Standards of Manners / Courtesy going downhill?

Two things that get on my ■■■■ are bad manners and bad table manners. I constantly have to stop myself from going off on one. However my absolute pet hate is when you’re talking to somebody and the phone rings, they then totally ignore you and start dealing with whoever is on the phone. I have even phoned people myself and told them that I’m the person stood in front of them and now I have their attention perhaps that could deal with me like they should have done before the first phone call interrupted us. :unamused:

Pride seems to be a difference between life and death between some people, especially the younger generation. You only have to give the wrong person the wrong look and you end up down A&E getting your jaw rewired… Everyone seems to think in this day and age they are bigger and better than everyone else and won’t be seen to be below it at any cost, anyone that has anything better, nicer or what not than them usually breeds hatred, if someone has got a better car than you, better job, earns more money etc, rather than be happy for that persons achievements and hard work they may have gone through to afford whatever it is they have its much easier to go run a key down the side of the car or destroy/damage whatever it may be out of jealousy. I know a few people that will full on kick off over the most minor, most pathetic thing, a parking dispute, road rage. Think a lot of people need to seriously chill the f… out. :unamused:

dozy:

Javiatrix:
voodoo1,

I’m 25 and I’d like to apologise for any arrogance you experience from the 18-30 age group, BUT… Arrogance is something I grew out of, as little as 2-3 years ago, and I think the worst offenders are boys who went through the education system (and did quite well, like me), then instead of going to uni or into some white collar job, go into manual/semi skilled work. When I first started (not in transport, was in a warehouse), I only respected the people around me because I had to. I couldn’t believe they had the cheek to talk to somebody as intelligent as me the way they did, after all, what had they ever achieved? I had A levels for christ sake, and I was only in a warehouse as a stop gap ( :wink: ), these people never had the drive I had to actually do something with their lives, and they are treating me like a little kid.

NOW BEFORE YOU ALL GO CASTING YOUR OPINIONS OF ME (!!!), I had to try hard to write that down and I cringed at every word, but it’s a true depiction of how I used to think. People are told that education is for succeeders and trades/manual labour are for losers, that is what we were basically instructed in school. You’re taught that getting a girl pregnant at a young age is wrong, but you’re not taught about the love that leads to it, or indeed that it’s not a bad thing when a guy takes any job he can to support a family he wasn’t necessarily expecting. You’re not taught the real world. You know, if somebody like that fell under my wing at work, I wouldn’t talk down to them because I know why they are the way they are and I can help them realise who they are.

What I’ll say is, I have ambitions for the future that lay outside of transport. But I’m so glad that what ever happens, things happened the way they did for me, I’m glad I’ve been spoken to like a piece of [zb] and had to learn what a hard day’s work is, and although I still work for a living (not saying anything about the class 1 trunkers here :wink: ), I’ve learnt to enjoy my job for what it is and to respect every human around me. Class 2, class 1, forkie, TM, planner, whatever. Work’s taught me in four years that everybody has bad days, that just because somebody acts the prick to you once doesn’t mean you should take it at face value as their first impression. I’ll actually go out of my way to engage in conversation and offer the olive branch (without actually stating as such) to somebody who’s had a go at me. They’re probably used to dealing with people who think they’re a [zb] because they were doing their job, so I’ll make the effort to show them I’m human too. It usually works and I can’t think of anybody I have a grudge against, or who has a grudge against me. Discounting a few ex girlfriends :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I would say is, us Brits needs to learn to talk to each other more, we’re all in this life game together and a lot of it is spent working. I for one will forever be polite to somebody, however they may treat me. If somebody truly is a ‘Canute’, if you act the way I do instead of going off like a bomb, it will be THEM who is eventually exposed for what they are, not you.

Didn’t mean to write such a lecture but there we go!

Can’t see what manners and talking too people or not have too do with each other,I’ve got good manners,please ,thankyou etc
But haven’t spoke too
Brother in law 1 for 23 yrs
Sis in law. 1 the same
Brother in law 2 apx 10 yrs
Sis in law 2 apx 10 yrs
Father in law 23 yrs
Neighbours- never from then day we moved in ( 10 yrs ago), accept old lady next door
Sis - 2 yrs etc,etc,etc.
Were all individual,have are ways of dealing with things,mine is just to not to talk to people ,just because that’s my way of dealing with things,it doesn’t mean I’m bad mannered.

With a long list like that does it not make you feel as if you may have an issue with social interaction or getting along with others? Understanding peoples personal opinions, views, beliefs etc? Especially when it comes to family? Not a dig but I am the same in a way. If i sit here and think of the people I know and get along with or friends against people i dont get along with or have had issues with, there is probably more I dont get along with then I do, not because im a bad person or go around upsetting people, I think its because ive always stood on my own two feet, walked my own path and done whatever has made me happy and took those out of my life who were nothing but a negative influence on me, be that friends, female partners or family. I just have no time for idiots, and people with attitude problems, think they are bigger/better than others (see previous post) or others with personal issues that instead of getting to grips with their issues they then instead make everyone else around them lives a misery and hard work. :slight_smile:

I think it’s better summed up as a very greedy selfish world at the moment. Most people only think of themselves. Queues especially. Sad really

voodoo1:
'…Anyone else noticing … arrogance …?

Yes, and how about attributing both it and the politically expectant requirement for us to swallow it upon the democratically un-wanted ultra-liberalism of recent years since UK society has been PC/EU brainwashed and culturally diluted into blithely accepting that ‘diversity is good’ :exclamation:

Such is clearly is not so, given that negative/extreme behavioural traits within ‘diversity’ rattle so many of us.

I’m not suggesting that the UK was ever perfect before - but it got twisted en-route without the consequences being taken seriously to end where we are today, ie nationally rudderless, without much positive identity and (as above) subordinate to bullies in our old age.

Disgraceful :frowning:

i have noticed a lot of ignorance among hgv drivers, to the extent i do not bother flashing fellow drivers in anymore,waste of time as they never acknowledge you

truckman20:
i have noticed a lot of ignorance among hgv drivers, to the extent i do not bother flashing fellow drivers in anymore,waste of time as they never acknowledge you

You must be the one I keep overtaking then :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Happy Keith:

voodoo1:
'…Anyone else noticing … arrogance …?

Yes, and how about attributing both it and the politically expectant requirement for us to swallow it upon the democratically un-wanted ultra-liberalism of recent years since UK society has been PC/EU brainwashed and culturally diluted into blithely accepting that ‘diversity is good’ :exclamation:

Such is clearly is not so, given that negative/extreme behavioural traits within ‘diversity’ rattle so many of us.

I’m not suggesting that the UK was ever perfect before - but it got twisted en-route without the consequences being taken seriously to end where we are today, ie nationally rudderless, without much positive identity and (as above) subordinate to bullies in our old age.

Disgraceful :frowning:

Good old Keith, never one to disappoint when it comes to blaming all and sundry on the EU

My opinion older people especially over 70’s are far more ruder, arrogant less polite than younger people & are more likely to try & jump the que in a shop than younger people.
Yes good & bad in all ages but thats my view.

If it’s an EU thing, why are the Dutch, Germans, Polish, French, Scots etc, so much more polite in their societies than the English? I think it all started in the 80s, the Greed is Good generation, when people were actively encouraged to do whatever they had to do to get richer and richer, and screw everybody else. We’re still reaping the fallout from this, and I can’t see that we’ll ever step back from it now, I just see our society getting more and more selfish.

Yes, there are an awful lot of people about who are polite - when it suits them, and when they are with people they consider their equals, and there are some who are genuinely selfless, but it seem to me that English people react to the way that they are treated by people 'above ’ them, by kicking out at those ‘below’ them - think about the little hitlers on goods-in, who take out their frustration on who they consider the next one down the chain, the lorry driver, so then he gets resentful etc etc.

It’s not something that government really wants to solve, as if we’re not at each other’s throats we might all start looking at them and realising what a SoS they really are - far safer to divide and conquer.

So no, I don’t blame the EU, I blame the Thatcher legacy and the failure of government and society since to do anything to redress the balance. Personally I’d rather live in Holland than the UK these days.

Gary

I think the bad manners is due to the fact that people over the last 25years due to lack of discipline at school and in the home is to blame parents due to the PC brigade can’t hit their children teacher scared stiff to punish the little ■■■■■ so they have grown up with the attitude they can do what they want ,now these are parents and are failing to discipline there children it’s got harder or impossible for teachers to say boo to the children in case they get the sack and so the cycle continues ,they don’t see need for manners or discipline in there lives I can do what I want who is there to stop me ? is what they think and now it’s coming in to there driving and don’t believe in the Highway Code ,it’s a waste of time giving you all instances of incidents that bare this out you all have seen them yourselves I have just retired after 50years on the road and I don’t envy any one doing the job now the job is finished the younger drivers are not a patch on the older guys in attitude yes the vehicles are better but I was happier driving a 1960s. 2stroke Foden staying in digs having a laugh with the guys in the pub a good social life on the road But to get back to manners I try and keep good manners please thank you open doors etc but now if someone is bad mannered to me I give it back always treat people the way you wish to be treated I was taught by my parents but to finish I fear things will only get worse and it’s true it’s not only the young who are rude and obnoxious some of these people who are sixty/70 and should know better are just as bad

voodoo1:
‘YOUR JUST A CLASS 2 DRIVER, YOU MUST BE JELOUS OF MY CLASS 1’ or ‘ONLY DRIVING A 26T’ ?

+1 - You know what they say, bigger the wagon, bigger the ■■■■■ Give me my 4 wheeler all day long.

I can probably be considered ill mannered by some.

If I’m confronted by what I see as injustice (as mentioned earlier with the dear old lady and the oik) I will stand up for those which I feel have been wronged.

I moan and ■■■■■ if when I hold a door open no one thanks me (or even smiles)

I’ve noticed that whilst younger people are in the main poorly educated ill mannered red brick house dwelling ■■■■ wits a good deal of older people (my age and older) are little if any better.

We were in casualty earlier this year and a typical baggy trousered skinny worthless little man was abusing his partner. Threatening her swearing at her etc to the point that Mrs TT was more than a little distressed. I waited until the scummer went out for a smoke, joined him and suggested rather forcefully that he apologise for his behaviour to not only Mrs TT but also to his partner. After a mouthful of abuse and me standing my ground the yobbo grudgingly apologised to Mrs TT but sadly not his good lady.

Now that young un is probably 10 years younger than me at most. WTAF has changed so much in 10 years■■?

scaniason:
‘…If it’s an EU thing, why are the Dutch, Germans, Polish, French *… etc, so much more polite in their societies than the English…?’

Because the EU zones quoted have Highway Law - whereas our mainstream MP puppets dominate, divide and conquer us with the useless Highway Code.

Why not re-name it the Highway Rough Guide - as no-one really bothers with it, eh :exclamation: :smiley:

[*I ommited the Scot’s since they fortunately retain a more cohesive, societal identity of themselves and of which I am admittedly envious. I would dearly love to see it similarly enabled in my EU zone of England: Until then, let’s accept that we’re nationally disenfranchised and that we’re a collective of mongrels anyway - about which we’re subconsciously not overlly at ease, further contributing to the too-often encountered displays of aggressive behaviour][/i]
> scaniason:
> ‘…So … I don’t blame the EU…’
I don’t wholly blame them either, but evidence suggests that pro-EU, UK MP’s have got little to be thanked for as they sail us into an unquestionably grey future.
Meanwhile, the road-using society as discussed foams & snarls at each other’s throats (caravans vs cars vs lorries vs cyclists, etc) all the time not questioning the EU sponsored mantra that ‘diversity is good’ - when it clearly isn’t working to healthily benefit courtesy on the English bits of our workplace
I hope that helps … :neutral_face:

A lack of discipline in the home & school but then teachers are not allowed to as the parents will complain but then some parents expect the teachers to discipline them I try to have manners at all times I have tried to teach both my children manners & have disciplined them

I have even healed doors open for people & hate it when they dont say thanks or even acknowledge the fact or when they try to squeeze past with out saying anything ( this I found mainly in shops by the assistance ) I normally say "excuses me would be a good word " they look blank or head down & continue a number of years ago I held the door open for 1 well know footballer I was working had hands full held door open with foot what did I get nothing he just kept on walking

But some of the worst can be the old as they just think they can do as they wish expect seats etc now I have a young granddaughter she is being breast feed ( best thing in my opinion ) & it is the older generation that disapprove of this by saying something or by the way they look sorry but if she is hungry she will be feed it is natural yep she does do this discreetly by going for a coffee sitting at the back with her back to all or in a position where as few as people are there nope you cant see anything due to how she does it with baggy tops etc the younger generation tend to take no notice

Whilst I can see where some of you are coming from saying it’s the younger generation that have no manners or courtesy I can assure you that’s not the case. Before I started driving I was an assistant manager at a big retail company and the way I got spoken to by some of the older generation was disgusting and I would never think of speaking to someone like that. Nine times out of ten younger people were ok, however there were a few exceptions that should be locked in a container and sent somewhere far away. I’ve been driving trucks for a little over a week now and I’m amazed by the way some people have been with me. How dare I waste some of their busy busy lives because I’m not sure on how to book in to places or get paperwork wrong and heaven forbid I take a bit longer than I should doing a reverse. I must add a lot of people have been really helpful. Every age group has idiots in it unfortunately.

I saw it all, I was a bus driver for 17 year many moons ago :blush:
(and yes the rudest where the drivers)
I have a happier outlook on life and loved winding the “Twirlies” up (pensioners cant use their free pass before 09.30 and keep asking “Am I to early” at 09.20 hence Twirly)
At 09.20 they would hassle you asking, so I would wait until about 7 or 8 of them where at the bus stop and “shout first one gets on free”, it was carnage, shopping trolleys, walking sticks and umbrellas where all being used as weapons to get to the front of the queue :laughing: :laughing:
Of course I was going to let them all on anyway :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tipper Tom:
I can probably be considered ill mannered by some.

Judging by some of your posts, i hadn’t considered ill manners. I actually thought “tourettes” !!! :smiley:

On another note, why do most class 2 drivers all tell you the weight of the vehicle they’re driving, i.e 18 tonner, 24 tonner, 32 tonner. Its never just a lorry, its always the weight? Maybe the OP has an Inferiority complex and doesn’t realise it? How would a driver come to say to another driver…" you’re jealous of my class one", or even know a rigid drivers weight i.e “you’re only in a 26T” ? And even if he did intimate you’re only in a 26T, whats bad mannered or impolite about it?

We’ve had a poll on here about the average age of drivers, i’d really love to see the average IQ !!!

Hang on a minute, getting back to the EU posted above, and the young people and old people and its not what it was in my day…

bodycarelad:

voodoo1:
‘YOUR JUST A CLASS 2 DRIVER, YOU MUST BE JELOUS OF MY CLASS 1’ or ‘ONLY DRIVING A 26T’ ?

+1 - You know what they say, bigger the wagon, bigger the [zb]. Give me my 4 wheeler all day long.

I look down at all drivers, ‘480, pfffftttt, must pull like an asthmatic granny rowing a boat in the Atlantic’. You poor chaps and your underpowered trundlewagons. :wink:

Rob_efc:
‘…some … saying it’s the younger generation that have no manners or courtesy I can assure you that’s not the case. …Nine times out of ten younger people were ok, however there were a few exceptions. …Every age group has idiots in it unfortunately…’

Which evidences the often unidentifiable sensation of being powerless and feeling disenfranchised and/or alienated, etc.

It accompanies having a negative sense of purpose & flimsy, diluted national pride and being immersed in society getting full to the brim with alien, unwanted, undemocratic, covertly & politically motivated, ultra-liberal* ‘diversity’.

It is often too much to bare for too many in society :cry:

It’s then when they rudely kick back, either habitually of as a one-off - eg., against the often unaccountable but myriad irritations encountered in the EU’s UK :imp:

• Ultra-liberalism: Meaning that doing as one ■■■■-well pleases is fine - although the faceless cameras will catch you if you push self-pleasure too far :open_mouth:

Rising above it takes effort: Bosh-on :wink: