Spooky moments out on the road

perkibre:

Born Idle:
I think I didn’t see a ghost!
I got woken up in my truck one night a few months ago near Chesterfield by the sound of two people squabbling. It sounded like they were right beside my cab, but each time I looked there was nobody to be seen. Eventually I turned all the cab lights on and got out with a torch because their row was keeping me awake. I thought it was either somebody deliberately winding me up or perhaps kids maybe trying to rob from the wagon, but there was not a soul around, anywhere. Deciding I’m just getting old & senile I went back to bed.
I was up and about to drive off at 5.30 the following morning when another truck driver (who had been parked up about 30-40 yards behind me) pulled over next to my cab and asked me what I’d said to the two people who were having a row. I asked what he meant, and he said he’d heard them arguing, looked out of his cab and saw me standing next to them and then they left…

…I haven’t parked there since!

Was this in the layby on the A617, heading into Chesterfield ?

No, I was parked up in Goytside Rd, just west of the town centre.

When my dad was driving for Ken Abrams, he was heading down a country lane at stupid oclock in the morning, pitch black when he noticed a farmer walking towards him , He went past the farmer , a bit unnerved he jumped out to see if he needed a lift. When he got round the other side of the wagon the farmer was gone.

z

cargocargocargo:
I have never been so scared as I was driving over the Fairy Bridge on the way from Castletown to the boat in Douglas in IOM very early one morning. Legend has it that if you don’t ‘tip your hat’ to the fairies on the way over, bad [zb] will overcome you. Well, the day before I had been giving it the big I Am - fairies, pah! But I can tell you now, that morning, in the pitch dark, the hair was standing up on the back of my neck like a good’un and I was blabbering “Hello fairies, how are you, have a good day, etc, etc” with the best of them! :blush:

My dad was a Manx man and he told me that you had to say hello to the fairies when you crossed the bridge or else something bad would happen to you.[emoji15]

sinclair89:
When my dad was driving for Ken Abrams, he was heading down a country lane at stupid oclock in the morning, pitch black when he noticed a farmer walking towards him , He went past the farmer , a bit unnerved he jumped out to see if he needed a lift. When he got round the other side of the wagon the farmer was gone.

How’s he knows he was a farmer ?

raymundo:

sinclair89:

Because the sheep that ran up afterwards and asked me dad if he had seen some one walking up this way, the tight fisted git didn’t pay again :wink:

[quote=“damoq”
My dad was a Manx man and he told me that you had to say hello to the fairies when you crossed the bridge or else something bad would happen to you.[emoji15]

[/quote]
Can equate with that, had nothing but bad luck since I ■■■ pahhed the idea when on holiday there, and that was way back in '89 !! :frowning:

sinclair89:

raymundo:

sinclair89:

Because the sheep that ran up afterwards and asked me dad if he had seen some one walking up this way, the tight fisted git didn’t pay again :wink:

Oh I see the floppy topped wellington boots gave the game away :slight_smile:

A little while after my Mum died, I was driving down the A1 on a dark night, near Grantham & I saw a Really Bright Shooting Star fly across the sky in front of me.

Mum originated from Grantham !
Spooky or What ?

I’ve mentioned this one before but I’m pretty sure this was slightly odd.

In the 1980s travelling with my old man and uncle up to Scotland in a transit van. Crawling up a hill on black isle think it was. Doing about 20 mph, the gutless thing crawling. Anyway, we noticed on the left this woman in her 20s by the side of the road, waving a bloody sunflower up and down?! She was dressed in 1970s sort of get up. Just as she was about, all of 30 feet near the van in the headlights, she vanished. I mean actually wasn’t there. Like a tv when the power is killed. Absolutely didn’t walk or run off. Strangest ■■■■■■■ thing I’ve ever seen in my life. Not a big one for ghosts, but I saw that and it was odd.

I was not a lorry driver at this time, being 14, and relying on Shank’s pony, and any illegal rides on Vespas and Lambrettas I could blag but vividly remember, whilst walking with a friend, seeing a guy stood leaned up against a railway bridge in my home town with one leg bent up supporting him. When we walked past a tree obscuring this view he was gone. There was nowhere he could have gone, with it being a long bridge over many tracks, apart from jumping down 30-40 feet onto the tracks. No suicides were reported. Scroll back a few years and there was a very serious RTA involving a Transit van and a car which had fatal consequences on the same bridge, still spooks me out and makes me think every time I drive over the bridge.

my old man swears blind he once hit a woman on the M11 in fog when he eventually got out of the truck she wasn’t there. this would be back in the 80’s

Not spooky but weird was one night going up the bank on the M6 up to the M1 saw a meteor fire ball.Massive thing like a ball of fire and you could see the bugger bounce off the atmosphere.
Few trucks and cars stopped on the hard shoulder.An amazing sight.
Once in a life time moment I suppose.

Just a couple of months after my poor old mum passed away I was having a well earned kip overnight in some truck park in Poland and I thought I woke up to see her sitting on the edge of the bunk and she said to me ‘it’s about time you sorted your life out Ray’ !! wish I had taken her advice sometimes … but even years later I still wonder was I was dreaming, or not :open_mouth:

Freight Dog:
I’ve mentioned this one before but I’m pretty sure this was slightly odd.

In the 1980s travelling with my old man and uncle up to Scotland in a transit van. Crawling up a hill on black isle think it was. Doing about 20 mph, the gutless thing crawling. Anyway, we noticed on the left this woman in her 20s by the side of the road, waving a bloody sunflower up and down?! She was dressed in 1970s sort of get up. Just as she was about, all of 30 feet near the van in the headlights, she vanished. I mean actually wasn’t there. Like a tv when the power is killed. Absolutely didn’t walk or run off. Strangest [zb] thing I’ve ever seen in my life. Not a big one for ghosts, but I saw that and it was odd.

Now where did I read somewhere that airline pilots have been known to have to seen UFO’s
(I do not doubt what you saw btw)

getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-n … 10-4807754

I parked up in the dark in a factory estate in Redhill. In the early hours I was woken by lights and a loud roaring noise. I looked out (windows steamed up) and there, of the roof of the factory opposite, was a monster machine. I am not easily spooked but that thing was huge, with flashing lights and making a hell of a din, sitting right there, just above the roof of the factory.

Not a flying saucer as it turned out, just a rail mending machine on the embankment behind the buildings.

I was once parked up just south of Crianlarich on the A82. And I suddenly woke up in the wee small hours thinking I was in a run away, I was convinced I was rolling downhill but I had sort of semi froze in fear and I was really struggling to make myself move … anyhoos, when I did manage to wake myself I realised it was a heavy freight train passing, even though I had thought that I had found a very quiet layby, I had in fact just parked about 20 yards from the railway. It is quiet a steep climb at that point for trains and I guess this was heavy train heading towards the alcan works at KinlochLeven, the engine or may be two locamotives were probably at full power as they trundled by.

Many drivers have had a power nap on the bunk with the engine running or switched off.
You are fast asleep in a layby when a truck parks in front of you.
You suddenly wake up in a state of panic and jump out of the bunk and in to the drivers seat to put the foot on your brakes.
For some reason, the brain assumed you were going to drive in to the back of the truck.
It happened to me.

toby1234abc:
Many drivers have had a power nap on the bunk with the engine running or switched off.
You are fast asleep in a layby when a truck parks in front of you.
You suddenly wake up in a state of panic and jump out of the bunk and in to the drivers seat to put the foot on your brakes.
For some reason, the brain assumed you were going to drive in to the back of the truck.
It happened to me.

I can relate to that, I was once having 10 mins kip sat in the seat in a lay by, my mate approached saw it was me, pulled up to my front bumper and blasted the air horns, I woke looked up and saw a truck inches from me, I thought ‘‘■■■■, I’ve dropped off’’ I grabbed the wheel and stood on the brake, I could have strangled the ■■■■■■■ who was ■■■■■■■ himself laughing. :smiley: