Standard of CVs

switchlogic:

good_friend:
Luke, you might not need a CV (especially as you have survived trips to Iceland’s RDC) but I still expect people who aren’t as legendary as yourself to prove to me that they can actually drive!!

Well, just as well since if you wanted me to prove that I’d be a bit f**ked :wink:

I’ll also call out gf to provide a decent yard and a slalom course and a proper A frame drawbar outfit which I’ll reverse it through for him.Bonus points if he can find something with a proper gearbox in it and I don’t mean any synchro zb.
Then I’ll tell him my ‘experience’ mostly consists of 5 years as a council driver and around 15 years night trunking.I haven’t driven a truck since 1999.My licence lapsed a few years later.I’ve got no digi card and never even seen a digi tacho no DCPC and good luck with finding my former managers for a reference.Do I still get the job. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Monkey241:
One wonders how with such short termist attitudes Mick got his driving experience.

Started at the bottom like most new drivers, worked my way up and proved myself, primarily by not clobbering road furniture :unamused: and not trying to get under bridges smaller than my truck :unamused: .

Monkeyboy:
I’m also intrigued with such inspirational attitudes what his staff turnover is like.

Zero. No driver has left since the company bought its first tanker. We only recruit for expansion and all new recruits are on probation where they are trained how to do the job and their driving assessed for a minimum of 2 weeks. All ex-military and EE applications go straight in the bin. Not worth the time as 99% of them can’t drive for ■■■■ nor use their brain. DHL and Stobart are welcome to them and the carnage they cause.

Mick Bracewell:
Started at the bottom like most new drivers, worked my way up and proved myself,

Proved yourself as a class 1 bell end, Not only actively discriminating but also racist. Please enlighten us with the company you work for?

I recon your other half got rattled by a squaddie or a EE while you were on the road.

Mick Bracewell:

Monkey241:
One wonders how with such short termist attitudes Mick got his driving experience.

Started at the bottom like most new drivers, worked my way up and proved myself, primarily by not clobbering road furniture :unamused: and not trying to get under bridges smaller than my truck :unamused: .

Monkeyboy:
I’m also intrigued with such inspirational attitudes what his staff turnover is like.

Zero. No driver has left since the company bought its first tanker. We only recruit for expansion and all new recruits are on probation where they are trained how to do the job and their driving assessed for a minimum of 2 weeks. All ex-military and EE applications go straight in the bin. Not worth the time as 99% of them can’t drive for [zb] nor use their brain. DHL and Stobart are welcome to them and the carnage they cause.

Stobart?

Never done a day’s work for them in my life…

The rest? Cheap dig from a man desperate to divert from the fact he’s revealed himself to be a bit of a chod.
A couple of early mistakes - with no financial impact to anyone. Odd you should mention probation etc…the day I grazed the traffic sign I had another driver tutoring me…

Doesn’t help that company policy had banned artics from that collection…yet the TM had decided he knew better.
Seems there’s a pattern…

Just a simple minded old bigot. Had you exhibited the same patterns of thought to blacks or Asians, you’d be guilty of race discrimination, and on the basis of comments on here, quite probably criminal offences.

Quite likely a liar too as regards staff turnover. Or maybe just disingenuous-perhaps you bought your first tanker 3 months ago?

And certainly - on the basis of evidence presented - not very bright.

To be clear… you could save a lot of time simply making your company policy clear. I certainly have no desire to work for such a bigoted employer.
You’re entitled to an opinion on ex military-as poorly informed as it is.
Given your points on here it clearly isn’t just the bigger firms engaged in a race to the bottom on Ts & Cs.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

If any of M.B.'s claims are to be believed, your Military must be totally different to ours. M.B. has demonstrated a total ignorance of the Armed Services. Every serving and served member has taken an oath to protect you, your family and way of life and is prepared to pay the ultimate price, to that end. A bit of respect is in order.
More than half of the serving members are in musters other than front line. An organisation of those proportions require massive support, such as admin, transport, maintenance, welfare, et al. The military can survive without civvy street, but civvy street won’t last long without the Military.
As an employer, I have found ex-service trained drivers to be the best trained drivers of any. They also have more relivant ancillary skills than their civilian counterparts. If I had to pinpoint a drawback in Military trained personnel, it would be their lack of a sense of urgency, but that applies to any government employee.
My experience has taught me that the best drivers, regardless of where they gained their training and experience, are those who are passionate about the industry and lifestyle.
The bloke who never made a mistake, never made a mile.
Às for the poor grammar and spelling in CVs, have you seen how university graduates punctuate and spell, these days?

Star down under.:
My experience has taught me that the best drivers, regardless of where they gained their training and experience, are those who are passionate about the industry and lifestyle.

Yes a hundredfold.

I’d qualify that with, you never stop learning in this game if you have any interest in it, doesn’t matter how long you do the job you’ll be constantly improving how you do it, those who care and take an interest stand out a mile from those who treat the job as just another means to a wage packet.

Star down under.:

To be fair someone who joined up to be a soldier/officer not a driver from the start probably by definition won’t be as passionate about the job as a forces driver by trade.

Ironically the only reason why I didn’t sign up for the forces, naively with the intention of being fastracked into the RCT, was because of my late Dad’s advice that in the real world army deployment policy is a lottery.He was conscripted into the REME during WW2 but spent as much time doing the job of an RASC type driver as his trade of an engineer.That and the fact that he wanted me to follow him into engineering which I found suicidally boring being shut up in a factory all day.

Even more ironically my Father had gone against his Father’s/my Grandfather’s trade of driver from horse drawn to steam wagons. :open_mouth: :wink:

On that basis like pilots I think drivers are born to the job.The problem is ignorant management types judging everyone and every trade by their own standards. :bulb:

Mick Bracewell:

Monkey241:

Monkeyboy:

Zero. No driver has left since the company bought its first tanker. We only recruit for expansion and all new recruits are on probation where they are trained how to do the job and their driving assessed for a minimum of 2 weeks. All ex-military and EE applications go straight in the bin. Not worth the time as 99% of them can’t drive for [zb] nor use their brain. DHL and Stobart are welcome to them and the carnage they cause.

How many have you sacked then?

I’m struggling to reconcile how nobody can ever have left your firm, yet you have had all this poor experience with EE and ex-forces.

Carryfast:
On that basis like pilots I think drivers are born to the job.

Yeah, because truck drivers are such a special breed… :laughing:
I knew a TM once who said something similar, he reckoned that 90% of the problem with haulage was, and I’m quoting him talking to me " The problem is people like you, you haven’t got lorry driving in your blood, you’ve done other jobs before" :laughing:

Hmmmm… I had to laugh when I found out that he’d upset some other person to the extent that they firebombed all his trucks. Born-trucker or not, I think he needed to work on his people-skills a bit.

Zac_A:

Carryfast:
On that basis like pilots I think drivers are born to the job.

Yeah, because truck drivers are such a special breed… :laughing:
I knew a TM once who said something similar, he reckoned that 90% of the problem with haulage was, and I’m quoting him talking to me " The problem is people like you, you haven’t got lorry driving in your blood, you’ve done other jobs before" :laughing:

Hmmmm… I had to laugh when I found out that he’d upset some other person to the extent that they firebombed all his trucks. Born-trucker or not, I think he needed to work on his people-skills a bit.

I think my references to my own Father/Grandfather show that there’s loads of shades of grey in that.
My Dad didn’t want to follow my Grandfather into driving.
He preferred engineering and was time served by the time he was called up and sent into the REME.
The army decided that in large part my Dad was going to be a driver not just an engineer/mechanic.It’s written in his army papers which I’ve still got and memories of his accounts of his driving duties therein.
He went back to engineering after the war and wanted me to follow him into engineering.
I obviously wanted to follow my Grandfather into Driving. :laughing:

Ironically the conclusion is that my Dad was a born engineer.
He was also a bleedin good driver who actually taught me how to drive.In large part taught to be so by the army.

Don’t remember him ever having to fill out a CV or even knew what a CV was. :wink:

Rjan:

Mick Bracewell:

Monkey241:

Monkeyboy:

How many have you sacked then?

I’m struggling to reconcile how nobody can ever have left your firm, yet you have had all this poor experience with EE and ex-forces.

That’s what the trial period is there for. If their driving is ■■■■ and they refuse to correct it after being shown/instructed umpteen times how to do it properly then they are sent on their way. Very few make it beyond the trial but those that have are all still here. Most drivers are [zb] and think that driving like Colin McRae on a rally stage along rough surface single track roads is perfectly fine :unamused: .

Does the company you work for state they are and equal opportunities employer?

