Spy cameras

On hearing the news that one of my ex employers has now fitted cameras that watch the driver to their trucks…it got me thinking about how I’d feel about that if my current employer went down the same route…

And I think I’d be pretty ■■■■■■ off…we have trackers, company phone with an app that can also track us when working for Tata and I think that’s enough.
Wouldn’t object to a forward facing dash cam, after all I have one of my own which I use…but to film the driver? Step too far, destroys the trust between driver and employer.

I’m lucky in that I work for a decent company who don’t hassle you, don’t sit watch the tracker and generally treat us as human beings.

Gonna make a great youtube compilation of drivers picking their noses :laughing:

This little chestnut crops up on here periodically. If I ever spot a tiny lens pointing at me, I’ll point the truck straight back to the yard, hand the keys over, and wish them all happy, fulfilling lives. I’ll also treat them to a video close up of my balloon knot for their later delectation. :smiling_imp:

ROG:
Gonna make a great youtube compilation of drivers picking their noses :laughing:

Or as the other ‘interesting pasttime’ thread shows, Master bates and his mates :slight_smile:

H.

I have just started with a company, first time tramping and first time doing tipper work and the truck that I have been given has a forward facing dash cam and a camera looking at me. Now the driver trainer insisted that the driver facing camera works with the forward facing cam to aid in investigation in the event of an accident, they can see what the driver was doing at the moment of said accident so they know I wasn’t on the phone or eating my dinner etc. He also insisted that both cameras are on a loop so when the memory is full after whatever time then it records over itself. Apparently, a lot of drivers weren’t too happy about a driver facing camera!

Scraggy88:
I have just started with a company, first time tramping and first time doing tipper work and the truck that I have been given has a forward facing dash cam and a camera looking at me. Now the driver trainer insisted that the driver facing camera works with the forward facing cam to aid in investigation in the event of an accident, they can see what the driver was doing at the moment of said accident so they know I wasn’t on the phone or eating my dinner etc. He also insisted that both cameras are on a loop so when the memory is full after whatever time then it records over itself. Apparently, a lot of drivers weren’t too happy about a driver facing camera!

Pink trucks?

Personally I don’t mind the forward cam, I have one myself. But I wouldn’t have a driver facing cam, I would cover it up till the point I got dragged in the office and then Hand in my keys.

They can use the forward facing cam to work out (or help them to) the reason for an accident, but watching me all day would make my ■■■ itch.

But what will we all do in 5 or 10 years time when they are standard fit or compulsory for insurance? Will the new breed of drivers just think they are normal? Will the older drivers (those who don’t want them) leave the job? Will it create another driver shortage?

Interesting times ahead with the development of technology…

Why not do what you see in the movies…

Take a ‘still’ fro the angle and direction of the camera, and then mount the photo on a clip in front of said ‘spy’ camera…?

Make it look like no-one’s driving too…

DonutUK:

Scraggy88:

Pink trucks?

Perhaps¿

obviously someone did something to warrant it. Wouldn’t worry me there’d be a lot of bleeps on play back. Oh and the cam would only be activated with the ignition on anyway.

Not for me thanks.

Boss had the new trucks fitted with forward, sides, rear, driver and fuel tank they all record 24/7 except the driver faceing one which only works when the ignition is switched on. He is now fitting all the trucks with them since it save him a fortune in insurance costs and damage repairs

why would any driver tolerate this? good god.

scotstrucker:
Boss had the new trucks fitted with forward, sides, rear, driver and fuel tank they all record 24/7 except the driver faceing one which only works when the ignition is switched on. He is now fitting all the trucks with them since it save him a fortune in insurance costs and damage repairs

How does a driver facing camera save in insurance cost,any accident even if the driver was doing a crossword at the time while ordering his online shopping would still be paid through the companies insurance,all this will prove is whether the driver will get sacked or bear any responsibility for what happened.
It won’t affect the insurances payout,they just tell you this and hope you’ll fall for it,yes the forward facing ones are very good as are the sides and rear but there is absolutely no justification in the driver facing ones,infact the contrevine basic human rights,ask your boss if he is ok to have a camera on constant record sat 12 inches from his face and he will be pulled up in eveytime he isn’t working during his paid time at work.

keep a roll of electrical tape in bag and stick over lens or chewing gum or blu tack
i presume that if employer were to fit driver facing cameras they would have to announce to workforce of change to working conditions
change contracts etc etc. yes i would consider it a breech of my human rights to be observed at work without VERY GOOD REASON and without somekind of compensation ie much higer rate of pay. saying its for insurance purposes is rubbish

Human rights ha some of you talk out your donkey… Every time your in a shop shopping your watched by a camera as are all the staff that work there. Go on go to work down tools throw your toys about. Nothing to worry about why worry :unamused:

nick2008:
Human rights ha some of you talk out your donkey… Every time your in a shop shopping your watched by a camera as are all the staff that work there. Go on go to work down tools throw your toys about. Nothing to worry about why worry :unamused:

CCTV is used in shops for crime prevention,how is a camera pointing at a drivers face for every second he is driving crime prevention?

You can see if he’s smoking! :smiley:

So you are all for these cameras then nick? I suppose you must be whiter than white.

happysack:
So you are all for these cameras then nick? I suppose you must be whiter than white.

Pick me nose sing along to be honest mate I don’t give a monkeys I just get on with the job.and no I ain’t snow white but if the company wants them and it stops damage etc that’s it. Part of the job…no different when we went from log books to tachographs