes work over an area, but on a digital map it will be a single point, although 5 miles seems a bit out. The same goes with Google maps, when it pin points a building it still can be out by a fair bit.

Think about the address you are given.
M&S Depot?
Although I wouldn’t guarantee that every RDC isn’t down some back street. Mostly it shouldn’t be :smiley: and by it’s very nature it should have reasonable access for trucks. So if your sat nav is sending you down back streets, alarm bells shoud be ringing.
As has been said there is asking were you work and the other drivers, and of course there is also stopping and asking the locals. Especially postie’s and parcel van drivers or at petrol stations.

Muckles; usually I’m alright with this, I’m not one of the follow satnav blindly brigade - I just got caught out, but a fair point.

As has been said, I should have asked the office for more info but the company’s normally really good i.e. if it’s difficult to find or there’s a right and wrong way they’ll tell you and often print/draw a little map so I was confident I was o.k.

I had a quick look at my map book before setting off and it didn’t look to be a problem, incidently I remember thinking the satnav was saying off at the junction I would have done. Sadly, the map isn’t detailed enough for me to see that there’s a nice easy way and a bloody awful way. Valuable lesson learned though.

Anyone tell me about the 5th wheel heights?

what sat nav is it, on tom tom you can look at map view and zoom in to see where it is. yiu can also download low bridgez as a poi

What I used to do when pulling the plant around is put the postcode into the satnav, view the route in road list form, then check out that route in my bridge height atlas. If there looked like a better way round using more main roads then I’d either re-programme the satnav to follow that route, or get to a certain point then follow the map/my nose.

As others have said, get out and have a look if a road looks dodgy - rather this than be reversing back down it!

I only went disasterously wrong once when I turned a corner to be confronted by an unexpected bridge. It was about 14’ something, and I was 16.3 :open_mouth: I couldn’t turn round, I couldn’t reverse as there was a queue of traffic behind me from the traffic lights so I thought I might have to do a runner :laughing: Fortunately, my load was 2 scania tractor units, so I had to unload them, drive under the bridge, then drive them under and back onto the trailer :blush: :blush:

Can’t do that with most loads though! Be vigilent, look ahead, think ahead and don’t be worried about looking stupid. Good luck!

I use the AA close up truckers atlas first of all, it does have every single road on it, albeit the very small roads are very faint and don’t have enough detail to navigate from, it gives you a good idea.

With minor roads, ones over 4 metres wide are a thick white line, less than 4 metres is a thin white line. I’ve found this particularly useful when driving in the sticks.

I always check the address with the person giving me the paperwork, and often go over things a couple of times, even if they end up thinking im daft, i’d rather make sure I know what i’m doing. Transport planners often talk too quickly, its simple to them because they have spent the day putting the route together, you can’t absorb it all in 30 seconds, at least I can’t. With a lot of people they also don’t really care, it isn’t there problem, they don’t have to get there, but you do.

I usually check the postcode with the google maps app on my phone to make sure it corresponds with the address. Google maps has a far better navigation browsing system that my satnav. If the postcode is clearly wrong, then I won’t use it at all, and will attempt to google for the correct address. It’s amazing how many postcodes are complete nonsense. I then try and get a picture in my head with the satelite view fuction as well. Gives an idea if the delivery is in an industrial type area, in which case access should be ok, or a residential type area in which case access may be a bit more difficult and should be given more planning.

I have a satnav, but I never follow its directions, I use it mainly for time estimations (whatever it says +30 mins) and to see tight turns in the road ahead that you may not be able to see yet. I’ve seen how many times it gives very bad advice, I simply now just let it run and use it to find (what it thinks is) the entrance when i’m on the correct road. If you follow the route it gives you, no matter the settings, it will often take me a way I don’t want to go.

I know some people have a lot of success with sat navs, but i’m still not keen. Mine is an entry level tomtom and no truck features so maybe that’s why, but I like to know my route in advance, not turn by turn.

I also know that we all used to manage before we had all this, but if it saves me stress and time then I am all for using every bit of tech available to me, even if it seems a bit long winded.

As for heights, i’ve seen units so far with fifth wheel heights marked, though very few have. They do vary a bit, i’ve seen 1250 and 1280, that is over an inch difference, so never assume your unit corresponds with what the trailer says. Get a tape measure, if it says 13’3 based on a 1250 fifth wheel height, then deduct 1250mm from 13’3 that will give you the height of the trailer alone, then measure from the rubbing plate to the floor with the tape to give your actual fifth wheel height and add that to the trailer height to give your total running height. (Make sure your air is set to running height if you have just hooked up).

Hope that makes sense.

When I was messing about with TNT trailers, they had the trailer height displayed i.e. the height of the headboard, rather than the total height. So you would measure your own fifth wheel height and add it to this.

When looking at the route I will usually avoid a bridge that comes within an inch of my running height. I would hope the signs will allow for a small amount of error, in that if you are bang on the height that the bridge displays you should go under, but i’m not prepared to risk it. Although if you hit it, you will probably be in a better legal position, if you were at the height rather than over it. I’d rather not find out.

Would be nice to measure from the top of the trailer, but most i’ve tried aren’t square enough to hook the tape on, so unless you are willing to climb up there, and i’m not, you can’t do it that way. Without one of those pole measuring things that car transporter drivers have.

darkseeker:
So, how do you get round this? I couldn’t plan a route with my map because I didn’t know where it was - what can you do?

there’s a list of some RDCs with maps here

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12435

If there’s any missing that you know let us know and the list can be updated

–bob–:
what sat nav is it, on tom tom you can look at map view and zoom in to see where it is. yiu can also download low bridgez as a poi

it’s a sony, I’m about due a new one though I suppose.

Can’t think how I managed before all the electric gadgets… oh yes I do …common sense!
Ordinary maps and asking directions always sufficed.
Get stuck ? of course I did but like 99.99% of drivers got out without a massive tragedy.
Stop worrying, lifes too short, just enjoy the job!

darkseeker:
I’m sure I’ll come up with plenty of questions but here’s a few to start off with;

(I got my class one on thursday :grimacing: )

Right, heights; Some, if not most, trailers say “13’3” based on a ■■? height fifth wheel" How do you know the height of the fifth wheel and, if it’s different, how do you work out the overall height?

Mudguards; I’ve noticed, especially recently, that many units have had the top of the mudguard removed; by the looks of it, it’s to clear the trailer. Especially on renaults and foreign units. Why would the fifth wheel be so low as to need this!?

Finding your way around; Obviously, you can get away with a fair bit more in a rigid than an artic when it comes to being where you shouldn’t - I’ll give you an example;

M&S faversham
faversham depot
faversham
kent
(postcode)

So, on went the satnav which took me to within about 5miles of the place and then directed me through alsorts of residential streets (nearly didn’t make it in a 26tonner) and we’re there. BUT on the way out I could see a much easier way back to the motorway. I’d’ve been in trouble in an artic, I’d’ve had an outragous amount of reversing to do :blush:

My first day out in an artic was last month. I’ve been doing agency work driving 26t’ers for National Hickman pretty much solidly since January. Delivering floor joists and decking, to residential building sites, throughout England and Wales.

I passed my class 1 in January but hadn’t made any use of it. Then one morning the yard manager says: ‘Right six drops, Oxford, Romsey, Eastleigh, Bracknell *2 and Brentford on a night out. Oh, and it’s in an artic’. ‘Yup. Great. No problem’, I say. He bungs the keys at me and off I go. Get the delivery notes, check the load and strap up, then go fill the unit, hook it up and do my checks. No worries, just like a pro… Well alright, a bloody nervous pro that triple-checks everything, at least. :wink:

Oxford was easy enough, a bit tight getting to the site (these building sites are quite often in residential areas down 7.5 ton access only limits etc) but a straightforward reverse and job done. My problem started with the second drop, just North of Romsey in a little village called Upper Timsbury.

Coming south down the A3057, Mesh road and Staff road were both 6’6" limited and way too narrow for an artic with a 15’ high, tri-axle trailer. The next road, Hill view, looked a bit sketchy but there were no limitations on it, so in I went.

It is quite a posh little village and I couldn’t help but notice the looks of horror/disapproval as this dirty great monster of a truck forced its way into their tranquil little haven, trees rubbing against both curtains and branches cracking overhead.

I got to the turning onto New road, squeaked around the corner and duly headed north. Now even I could tell that the right turn looked tight on the map, but I thought, ‘the delivery instructions made no mention of an artic prohibition, the TM wouldn’t have sent me on my first day out in an artic somewhere too inaccessible, surely?’ Wrong.

I had a couple of attempts at making the turn but it wasn’t happening. All I was going to do was end up destroying this bloke’s garden wall.

Fortunately, he popped out just as I was considering my options. Turns out he was an HGV driver too and he kindly offered to be see me round. I had to turn left up Hackupps lane then reverse back into manor farm lane, pretty much all unsighted because of the trees. It took me 5 or 6 attempts to get the reverse and a lot of sweat and bother. I could then turn left down Rudd lane. My banks-man then left me with directions to the building site and a dire warning about not trying to exit the site by continuing down Rudd lane. He said he’d pop out and help me repeat the reverse to get out, when I came back.

Off I trundled down this narrow little country lane with a feeling of unease beginning to build, 1/4 of a mile later, I came upon this.

Duly turning left, I headed down to the building site. You guessed it. Nowhere to turn and cars parked on every corner. Bugger!

I made the drop and then wriggled my way backwards maybe 150 winding meters or so (taking out the units offside indicator lens on a gate-post in the process) to the triangle, where the site manager informed me that the only other artic he’d seen come down there, reversed back south-east into Rudd lane before heading back North-West.

Try as I might, I could just not make the turn. Either the telephone pole in the triangle was in the way of the front of the trailer or the drive wheels would just spin as I tried to push the still pretty much fully loaded trailer up the hill and round the bend. I tried everything, diff lock on, lifting the mid axle and raising/lowering the unit suspension to get more grip. But it just wouldn’t have it. After about 30 minutes, the smell of nicely warmed through clutch plates and getting increasingly frustrated and completely drenched in sweat I had a good quick shout at myself, switched off the motor and had a calming moment or two. Deciding that the site manager didn’t know what the hell he was talking about, I got out to survey the situation for myself (again). Having thought about it properly, I pulled forward, and then reversed out North-West (the way I had come in). Made it first time too. Then I pulled forward on Rudd lane and reversed back down South. This time I had the hill on my side and with the trailer going downhill I could finally get traction and the ■■■■ thing turned round. Even then to avoid the telephone pole I had the unit at a very odd angle with its nearside wheels half-way up the bank on the left of the road.

Almost free I headed back up to the tight corner and good as his word, my banks-man popped out to help me with the unsighted reverse. Which I made fairly easy work of the second time round. My thanks must go to that fellow driver who helped me; he really did make the difference.

A drop that in a rigid would have taken about twenty-five minutes, ended up taking me just over two and a half hours.

Drained and too late to get to the next drop, I parked up in a lay-by, stuck it on rest, cooked up and had a glass or two of wine in a pleasant summers evening. The next day the remaining drops passed without incident and seemed a breeze after the previous day.

Talk about a steep learning curve…

Having said that, I actually really enjoyed the challenge and now having done three or four weeks on artics, I’m a lot less phased and more considered about any ‘situations’ I might come up against. Oh, and I am getting much better at judging real-world reversing now. :slight_smile:

A bit of preparation and google maps/streetmap go a long way to reduce drivers anxiety syndrome imho. :wink:

Denis F:

darkseeker:

there’s a list of some RDCs with maps here

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12435

If there’s any missing that you know let us know and the list can be updated

That’s spot on! I’ve got details of co-op at eccleshall (cant see it on there) I’ll p.m. you sometime soon.