Standard of CVs

Mick Bracewell:
Most drivers are [zb] and think that driving like Colin McRae on a rally stage along rough surface single track roads is perfectly fine :unamused: .

Blimey now you tell me too bleedin late now.Maybe I should have left airport crash tender test driving off my CV. :open_mouth: :laughing:
youtube.com/watch?v=MDUxLjOJrIE

Mazzer2:

Monkey241:

SOAD:

Mick Bracewell:

SOAD:
Does the company you work for state they are and equal opportunities employer?

No. It is not a company for leftie sensitive ā€œentitledā€ snowflakes. If you want equal opportunities go to Stobart and DHL where theyā€™re too frightened of bad press over such silliness and so will hire anyone with a pulse regardless of their abilities (or lack thereof) and will nanny them accordingly.

You have me very wrong if you think Iā€™m leftie or sensitive, I can think of a few words to describe you though.
I bet your one of these idiots that revel in their own make believe self importance.
You stand in front of me or some of the lads I severed with and tell me I couldnā€™t havent have a job simply because we decided to serve and fight for people like you when actually you have no idea about my work ethic, standards or ability and would simply discard the CV for saying I servedā€¦
Or is that why you just discard them, because you wouldnā€™t have the balls to call them and say they wonā€™t be considered for that reason.
opportunity
I donā€™t think Ed forces should have any special treatment compared to anyone else or be employed over anyone else for any other reason than their merit. Equal oppetunity thoughā€¦

Mick is just largeing it.

Iā€™d be inclined to say heā€™s firing for effect, probably because some hat threw one up his missus whilst he was at the bar

Weā€™re not known for being choosy with the ladies. But judging by his missus, neither is Mick.

Incidentally Mick I met mine on my first Iraq tour. The concerning part is that she clearly has more balls than you [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Since when did MPā€™s call people ā€˜hatsā€™? just curious like :slight_smile:

Are we not hats?

Monkey241:

Mazzer2:

Are we not hats?

Lol yes you are, but didnā€™t realised you referred to yourselves as hats given that it is hardly a term of endearment, still learn something everyday :slight_smile:

Monkey241:
I met mine on my first Iraq tour. The concerning part is that she clearly has more balls than you [emoji6]

I hope she wasnā€™t a localā€¦ I know the standards werenā€™t the highest a bloke would chose for his old woman but I draw the line.

Mick maybe firing for effect and heā€™s succeeded in getting a bite out of me, I donā€™t think itā€™s because he wants the rise. I think itā€™s genuine arrogance.
I just wanted him off his pedestal and unfortunately we canā€™t do it physically.
Still, I would like to know the company though, I wonder if his employers are aware of his selection methods.

I wonder what Mick ever did for his community or country, or is he simply a jumped-up, self serving troll?

Mazzer2:

Monkey241:

Mazzer2:

Are we not hats?

Lol yes you are, but didnā€™t realised you referred to yourselves as hats given that it is hardly a term of endearment, still learn something everyday :slight_smile:

I also call myself a monkey.

Was that a term of endearment?

SOAD:

Monkey241:
I met mine on my first Iraq tour. The concerning part is that she clearly has more balls than you [emoji6]

I hope she wasnā€™t a localā€¦ I know the standards werenā€™t the highest a bloke would chose for his old woman but I draw the line.

Mick maybe firing for effect and heā€™s succeeded in getting a bite out of me, I donā€™t think itā€™s because he wants the rise. I think itā€™s genuine arrogance.
I just wanted him off his pedestal and unfortunately we canā€™t do it physically.
Still, I would like to know the company though, I wonder if his employers are aware of his selection methods.

Not a local, no.
A fellow monkey.

Mick is well and truly off his pedestal. He wonā€™t identify the company since even he will realise heā€™s open to investigation on this one

Mick Bracewell:

Rjan:

Mick Bracewell:

Monkeyboy:
Iā€™m also intrigued with such inspirational attitudes what his staff turnover is like.

Zero. No driver has left since the company bought its first tanker. We only recruit for expansion and all new recruits are on probation where they are trained how to do the job and their driving assessed for a minimum of 2 weeks. All ex-military and EE applications go straight in the bin. Not worth the time as 99% of them canā€™t drive for [zb] nor use their brain. DHL and Stobart are welcome to them and the carnage they cause.

How many have you sacked then?

Iā€™m struggling to reconcile how nobody can ever have left your firm, yet you have had all this poor experience with EE and ex-forces.

Thatā€™s what the trial period is there for. If their driving is [zb] and they refuse to correct it after being shown/instructed umpteen times how to do it properly then they are sent on their way. Very few make it beyond the trial but those that have are all still here. Most drivers are [zb] and think that driving like Colin McRae on a rally stage along rough surface single track roads is perfectly fine :unamused: .

Thanks for the clarification. Clearly then there is a large amount of turnover at your firm, as some had anticipated, it just takes place predominantly in the ā€œtrial periodā€.

I must say for myself that Iā€™m not convinced that your firm is as good a place to work, as you try to suggest with the claim that ā€œno driver has leftā€.

What you seem to describe is that you run quickly through many recruits in high-charged battles over driving standards, which then culminate in hair-trigger dismissals. Itā€™s highly likely that you mask the presence of many who would have jumped for themselves in due course, by pushing them first.

Your driving standards may be perfectly appropriate to the kind of work your firm does, but the presence of so many recruits which donā€™t meet those standards may well suggest that:

(a) the market offer is just not good enough to attract the more careful, responsible drivers, who all have better alternatives, resulting in you having to trawl through the residue of the employment market; or

(b) your firmā€™s reputation precedes it amongst the pool of decent drivers, resulting in you having to trawl through the residue of the employment market; or even

(c) you do get decent drivers inside the tent but then immediately upset or off-put most of them. They then withdraw discretionary effort (what often comes across as a ā€œlack of initiativeā€) or their standard of driving falls spontaneously due to their mood (as it often does with drivers who are preoccupied with their circumstances of employment), which ultimately culminates in you dismissing them for those reasons.

Certainly the last case is the most fiendish to grasp, since they do in fact manifest as poor drivers and employees, but only because of the manner in which they are being treated for the time being.

Monkey241:

Mazzer2:

Monkey241:

Mazzer2:

Are we not hats?

Depends if Iā€™d have used it then no :smiley:

Mazzer2:

Monkey241:

Mazzer2:

Monkey241:

Mazzer2:

Are we not hats?

I think we can safely say youā€™re hardly an exception to the ruleā€¦it never was a term of endearment [emoji6]

Mazzer2:

Monkey241:

Mazzer2:

Monkey241:

Mazzer2:

Are we not hats?

I think we can safely say youā€™re hardly an exception to the ruleā€¦it never was a term of endearment [emoji6]

The original post had a few spelling mistakes. I have certainly known people who are dyslexic who can drive perfectly well, but it might be a limiting factor considering paperwork to be completed. A few spelling mistakes unlikely to be an issue for a driver you would think though.

Rjan:
I must say for myself that Iā€™m not convinced that your firm is as good a place to work, as you try to suggest with the claim that ā€œno driver has leftā€.

What you seem to describe is that you run quickly through many recruits in high-charged battles over driving standards, which then culminate in hair-trigger dismissals. Itā€™s highly likely that you mask the presence of many who would have jumped for themselves in due course, by pushing them first.

Your driving standards may be perfectly appropriate to the kind of work your firm does, but the presence of so many recruits which donā€™t meet those standards may well suggest that:

(a) the market offer is just not good enough to attract the more careful, responsible drivers, who all have better alternatives, resulting in you having to trawl through the residue of the employment market; or

(b) your firmā€™s reputation precedes it amongst the pool of decent drivers, resulting in you having to trawl through the residue of the employment market; or even

(c) you do get decent drivers inside the tent but then immediately upset or off-put most of them. They then withdraw discretionary effort (what often comes across as a ā€œlack of initiativeā€) or their standard of driving falls spontaneously due to their mood (as it often does with drivers who are preoccupied with their circumstances of employment), which ultimately culminates in you dismissing them for those reasons.

Certainly the last case is the most fiendish to grasp, since they do in fact manifest as poor drivers and employees, but only because of the manner in which they are being treated for the time being.

To be fair the implied terms of give em a chance to see if they meet the grade is fine and which would be the standard recruitment method in an ideal world.
But which is then totally contradicted by the reference to ā€˜25 years experienceā€™ also being a requirement.
Ex forces will also be shown the door at first sight of their job history even if theyā€™ve done a full tour of RCT/RCL service as a driver by trade. :open_mouth:
Those different criterea donā€™t add up they are an oxymoron.
The truth is when ever anyone mentions the E word by definition there is an arbitrary, discriminatory, face fits pecking order agenda behind it.Thatā€™s all about reserving the best quality work for a chosen elite that thinks it has a god given right to hog it all.
Or in this case maybe trying to apply that dead mans shoes job recruitment policy to a zb job depending on the length of that delivery list required in a shift. :wink:

Carryfast:
But which is then totally contradicted by the reference to ā€˜25 years experienceā€™ also being a requirement.

Blimey. I thought I was fairly experienced at this stage but even Iā€™m a year short of 25 years experience.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Blimey. I thought I was fairly experienced at this stage but even Iā€™m a year short of 25 years experience.

You might be ok because none of those 24 years were spent in the army.He also knows that you apply a strictly no questions asked or answered and no CV policy to your career options.You expect the employer to apply to you for the privilege of employing you.Obviously with no silly questions regarding the E word. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Noremac:
The original post had a few spelling mistakesā€¦

Where?

Star down under.:
I wonder what Mick ever did for his community or country, or is he simply a jumped-up, self serving troll?

I think he does serve his country, but he cant talk about it. He dropped a hint earlier

ā€¦ snipā€¦
Thatā€™s what the trial period is there for. If their driving is [zb] and they refuse to correct it after being shown/instructed umpteen times how to do it properly then they are sent on their way. Very few make it beyond the trial but those that have are all still here.

good_friend:

Noremac:
The original post had a few spelling mistakesā€¦

Where?

Grammer ?
And ā€œnobā€ can be spelt with a ā€œkā€, but that isnt compulsory. (And a capital "K" for Mr/Ms Knob) :smiley: And it notable that you made it clear you werent after perfect spelling, just someone who took a couple of minutes to actually read through and ā€œdelete what is inapplicableā€ or whatever. If someone is careless with a job CV will they careful at a walk-around check, writing a CMR, or another work document?
Those with reading difficulties may have extra issues, but they do get around them well in most cases.

Ed to add:
I thought a R4 reporter would do better. Or am I mistaken?

good_friend:
Hi Folks

This is going to sound mad but, for those of you looking for work, please read your CVs before you send them out to the company you are applying to

So far this week I have had ones that consisted of -

Please give me a job, iā€™m wonderful, and that was about itā€¦

Iā€™m ex army, based near Hereford but not allowed to talk about it

Iā€™m independant, articulate and could do your job better than you do <ā€” That may be true but can you drive a lorry??

She/he has worked hard/maintains great work relationships (please delete where necessary) <ā€”From a guy

Is it so hard to read them yourselves or get someone you know to check it over? Iā€™ve removed the spelling mistakes from the quotes because Iā€™m not asking for Shakepeare to drive my lorry (he couldnā€™t spell either, including his own name) but basic grammer, not being a nob and some explanation of what you have done would be a distinct improvement

Sorry for the whinge. I shall keep on readingā€¦

You can add independant to the list above. Along with Shakepeare. Perhaps you should take your own advice?

The comical thing is you asking ā€˜where?ā€™

Most of the errors had already been pointed outā€¦

Monkey241:

good_friend:
Hi Folks

This is going to sound mad but, for those of you looking for work, please read your CVs before you send them out to the company you are applying to

So far this week I have had ones that consisted of -

Please give me a job, iā€™m wonderful, and that was about itā€¦

Iā€™m ex army, based near Hereford but not allowed to talk about it

Iā€™m independant, articulate and could do your job better than you do <ā€” That may be true but can you drive a lorry??

She/he has worked hard/maintains great work relationships (please delete where necessary) <ā€”From a guy

Is it so hard to read them yourselves or get someone you know to check it over? Iā€™ve removed the spelling mistakes from the quotes because Iā€™m not asking for Shakepeare to drive my lorry (he couldnā€™t spell either, including his own name) but basic grammer, not being a nob and some explanation of what you have done would be a distinct improvement

Sorry for the whinge. I shall keep on readingā€¦

You can add independant to the list above. Along with Shakepeare. Perhaps you should take your own advice?

The comical thing is you asking ā€˜where?ā€™

Most of the errors had already been pointed outā€¦

What is refreshing is a question is being asked: where are the errors?
Not a shouty defence of the post, or (far too often) an automatic defence of the size of the posterā€™s gonads.