Starr Roadways

Sorry it’s taken a long time but i’ve been movin home i’ll have a go at scaning some photo’s for you soon

erf pic at bsc aldwarke delivering to the roll shop,bsc used star at bilston for trailer swap after bsc bilston closed–alan

revman:
erf pic at bsc aldwarke delivering to the roll shop,bsc used star at bilston for trailer swap after bsc bilston closed–alan

R.I.P bob

I used to back load from them 60/70s. Regards Larry.

some more of starr trucks

starr01 11.png

starr01 09.png

starr01 08.png

starr01 7.png

starr01 (6).png

starr01 (5).png

starr01 (4).png

starr01 (3).png

starr01 (2).png

starr01 (1).png

some more

starr01 16.png

starr01 15.png

starr01 14.png

starr01 13.png

starr01 12.png

starr01 10.png

last 3 pics

starr01 19.png

starr01 18.png

starr01 17.png

HI Marathan 1975 , The blue ERF unit was it one of Stirlands, old motors ,we had two Seddi /atkisons day cabs nearly the same reg, 201 gardeners ,fuller range boxes, did us proud ,yours Barry Waddy

all i know of this truck was it worked out of cable st it was painted blue for the steel works when that ended they painted in star colours mick hawks use to drive it i gad it a couple of time where i learnt to drive it usein the rev and no culch as it was heavy it did have a back to front fuller gearbox in they also had a y reg with a jenning pod on the cab aut???y.

scotty

I like looking at photos like these.
Plain,no-frills,hard working motors that were there to do a job and make money.

Were the little Leylands and Volvo rigids used on distance work?
I’ve driven an FL6 day cab with fold down bunk which was ok but i also had a Roadrunner for a while and can’t imagine sleeping in one of them would be much fun.

Absolutly fantastic, if theres anymore keep them coming :slight_smile:

Was the 88 Fred Hills motor ?

Davnic:
I like looking at photos like these.
Plain,no-frills,hard working motors that were there to do a job and make money.

Were the little Leylands and Volvo rigids used on distance work?
I’ve driven an FL6 day cab with fold down bunk which was ok but i also had a Roadrunner for a while and can’t imagine sleeping in one of them would be much fun.

Hi i done the E reg roadrunner for 3 years been every where cornwall scotland 3 nights week sleepin across the seats loved it then after passin my test for six mouth doin holiday cover i had a FL6 with the fold down bed with was better the roadrunner but only just also had nights out in the FL7 with a erf mattess put in the middle could not get away with that know lol

the F88 Bickley snr

Hi Marathon,
3 nights a week in the Roadrunner must have been nice ‘n’ cosy for you and all your gear :slight_smile:
Why didn’t/wouldn’t they spec sleepers?

I’ve seen Starr wagons down in Cornwall in the past,they used to take coil into J & F Pool (now part of the Perfex Group) in Hayle iirc.

What sort of work were the smaller lorries used on?

Davnic:
Hi Marathon,
3 nights a week in the Roadrunner must have been nice ‘n’ cosy for you and all your gear :slight_smile:

I’ve seen Starr wagons down in Cornwall in the past,they used to take coil into J & F Pool (now part of the Perfex Group) in Hayle iirc.

Hi Davic the resson why we had day cabs you lost 1/2 payload on the on mine i could carry 3900 where as a sleeper cabbed truck would only carry 3400 we use to do a lot lof steel tube and other stuff panic drop that sort of thing. The road runner cab had a big locker under the seat where i use to leep ny sleepin bag home made curtins on curtin wire of 4 hooks 1 in each couner if i was to cold use leave the engine runnin or go in digs. As for coil i never done a load but we use to do the rolls that rolled the sheel thats the only thing i can think of.

marathon1975:

Davnic:
Hi Marathon,

Hi Davic the resson why we had day cabs you lost 1/2 payload on the on mine i could carry 3900 where as a sleeper cabbed truck would only carry 3400 we use to do a lot lof steel tube and other stuff panic drop that sort of thing. The road runner cab had a big locker under the seat where i use to leep ny sleepin bag home made curtins on curtin wire of 4 hooks 1 in each couner if i was to cold use leave the engine runnin or go in digs. As for coil i never done a load but we use to do the rolls that rolled the sheel thats the only thing i can think of.

Wild guess here but did you drive a marathon at one time, overnight in Cheadle South Manchester, late 70’s on ocasions?

Sniffy:

marathon1975:

Davnic:
Hi Marathon,

Wild guess here but did you drive a marathon at one time, overnight in Cheadle South Manchester, late 70’s on ocasions?

|No mate my dad use own two marathons and 1975 was thye yar i was born

Hi the F10 Volvo BMR274V was the yard shunter. I once ran into the side of T2 the long lowloader and snapped the front aluminium bumper. If you look carefully at the photo its been replaced with an old iron girder :confused: Starr bodging at its best.

Was F750 BUE teds motor? I have some Starr pics I will upload when I have a minute

Fantastic pics…
I’m sure that G-reg 6X4 ERF was driven by John King of Leicester, who ran out of the Merry lees depot near Desford !!
He used to park down harrison close wigston, outside Brookes pies…