It’s not a vocation it’s not a trade it’s not in your blood, it’s a job and the simple fact is people who do it properly make it easier for themselves, there is no skill required only experience of driving a truck cab, the skill comes to the forefront when it involves what type of trailer you’re pulling and what’s on the trailer, could a trolley dolly deliver in a cement truck without experience, could a cement truck driver deliver bricks with a hi ab
We are all drivers with different skills and experience and anyone can drive a truck and we all specialize in our own areas

SOAD:

No. It is not a company for leftie sensitive “entitled” snowflakes. If you want equal opportunities go to Stobart and DHL where they’re too frightened of bad press over such silliness and so will hire anyone with a pulse regardless of their abilities (or lack thereof) and will nanny them accordingly.

Mick Bracewell:

SOAD:

No. It is not a company for leftie sensitive “entitled” snowflakes. If you want equal opportunities go to Stobart and DHL where they’re too frightened of bad press over such silliness and so will hire anyone with a pulse regardless of their abilities (or lack thereof) and will nanny them accordingly.

Digging yourself a bit of a pit here, Mick.

I suggest you put the bottle down and only post when sober.

Some of us have a life experience far broader and an education far greater: the end result is you start to appear increasingly ‘vulnerable’.

Mick Bracewell:

SOAD:

You have me very wrong if you think I’m leftie or sensitive, I can think of a few words to describe you though.
I bet your one of these idiots that revel in their own make believe self importance.
You stand in front of me or some of the lads I severed with and tell me I couldn’t have a job simply because we decided to serve and fight for people like you when actually you have no idea about my work ethic, standards or ability and would simply discard the CV for saying I served…
Or is that why you just discard them, because you wouldn’t have the balls to call them and say they won’t be considered for that reason.
I don’t think Ed forces should have any special treatment compared to anyone else or be employed over anyone else for any other reason than their merit. Equal oppetunity though…

SOAD:

Mick Bracewell:

SOAD:

You have me very wrong if you think I’m leftie or sensitive, I can think of a few words to describe you though.
I bet your one of these idiots that revel in their own make believe self importance.
You stand in front of me or some of the lads I severed with and tell me I couldn’t havent have a job simply because we decided to serve and fight for people like you when actually you have no idea about my work ethic, standards or ability and would simply discard the CV for saying I served…
Or is that why you just discard them, because you wouldn’t have the balls to call them and say they won’t be considered for that reason.
opportunity
I don’t think Ed forces should have any special treatment compared to anyone else or be employed over anyone else for any other reason than their merit. Equal oppetunity though…

Mick is just largeing it.

I’d be inclined to say he’s firing for effect, probably because some hat threw one up his missus whilst he was at the bar

We’re not known for being choosy with the ladies. But judging by his missus, neither is Mick.

Incidentally Mick I met mine on my first Iraq tour. The concerning part is that she clearly has more balls than you [emoji6]

Bigtruck3:
It’s not a vocation it’s not a trade it’s not in your blood, it’s a job and the simple fact is people who do it properly make it easier for themselves, there is no skill required only experience of driving a truck cab, the skill comes to the forefront when it involves what type of trailer you’re pulling and what’s on the trailer, could a trolley dolly deliver in a cement truck without experience, could a cement truck driver deliver bricks with a hi ab
We are all drivers with different skills and experience and anyone can drive a truck and we all specialize in our own areas

How did the cement/hiab/fridge/flat truck driver get their experience without first driving a cement/hiab/fridge truck without any experience.
How did I go from a Transit panel van to a 7.5t drop side flat, or bulk refuse to tipper and flat and tanker body all on the same multi lift truck, scaffold trucks to curtain siders and hiab on agency, or from rigids to artics, or from box trailers to a tilt, from artics to demount drawbars, without getting through my first day on all the different types.

Monkey241:

SOAD:

Mick Bracewell:

SOAD:

You stand in front of me or some of the lads I severed with and tell me I couldn’t havent have a job simply because we decided to serve and fight for people like you when actually you have no idea about my work ethic, standards or ability and would simply discard the CV for saying I served…
opportunity

Mick is just largeing it.

I’d be inclined to say he’s firing for effect, probably because some hat threw one up his missus whilst he was at the bar

We’re not known for being choosy with the ladies. But judging by his missus, neither is Mick.

Incidentally Mick I met mine on my first Iraq tour. The concerning part is that she clearly has more balls than you [emoji6]

Since when did MP’s call people ‘hats’? just curious like :slight_smile: