Stainless steel mirror guards

Trucker56:
Surprised at these comments you obviously all drive on 60 ft wide motorways, I have to go to some farms down narrow lanes for collections and it stops the trees and bushes from requiring you to fit new mirrors after every trip. Doesnt reduce vision any more then the mirrors do.

Most of my deliveries are to private addresses down country lanes,or (cue the dramatic music)the most innax/inacses/ . . awkward house in the cul de sac.

ckm1981:

Trucker56:
Surprised at these comments you obviously all drive on 60 ft wide motorways, I have to go to some farms down narrow lanes for collections and it stops the trees and bushes from requiring you to fit new mirrors after every trip. Doesnt reduce vision any more then the mirrors do.

Bullcrap,if your hitting a stationary object (tree,bush,whatever) with enough force to smash your wing mirror then that my friend is driver error plain and simple.

I think you are forgetting the sheer amount of damage caused by trees and other vegetation to the nearside of lorries, trailers and buses.I doubt whether many can reliably pin down to the last 5 yards exactly where a a branch protrudes from a hedge by just enough to clip a mirror on a road last used a week ago. It won’t be long either before so many of those collections need to be done in darkness and pouring rain.

Oh, I am forgetting that all is revealed for those with 500 billion candlepower of bling-lights to dazzle the poor so and so coming the other way. :slight_smile:

ckm1981:

Trucker56:

Bullcrap,if your hitting a stationary object (tree,bush,whatever) with enough force to smash your wing mirror then that my friend is driver error plain and simple.

Not bullcrap at all a decent mirror gaurd will take the shock from branches that would normally do the damage to the plastic back or in some cases cause the glass to smash or jump out .

PaulNowak:
Had them on 2 previous trucks. Whistled like bastrads

I’ve made a lot of mirror guards the key thing to stop whistling is that the outer edge needs to be parallel to the cab side as its this edge that normally causes the noise .3 mm aly plate works well ,run through the rollers until it suits the mirror back shape then after fixing on to the arm sit in driving position and draw on the blind spots and cut the shape out .

Punchy Dan:

ckm1981:

Trucker56:

Not bullcrap at all a decent mirror gaurd will take the shock from branches that would normally do the damage to the plastic back or in some cases cause the glass to smash or jump out .

So why are they not standard fitment?(apart from the money making aspect of fitting new mirror glass)
You cant beat a nicely trimmed bush imo.

I took them off our 6w and put them on the scrap pile. Still do mainly rural deliveries and I haven’t smashed a mirror. They look awful and being blingy I had to bin them :smiling_imp: Boss didn’t care as a previous driver fitted them, who still managed to break a mirror even with them fitted.

■■■■■■■:

AlltypeArocs:

Come back! - this is but a gentle beasting…all completely normal. :grimacing:

Bless him.

What was his o/post and why has he removed it? :neutral_face:

He wanted to know where he could get some stainless steel mirror guards but the TruckNet bullies took his dinner money off him instead.

Contraflow:
He wanted to know where he could get some stainless steel mirror guards but the TruckNet bullies took his dinner money off him instead.

What did you buy with the money? [emoji6]

Trucker56:

What a load of crap.

I’d say these guards look OK when new, but look like crap once they have a few dings and dents in them…

All the tipper drivers in my area have these guards, & I’m starting to think they use this advantage to play chicken with me and my unprotected plastic covers! :laughing:

All our trucks have colour coded mirror backs that match the company colours, and it’s fair to say that most of them have now been replaced with the standard grey ones, due to them being broken or lost. However, we do have a brand new truck that an old boy drives, & he still has both of his colour coded mirror backs. But he goes on holiday for 2 weeks now, and was talking to the TM last week about getting a couple of standard grey ones to put on his truck while he’s away, and someone else drives his truck. I kid you not!

I don’t really blame him though, as he takes pride in his truck and keeps it clean by washing it almost daily. He washed it the other morning while waiting for a tyre to be changed & when the fitter put a second hand tyre back on the truck, he went and washed that before he went out on his run! It did amuse me though, as it’s all ammunition for a bit of banter, & he’s good for a laugh the sarky old git! :smiley:

He was also asking the TM who specifically would be driving his truck while he was on holiday, and the TM obviously hadn’t decided or planned that far ahead, so asked the old boy who he wanted to drive his truck. And to my surprise and shock, he suggest me! :open_mouth: And I’m an unwashed scum of the earth limper!!! :laughing:

But I’m not sure I even want to drive his truck for 2 weeks, as I don’t want to have the stress or risk of abuse if by some chance I mark or scratch his baby. As I’ll never hear the end of it! :laughing: The truck itself doesn’t bother me, as it’s the same as mine just 3 years newer, and while I try to wash mine once a week, I’m nowhere near his standards and believe that if the company provided tyre black, he’s be out there in the morning using it! :laughing:

We have them fitted to most of our roll on offs as you only have to touch tge volvo fm wide angle mirror on a branch or a bit of fence to snap it off and it means a new mirror at a good few £££.
As a few others have said not all of us drive up and down motorways in to big depots all day.

Agree with you EB, I wasn’t keen on having tarts trucks when mine was off the road and they were off. Had to keep finding places to stuff the screwed up “keep clean” notes left behind by the drivers, and ways to stop the polish tins from rattling.
Tipper firm where I used to work now put official notices in the cabs telling drivers to keep cabs clean. Bit pointless but there you go.

happysack:
What did you buy with the money? [emoji6]

Probably a load of Allride accessories

ckm1981:
I know a company that had them,that was until one of their vehicles was parked at the side of the road and a pedestrian walking past caught it with there head which lead a few stitches and a compensation claim,they have been removed now.

The stitches, or the guards? :smiley:

peirre:

toby1234abc:
Talking of bling bling, i know a driver who has spent ten grand on fancy lights, cab interior, all the boll055s that goes with pimping his ride.

Sounds like one of the former Pawsons drivers.

So why do you assume it sounds like one of the former Pawson drivers?

For all you guys that seem to think my post was crap you obviously drive on roads with no trees and hedges must be just motorway boys, try driving in the real world. I take a Volvo FH arctic with a rear steer trailer down single track lanes to get to farms for collections you have no choice but to run your mirrors through the hedgerows, (Yes we have them in the countryside) the protectors just save you from the branch you didnt see from bashing the mirrors. And no I dont drive down these lanes at speed I try to be as careful as possible but its nice to have the added protection. Remember just because the sign says unsuitable for HGVs it doesnt mean you cant go down them just its unsuitable and as long as you ahve done your homework and checked them out its ok. Be brave try turning of the motorway for a change you would be surprised how many other roads you can use.

Dazza1980:

peirre:

toby1234abc:
Talking of bling bling, i know a driver who has spent ten grand on fancy lights, cab interior, all the boll055s that goes with pimping his ride.

Sounds like one of the former Pawsons drivers.

So why do you assume it sounds like one of the former Pawson drivers?

I had the (dis) pleasure of driving several of their trucks, and many where over pimped whorehouses

Lmao agency driver ^^^^ none are over pimped at all. if you call the kelsa bars with spots on over pimped you need to get your eyes checked.