Standards of Manners / Courtesy going downhill?

As of late, I’ve noticed such contact with a large variety of both ignorance, rudeness and people with no manners

Anyone else noticing such arrogance etc also, especially with younger drivers ?

Something im hearing quite a lot too, mainly after questioning / confronting such rude manners / arrogance is:

‘YOUR JUST A CLASS 2 DRIVER, YOU MUST BE JELOUS OF MY CLASS 1’ or ‘ONLY DRIVING A 26T’ ?

Is this some sort of get out of jail free meaning you can treat other drivers bad lol ?

On the plus side, gotta say, least the dutch are polite :slight_smile:

It’s not just drivers, mate, it’s life in general.
Just this morning I was sat in the car, waiting for my wife to come out of a shop.(She is 77, and on sticks) As I left the car to help her open the shop door, a youth barged into the shop, almost knocking her over.I remonstrated with the kid, to be told,( yes, you’ve guessed it), to " f*ck off, you old git!"
I’m too old to fight any more so I did as he suggested.
But, equally sad was the fact that everyone in the shop looked the other way.
Sad old world, ain’t it?

I noticed it a long time ago! Ignorance in abundance…manners in short supply…courtesy seems to be a thing of the past!
Its all about attitude and so many peoples stink when it comes to driving.Unfortunately it will probably only get worse…

To put things in balance, there are also some well mannered young people out there. :wink:

Ignorant scrotes are just ignorant scrotes and their make up is not dependant on age, gender, or ethnic background. The area they are brought up in and the people they associate with are often good indicators though.

LIBERTY_GUY:
To put things in balance, there are also some well mannered young people out there. :wink:

Ignorant scrotes are just ignorant scrotes and their make up is not dependant on age, gender, or ethnic background. The area they are brought up in and the people they associate with are often good indicators though.

I can assure you it is not just the young that are ignorant.

I find my London customers the rudest people on the planet. But I agree there is definitely an element, and I’m not tarring everyone with the same brush, of snobbery by class 1 drivers. I do not drive a class 1 vehicle, usually a 12 tonner, sometimes a 26, but I hold exactly the same Class 1, or C+E, or whatever you want to call it, licence as YOU!

I didn’t flash you in because I didn’t want to be 18 inches behind your back doors. And I’m so impressed your Scandinavian artic rolls so fast down hills, you just stay out there in the middle lane for the next 5 miles, while I knock about 5ks off my cruise, while you wait for the next downhill stretch.

Rant over, sorry to all the good guys out there, but I had the return journey from Hell from Glasgow today, and most of the culprits were in Scanias

Whilst agreeing that manners do seem to be in short supply at the momment I find it ironic that two of the posts on here come from the older generation, that would be the same generation that throughout the 60’s and 70’s did everything to undermine those in any position of authority resulting in some of the problems that we have today.

its funny you should mention younger people having no manners as i think it quite the opposite :laughing: the rudest most obnoxious people i come across day to day are old. They use their age as an excuse to get away with murder.

couple of examples:
-holding a door open, not saying thank you
-flashing them out, not saying thank you

• giving your seat up on the train, no thank you

can’t say I’ve heard any comments about what people drive? I’ve went from class 2 driving to driving a van and no one says a thing.

i think manners across all age ranges are getting worse tbh, no one gives a ■■■■ about anyone else but themselves.

mazzer:
Whilst agreeing that manners do seem to be in short supply at the momment I find it ironic that two of the posts on here come from the older generation, that would be the same generation that throughout the 60’s and 70’s did everything to undermine those in any position of authority resulting in some of the problems that we have today.

Dont know how you arrived at your view on this, Was born in 1946 and dont remember anarchy on my steets in the 60s and 70s.

ardennes:

mazzer:

Dont know how you arrived at your view on this, Was born in 1946 and dont remember anarchy on my steets in the 60s and 70s.[/quot
What I mean is that it was during this period that many things were changed in the name of liberalism the respect for teachers and the like being eroded and all this rights for everyone without having to earn any respect first. While you may not be personally responsible for this a lot of your generation were it is interesting to see how my parents views have changed as they have aged from fairly anti authority and establishment to now bemoaning the fact that the streets are unsafe and yes that the young people of today have no manners.

mazzer:

ardennes:

mazzer:

Dont know how you arrived at your view on this, Was born in 1946 and dont remember anarchy on my steets in the 60s and 70s.[/quot
What I mean is that it was during this period that many things were changed in the name of liberalism the respect for teachers and the like being eroded and all this rights for everyone without having to earn any respect first. While you may not be personally responsible for this a lot of your generation were it is interesting to see how my parents views have changed as they have aged from fairly anti authority and establishment to now bemoaning the fact that the streets are unsafe and yes that the young people of today have no manners.

All generations have had different challenges and problems, dont agree but respect your views,regards ardennes.

I’ve never had class 1 snobbery but what winds me up the most is shop assistants talking between themselves and viewing the paying customer as some kind of inconvenience. I embarrass my wife regularly as I’m quite vocal as to how rude I find them. I’ve even gone as far as leaving a whole trolley (once scanned) at the till. Childish I know but makes me feel better.

I love being polite, I am polite as I like to be polite and I also love the reaction of people when I am polite.
Holding doors open, being chatty, generally just smiling and saying please and thank you,
Being a shaved headed scouser with a goaty and being pleasant freaks people out :laughing: :laughing:

m1cks:
I’ve never had class 1 snobbery but what winds me up the most is shop assistants talking between themselves and viewing the paying customer as some kind of inconvenience. I embarrass my wife regularly as I’m quite vocal as to how rude I find them. I’ve even gone as far as leaving a whole trolley (once scanned) at the till. Childish I know but makes me feel better.

:smiley:

I often just put the stuff down walk out if I don’t get served in a reasonable time.

Class 1 snobbery, yes I’ve come across it when I was doing some 7.5t work. Lets face it there are plenty of tw@ts out there. I put it down to them feeling inadequate with small dicks and driving an artic is the only way they can feel better about themselves :laughing:

Class 1 snobbery? Can’t really say i suffer from it as being my depots relief class 1 driver, ive yet to experience being a snob. But no matter what im driving, be it car van class 2 or 1, i try to be as polite as possible. Always signal my intentions, always give a little wave if ive been let out or given the right of way. Not blocking junctions or roundabouts, etc etc. Its the way i was taught to drive when doing my car lessons. But its also the way i was brought up, treat people how you expect to be treated. No matter how bad my day may be going, im still nice to my customers and other road users, even if it does give me the hump when someone doesn’t indicate at a junction or roundabout, or doesn’t say thank you after holding the door open for them. As for what age is the worst for these heinous crimes? I’d say its a broad spectrum, ive come across some very polite elderly folk and some miserable, but to me, the most rudest is todays generation of youngsters.

voodoo1,

I’m 25 and I’d like to apologise for any arrogance you experience from the 18-30 age group, BUT… Arrogance is something I grew out of, as little as 2-3 years ago, and I think the worst offenders are boys who went through the education system (and did quite well, like me), then instead of going to uni or into some white collar job, go into manual/semi skilled work. When I first started (not in transport, was in a warehouse), I only respected the people around me because I had to. I couldn’t believe they had the cheek to talk to somebody as intelligent as me the way they did, after all, what had they ever achieved? I had A levels for christ sake, and I was only in a warehouse as a stop gap ( :wink: ), these people never had the drive I had to actually do something with their lives, and they are treating me like a little kid.

NOW BEFORE YOU ALL GO CASTING YOUR OPINIONS OF ME (!!!), I had to try hard to write that down and I cringed at every word, but it’s a true depiction of how I used to think. People are told that education is for succeeders and trades/manual labour are for losers, that is what we were basically instructed in school. You’re taught that getting a girl pregnant at a young age is wrong, but you’re not taught about the love that leads to it, or indeed that it’s not a bad thing when a guy takes any job he can to support a family he wasn’t necessarily expecting. You’re not taught the real world. You know, if somebody like that fell under my wing at work, I wouldn’t talk down to them because I know why they are the way they are and I can help them realise who they are.

What I’ll say is, I have ambitions for the future that lay outside of transport. But I’m so glad that what ever happens, things happened the way they did for me, I’m glad I’ve been spoken to like a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ and had to learn what a hard day’s work is, and although I still work for a living (not saying anything about the class 1 trunkers here :wink: ), I’ve learnt to enjoy my job for what it is and to respect every human around me. Class 2, class 1, forkie, TM, planner, whatever. Work’s taught me in four years that everybody has bad days, that just because somebody acts the prick to you once doesn’t mean you should take it at face value as their first impression. I’ll actually go out of my way to engage in conversation and offer the olive branch (without actually stating as such) to somebody who’s had a go at me. They’re probably used to dealing with people who think they’re a ■■■■ because they were doing their job, so I’ll make the effort to show them I’m human too. It usually works and I can’t think of anybody I have a grudge against, or who has a grudge against me. Discounting a few ex girlfriends :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I would say is, us Brits needs to learn to talk to each other more, we’re all in this life game together and a lot of it is spent working. I for one will forever be polite to somebody, however they may treat me. If somebody truly is a ‘Canute’, if you act the way I do instead of going off like a bomb, it will be THEM who is eventually exposed for what they are, not you.

Didn’t mean to write such a lecture but there we go!

Javiatrix:
voodoo1,

One thing I would say is, us Brits needs to learn to talk to each other more, we’re all in this life game together and a lot of it is spent working.

Hammer Nail Head.

Have you noticed its mainly the English at each others throats, whilst other nationalities (and include our immediate neighbours who often hate the English and arn’t afraid of the racist slur when they show it, Wales Scotland Northern Ireland and Eire in no paticular order) stick together and look after each other, the bloody English with their stupid class/regional/tribal/social standing/income disputes are always at each others throats or trying to get one over on one another.

If the bloody English looked out for one another, and a good start would be to communicate with each other politely in more than a grunt, we’d be in a far better stead than we are now, even city types might reluctantly learn some manners eventually.

I am a great believer in that many manners and attitudes are passed on by parents , gaurdians and teachers , for example my mother would always insist i walk on the outside of the pavement when ever we walked together. I remember asking her why i had to do this and she told me it was to "keep your sword arm free " I quickly worked out it was also to be between her and traffic , i have since then always walked on the outside when accompanying the fairer ■■■. You cant read this in a book , you cant download it , you cant be texted telling you this , it must be passed down to you by word of mouth and actions.
Bearing this in mind i always give way on a pavement and walk in the road for a female or elderly person and most of the elderly people will say thank you , most of the youngsters dont even bother to lift there heads up from their phones to say thank you and to quote the immortal cartoon dog Droopy " you know what…that makes me mad " :open_mouth:

Rant over…sound a bit like Grumpy Old Men

tamarman:
I am a great believer in that many manners and attitudes are passed on by parents , gaurdians and teachers , for example my mother would always insist i walk on the outside of the pavement when ever we walked together. I remember asking her why i had to do this and she told me it was to "keep your sword arm free " I quickly worked out it was also to be between her and traffic , i have since then always walked on the outside when accompanying the fairer ■■■. You cant read this in a book , you cant download it , you cant be texted telling you this , it must be passed down to you by word of mouth and actions.

I do this instinctively, my Mum couldn’t have told me as my Dad brought me up in the 70’s :laughing:
But yer, funny you said that as its exactly what I do, haven’t a clue where I got it from though and it certainly was not looking after my little brother as I gave him a hell of a life. :laughing: :laughing:

Javiatrix:
voodoo1,

I’m 25 and I’d like to apologise for any arrogance you experience from the 18-30 age group, BUT… Arrogance is something I grew out of, as little as 2-3 years ago, and I think the worst offenders are boys who went through the education system (and did quite well, like me), then instead of going to uni or into some white collar job, go into manual/semi skilled work. When I first started (not in transport, was in a warehouse), I only respected the people around me because I had to. I couldn’t believe they had the cheek to talk to somebody as intelligent as me the way they did, after all, what had they ever achieved? I had A levels for christ sake, and I was only in a warehouse as a stop gap ( :wink: ), these people never had the drive I had to actually do something with their lives, and they are treating me like a little kid.

NOW BEFORE YOU ALL GO CASTING YOUR OPINIONS OF ME (!!!), I had to try hard to write that down and I cringed at every word, but it’s a true depiction of how I used to think. People are told that education is for succeeders and trades/manual labour are for losers, that is what we were basically instructed in school. You’re taught that getting a girl pregnant at a young age is wrong, but you’re not taught about the love that leads to it, or indeed that it’s not a bad thing when a guy takes any job he can to support a family he wasn’t necessarily expecting. You’re not taught the real world. You know, if somebody like that fell under my wing at work, I wouldn’t talk down to them because I know why they are the way they are and I can help them realise who they are.

What I’ll say is, I have ambitions for the future that lay outside of transport. But I’m so glad that what ever happens, things happened the way they did for me, I’m glad I’ve been spoken to like a piece of [zb] and had to learn what a hard day’s work is, and although I still work for a living (not saying anything about the class 1 trunkers here :wink: ), I’ve learnt to enjoy my job for what it is and to respect every human around me. Class 2, class 1, forkie, TM, planner, whatever. Work’s taught me in four years that everybody has bad days, that just because somebody acts the prick to you once doesn’t mean you should take it at face value as their first impression. I’ll actually go out of my way to engage in conversation and offer the olive branch (without actually stating as such) to somebody who’s had a go at me. They’re probably used to dealing with people who think they’re a [zb] because they were doing their job, so I’ll make the effort to show them I’m human too. It usually works and I can’t think of anybody I have a grudge against, or who has a grudge against me. Discounting a few ex girlfriends :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I would say is, us Brits needs to learn to talk to each other more, we’re all in this life game together and a lot of it is spent working. I for one will forever be polite to somebody, however they may treat me. If somebody truly is a ‘Canute’, if you act the way I do instead of going off like a bomb, it will be THEM who is eventually exposed for what they are, not you.

Didn’t mean to write such a lecture but there we go!

Can’t see what manners and talking too people or not have too do with each other,I’ve got good manners,please ,thankyou etc
But haven’t spoke too
Brother in law 1 for 23 yrs
Sis in law. 1 the same
Brother in law 2 apx 10 yrs
Sis in law 2 apx 10 yrs
Father in law 23 yrs
Neighbours- never from then day we moved in ( 10 yrs ago), accept old lady next door
Sis - 2 yrs etc,etc,etc.
Were all individual,have are ways of dealing with things,mine is just to not to talk to people ,just because that’s my way of dealing with things,it doesn’t mean I’m bad mannered.