Spot checks by Police your reviews

Got tugged on the M3 at Fleet services for a spot check - Police biker red lights follow me etc
Well he checked the lot - Tacho , DCPC, ADR - Manifest notes etc
Came back 30 minutes later gave me everything back - then said - a few minor tacho offences but no action - on your way driver
Result
He pointed out where i had run over a couple of times by 5 or 6 minutes in the last 28 days -
Point being was he being nice or could he actually have done me ? I thought u had a 15 minute lee way on all tacho offences anyway -
So nice traffic officer or was i just untouchable ?
cheers
Steve

Were you running with orange plates open? We have had a few stops by police because of that and they mainly checked ADR kit and related paperwork. In my opinion it isn’t their job to check us and they ought to be doing other stuff.

Yes it was a haz load - but i have all my own kit - company supplied stuff is ok for the regs but is way to basic for my liking -
i.e. i have a proper full face respirator and an ATEK torch , chemical suit instead of apron etc this wasn’t an issue
it was the tacho offences i was wondering about
cheers
Steve

businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … sits_0.pdf
Scroll down for penalties

No 15 minute leeway

IMO cop used discression/common sense as it was not a regular occurance

ROG:
DVSA roadside checks: fines and financial deposits - GOV.UK

No 15 minute leeway

VOSA seem to be of a different opinion :laughing: :laughing:

The legislation shows the first hour as a £60.00 penalty, but VOSA examiners will generally allow a 15 minute tolerance before notice issue. If, however a driver repeatedly ‘makes use’ of this 15 minutes then the examiner may still take action.

Page 10 on your link ROG :grimacing:

billybigrig:

ROG:
DVSA roadside checks: fines and financial deposits - GOV.UK

No 15 minute leeway

VOSA seem to be of a different opinion :laughing: :laughing:

The legislation shows the first hour as a £60.00 penalty, but VOSA examiners will generally allow a 15 minute tolerance before notice issue. If, however a driver repeatedly ‘makes use’ of this 15 minutes then the examiner may still take action.

Page 10 on your link ROG :grimacing:

thats quite handy to know, so repeatly mite mean more than twice a month? i take it they only look at the last 28 days.

gm:
Got tugged on the M3 at Fleet services for a spot check - Police biker red lights follow me etc
Came back 30 minutes later gave me everything back - then said - a few minor tacho offences but no action - on your way driver
Result
He pointed out where i had run over a couple of times by 5 or 6 minutes in the last 28 days -
Point being was he being nice or could he actually have done me ? I thought u had a 15 minute lee way on all tacho offences anyway -
cheers
Steve

well, it certainly sounds like you got a better police officer than one of my drivers did

he got pulled in to Fleet Services by a car with 3 police officers in it

the male in charge was an experienced HGV traffic officer (allegedly), who promptly told my driver that the tacho was out of calibration, as the date on the sticker is when it expires, and not when it was last calibrated, he also went on to explain that as my driver was running at a total of 37,500 KGs, he was 1500 KGs overweight as the weight limit in the UK for a 6 axle combination was 36,000KGs, there was a tyre on the trailer that was getting ready for a recut and he had a go about that too, there was also a 4th thing, of which i cannot remember what it was now, but, the only thing he could have actually legally done anything about was the tyre on the trailer

the date on the calibration certificate is when it was calibrated, NOT when it expires as he claimed

since when did the UK have a 36,000KGs weight limit?

shuttlespanker:

gm:
Result
cheers
Steve

well, it certainly sounds like you got a better police officer than one of my drivers did

he got pulled in to Fleet Services by a car with 3 police officers in it

the male in charge was an experienced HGV traffic officer (allegedly), who promptly told my driver that the tacho was out of calibration, as the date on the sticker is when it expires, and not when it was last calibrated, he also went on to explain that as my driver was running at a total of 37,500 KGs, he was 1500 KGs overweight as the weight limit in the UK for a 6 axle combination was 36,000KGs, there was a tyre on the trailer that was getting ready for a recut and he had a go about that too, there was also a 4th thing, of which i cannot remember what it was now, but, the only thing he could have actually legally done anything about was the tyre on the trailer

the date on the calibration certificate is when it was calibrated, NOT when it expires as he claimed

since when did the UK have a 36,000KGs weight limit?

And we have numptys like this pattroling our roads and “policing” us■■?
This is basic school boy stuff FFS! :unamused:
If my memory serves me right, tacho callibration is every 2 years from that date is it not?

And anyway, I digress, i copied this too on the over hours stuff-
“The legislation shows the first hour as a £60.00 penalty, but VOSA examiners will generally allow a 15 minute tolerance before notice issue. If, however a driver repeatedly ‘makes use’ of this 15 minutes then the examiner may still take action.”

what the f— is a tyre getting ready for a recut …bit like saying you are up in the morning when your still in bed …legal or not simple…

cliffystephens:
what the f— is a tyre getting ready for a recut …bit like saying you are up in the morning when your still in bed …legal or not simple…

1mm is fine! :grimacing: they run better on slicks anyway! :open_mouth: I thought it was 38 tonne before 44 tonne :unamused: :open_mouth: experienced copper with HGV entitlement indeed! :laughing: :sunglasses: :grimacing:

Fatboy slimslow:

cliffystephens:

1mm is fine! :grimacing: they run better on slicks anyway! :open_mouth: I thought it was 38 tonne before 44 tonne :unamused: :open_mouth: experienced copper with HGV entitlement indeed! :laughing: :sunglasses: :grimacing:

i didn’t say he had a HGV entitlement, i said he was an experienced HGV traffic Officer

and cliffystephens, what part of getting ready for a recut did you not understand?

you buy a tyre brand new, run it until it gets low, then you can recut it to put some more grooves in it and run it again, this process is called ‘recutting’ or ‘regrooving’

when a tyre gets low, as in, down to the wear indicator blocks (all tyres have them :wink: ), it is ready for a recut, simple :slight_smile:

or, are you just too stupid to understand this?

GBPub:
Were you running with orange plates open? We have had a few stops by police because of that and they mainly checked ADR kit and related paperwork. In my opinion it isn’t their job to check us and they ought to be doing other stuff.

So if a motor is running on ADR plates it or the driver will be 100% legal is that what you mean GBPUB. If that is your opinion methinks you are on cloud nine,every motor can develope faults and can you vouch that every ADR operator is
100% legal. Eddie.

The berk that pulled me hadn’t even heard of Domestic rules

Well, i say pulled me, more like the one that snuck up behind me while i was taking a ■■■■, but that’s not the point :laughing:

why so much venom mr shuttle cut a few tyres in my time fact is tyre is either legal or illegal end of now have a nice day now…

when it gets down to the wear indicators, it is still legal, but is ready for a recut

make of that what you will :wink:

I suppose i was lucky then
the officer did make quite a point of saying he had a valid HGV and used it during his time off -
could have been a fellow driver i suppose -
mind u who cares i got a clean bill of health so sorted
cheers
Steve

but is it legal all the way round the tred mmmmm…

cliffystephens:
but is it legal all the way round the tred mmmmm…

it must have been, because he didn’t give the driver a ticket for it :wink:

well there you are tyre “legal” no problem no need to have even been mentioned…