Spot checks by Police your reviews

I don’t necessarily think you were lucky, but although you can be done for being over your hours, there seems to be a bit of leeway. Most Vosa and police I’ve met when I’ve been stopped have been nothing but polite and fair, they seem to accept with traffic conditions and the nature of the job it isn’t always possible to be bang on with you hours.
Of course the other thing is you must have passed the attitude test when you were pulled.

GBPUB :unamused: :unamused: what does that mean■■?

I’m sick of abbreviations :imp: They are ok if you know what they mean…that is common and widely used. But no good if just idle typing. We could all use that - NBG, IYL, NOT, and on and on - then when someone tells you :open_mouth: oh yes…of course :unamused:

cliffystephens:
well there you are tyre “legal” no problem no need to have even been mentioned…

exactly my point, the tyre was legal, but the ‘experienced’ HGV Traffic Officer was trying to tell the driver that it wasn’t :unamused:

this guy was so far off the mark with everything he had a go about, the other two that were with him were trying to tell him, but he just ignored them

i even spoke to the ■■■■■■ on the phone when the driver called me about the tacho calibration being ‘out of date’ :unamused:

as far as he was concerned, he was a police officer, and as such, he was right and everybody else was wrong :unamused:

Having been driving Irish lorrys for the last 10 years have had my share of being pulled and overall have had no problems with VOSA ( i.e. never been fined by them) but the police are completly different was pulled in Maidstone services by Kent police and accused of having no rest had actually done a boat movement from Ireland to the UK the PC said i had had a split break and having spent 8 hours on the boat should then have parked up for a further 9 even showing him a tacho disc handout explaining boat movements he was still adament that i was wrong luckily his partner had a slightly better understanding of the rules and was able to put him right but just goes to show how little in depth knowledge they have

I got pulled on the M62 by a merseyside copper for a tacho check. Took my card, then came back 5 mins later telling me i’d had 4 reduced daily rests that week. Told him i hadn’t and could prove it by showing him my timesheets. Showed him that i’d only had 2, then he proceeded to tell me that I could infact only have 2 reduced rests in a 2 week period and i’d gone over that!!! :imp: :imp: Argued the toss with him without trying to lose my temper! He was having none of it, he was right of course! He said he was going to take his card reader back to base and download it and i’d hear from them by post. That was 4 months ago and surprise surprise I havn’t heard anything. Sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous. :unamused:

billybigrig:

ROG:
DVSA roadside checks: fines and financial deposits - GOV.UK
Scroll down for penalties

No 15 minute leeway

IMO cop used discression/common sense as it was not a regular occurance

VOSA seem to be of a different opinion :laughing: :laughing:

businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … sits_0.pdf

The legislation shows the first hour as a £60.00 penalty, but VOSA examiners will generally allow a 15 minute tolerance before notice issue. If, however a driver repeatedly ‘makes use’ of this 15 minutes then the examiner may still take action.

Page 10 on your link ROG :grimacing:

Highlighted something folk should be wary of, if the Vostapo are having a bad day your getting the wallet out.

Our Rules and Regs are a small part of a Rozzers job, they know more Rules and Regs than we could ever care about, Yeh there are some halfwits with Blue lights on the roof, but theres also halfwits that drive for a living, Give em abit of a break, because I bet if you wasnt a Lorryist you wouldnt want to be a Rozzer either, because I certainly wouldnt,
They do a decent enough job with ■■■■ all thanks for it.

shuttlespanker:

gm:
Got tugged on the M3 at Fleet services for a spot check - Police biker red lights follow me etc
Well he checked the lot - Tacho , DCPC, ADR - Manifest notes etc
Came back 30 minutes later gave me everything back - then said - a few minor tacho offences but no action - on your way driver
Result
He pointed out where i had run over a couple of times by 5 or 6 minutes in the last 28 days -
Point being was he being nice or could he actually have done me ? I thought u had a 15 minute lee way on all tacho offences anyway -
So nice traffic officer or was i just untouchable ?
cheers
Steve

well, it certainly sounds like you got a better police officer than one of my drivers did

he got pulled in to Fleet Services by a car with 3 police officers in it

the male in charge was an experienced HGV traffic officer (allegedly), who promptly told my driver that the tacho was out of calibration, as the date on the sticker is when it expires, and not when it was last calibrated, he also went on to explain that as my driver was running at a total of 37,500 KGs, he was 1500 KGs overweight as the weight limit in the UK for a 6 axle combination was 36,000KGs, there was a tyre on the trailer that was getting ready for a recut and he had a go about that too, there was also a 4th thing, of which i cannot remember what it was now, but, the only thing he could have actually legally done anything about was the tyre on the trailer

the date on the calibration certificate is when it was calibrated, NOT when it expires as he claimed

since when did the UK have a 36,000KGs weight limit?

Did your man get ‘done’ for any of these?
No he didn’t.
So what the [ZB] are you whining about :question: :question: :question: :unamused:

Quite a few moons ago I used to know a traffic sergeant who was on the same local Lorry Driver of the Year organising group as me. I remember him saying at one of our meetings, that he told his officers not to stop lorries just on a whim, because there were thirteen pieces of paper that could be asked for, and that the driver was likely to tie the constable up in knots if he wasn’t careful.

I can’t remember all of them now.

shuttlespanker:
the date on the calibration certificate is when it was calibrated, NOT when it expires as he claimed

Actually, it is :

• every 2 years - to check that the system is working properly, and … every 6 years re-calibration.

The 2 yearly inspection is due when :

2 years after the date shown on the installation plaque; or

2 years after the date shown on the 2 yearly inspection plaque; and …

• every 6 years - to calibrate the tachograph.

The 6 yearly inspection is due 6 years after the date shown on the installation plaque. :wink:

So are you still running those old Ovlovs then Spanky > ? :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

gm:
I suppose i was lucky then
the officer did make quite a point of saying he had a valid HGV and used it during his time off -
could have been a fellow driver i suppose -
mind u who cares i got a clean bill of health so sorted
cheers
Steve

So he would come under the working time directive then if he got paid

dri-diddly-iver:

I’m sick of abbreviations :imp: They are ok if you know what they mean…that is common and widely used. But no good if just idle typing. We could all use that - NBG, IYL, NOT, and on and on - then when someone tells you :open_mouth: oh yes…of course :unamused:

Check out all the names of the people who have posted on this thread. You will find the answer
its his user name.

trux:

shuttlespanker:

Actually, it is :

• every 2 years - to check that the system is working properly, and … every 6 years re-calibration.

The 6 yearly inspection is due 6 years after the date shown on the installation plaque. :wink:

So are you still running those old Ovlovs then Spanky > ? :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

If it is a digi tacho, it is 2 yearly, there is not a 6 yearly check :wink:

And me running old volvo’s?

You must have me mistaken for someone else, never owned a volvo truck in my life :wink:

Simon:

shuttlespanker:

gm:
Got tugged on the M3 at Fleet services for a spot check - Police biker red lights follow me etc
Came back 30 minutes later gave me everything back - then said - a few minor tacho offences but no action - on your way driver
Result
He pointed out where i had run over a couple of times by 5 or 6 minutes in the last 28 days -
Point being was he being nice or could he actually have done me ? I thought u had a 15 minute lee way on all tacho offences anyway -
cheers
Steve

well, it certainly sounds like you got a better police officer than one of my drivers did

the male in charge was an experienced HGV traffic officer (allegedly), who promptly told my driver that the tacho was out of calibration, as the date on the sticker is when it expires, and not when it was last calibrated, he also went on to explain that as my driver was running at a total of 37,500 KGs, he was 1500 KGs overweight as the weight limit in the UK for a 6 axle combination was 36,000KGs, there was a tyre on the trailer that was getting ready for a recut and he had a go about that too, there was also a 4th thing, of which i cannot remember what it was now, but, the only thing he could have actually legally done anything about was the tyre on the trailer

Did your man get ‘done’ for any of these?
No he didn’t.
So what the [ZB] are you whining about :question: :question: :question: :unamused:

Not whining about anything Simon, just letting the members on here know that there are police officers in the Fleet area that do not know the law that they are supposed to be upholding

No, my driver did not get done for anything, as there was nothing he could be done for, although, I was kind of hoping that he would have given the driver a ticket for any of the ‘offences’ as I would have had some real fun with that :slight_smile:

fingermissing:

dri-diddly-iver:

Check out all the names of the people who have posted on this thread. You will find the answer
its his user name.

Bloody el!! :blush:

shuttlespanker:

gm:
Result
cheers
Steve

Never but some smaller units like an F7 were only plated at that, maybe he was trained on them :stuck_out_tongue:

The tacho calibration date is correct, but with a fire extinguisher it must show the test expiry date

police checks aren’t all a waste of time these days . our local plod had a traffic check day last week ( well it is nearly time for their annual party ) and according to the local rag they nailed 30 on the phone , 25 no seatbelt , 1 drunk , 1 on drugs and a transit on red diesel and one numpty reading a newspaper at the wheel . then we wonder why the roads are bad . they obviously missed the shed load of others that didn’t get spotted . no trucks were stopped as vosa have their own check routine

erfguy:

GBPub:
Were you running with orange plates open? We have had a few stops by police because of that and they mainly checked ADR kit and related paperwork. In my opinion it isn’t their job to check us and they ought to be doing other stuff.

So if a motor is running on ADR plates it or the driver will be 100% legal is that what you mean GBPUB. If that is your opinion methinks you are on cloud nine,every motor can develope faults and can you vouch that every ADR operator is
100% legal. Eddie.

Not saying that at all. I am saying that most police officers don’t have a clue therefore they should concentrate on other policing matters and leave our industry to VOSA.

As for those running ADR, in my experience most running on orange tend to be doing it by the book, whereas there are plenty out there running ADR without a ticket or kit etc. These are the ones who often get away with it because they aren’t showing orange plates. We get stopped far more when running on orange than when not, hence why we do it by the book.

erfguy:

GBPub:
Were you running with orange plates open? We have had a few stops by police because of that and they mainly checked ADR kit and related paperwork. In my opinion it isn’t their job to check us and they ought to be doing other stuff.

So if a motor is running on ADR plates it or the driver will be 100% legal is that what you mean GBPUB. If that is your opinion methinks you are on cloud nine,every motor can develope faults and can you vouch that every ADR operator is
100% legal. Eddie.

I think the point he’s making is that the Police are there to protect us, uphold the law, peace and order etc…and NOT to be doing checks to ‘see’ if you’re legal. We have VOSA to do these ‘checks’. Thats how i read it anyway.

I always found coppers don’t know their arse from their elbow. There’s a forum for them (maybe a specials one), and if anyone thinks dumb questions are asked here, go try the coppers one.

Mike-C:

erfguy:

GBPub:

100% legal. Eddie.

I think the point he’s making is that the Police are there to protect us, uphold the law, peace and order etc…and NOT to be doing checks to ‘see’ if you’re legal. We have VOSA to do these ‘checks’. Thats how i read it anyway.

I always found coppers don’t know their arse from their elbow. There’s a forum for them (maybe a specials one), and if anyone thinks dumb questions are asked here, go try the coppers one.

Well i’d never have thought there were police forums :open_mouth: , mite go and have a look.

trux:

shuttlespanker:

Actually, it is :

I might be talking crap, sure someone will tell me if I am, but I didn’t think there was actually any enforcement penalties available to them on tacho calibrations.