Spooky moments out on the road

Anyone had any supernatural occurrences whilst out on the road in the wee hours of the morning ?

Quite a few years back I was parked up just outside the forestry in a fairly remote location, it was just past midnight but as it was mid summer it wasn’t entirely dark. I was sat in the passenger seat half asleep with my legs stretched out when I noticed a couple of distant lights coming towards me. The lights were not steady like another vehicle, nor did they keep a uniform distance apart, they would occasionally shine down or up or sideways, occasionally moving behind each other and swapping sides., I guessed they were a couple of walkers. I kept watching them as they approached but they were far too fast for walkers, I then thought may be joggers but there was something very odd in the way they were moving, I then realised they were a long way off the ground, cab height. they were moving at a good pace and the lights were shinning all over the place, I could hear heavy breathing and a fair bit of noise … I suddenly felt all panicky, heart racing, I was trying to get over into the drivers seat but I was nearly freezing in fear, then one of the lights shone through the window … it was a couple of horse riders, what the ■■■■ they were doing out at that time of the night I have no idea, Jeez, what a fright they give me.

So anyone else have any odd moments of a spooky nature whilst out in your truck?

Yes.

I can remember parking up in Germany one night ,not in a truck but a sprinter, where i parked was very quite , it was a nice summers night , i kept hearing faint noises like something hitting the van , so i got up and opened the side door of the van, and could see loads of firefly’s , i nearly ■■■■ myself at first , as it was the first time i had seen them , and the noises where them flying into the van,lol

Also there has been a few times when getting tired whilst driving down dark lanes i have thought i have seen someone or something in the road ,

I remember somebody telling me about one of Henry Forsyth Ltds older drivers taking a heavy container to Southampton one Halloween Night many moons ago. He was doing about 5mph struggling up one of the hills around Birdlip in one of the old ERF’s and some wag in a ghost costume jumped on the passenger step and banged on the window and stuck his face against the glass and then jumped off and ran away…driver nearly had a coronary!!

What gets me almost every time is owls, especially on moonlit nights when the little ■■■■■■■ glow!!! So seeing this glowing, floating mass swoop down alongside or in front of the truck ■■■■■ me up every time.

Working on a rail/canal bridge job in the disappeared village of Hampton Gay near Kidlington (only a couple of farms and rarely used church now), I parked up for a break and had a wander around the ruins of an old manor house. Nasty atmosphere, not sure whether it felt sad or evil but definitely a feeling I wasn’t wanted there. The bridge we were delivering to was the site of a rail disaster on Christmas Eve 1874. According to local legend some survivors walked in the snow to the manor house for help but the butler slammed the door on them thinking they were beggars.

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc … BqDCtbFWaQ

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc … SwZQ3FftGw

I saw the film The Blair Witch Project, a few days later I was parked in the middle of nowhere in a forest, I did not sleep well, every noise in the night, I had to check what it was.

on one Friday night on the m5 I had a freelander crawl past me when I glanced over there was a woman (I use this in the loosest possible term) giving it what for naked.

seeing as she was about 25 stone its still to this day one of the scariest things I have seen.

I think I didn’t see a ghost!
I got woken up in my truck one night a few months ago near Chesterfield by the sound of two people squabbling. It sounded like they were right beside my cab, but each time I looked there was nobody to be seen. Eventually I turned all the cab lights on and got out with a torch because their row was keeping me awake. I thought it was either somebody deliberately winding me up or perhaps kids maybe trying to rob from the wagon, but there was not a soul around, anywhere. Deciding I’m just getting old & senile I went back to bed.
I was up and about to drive off at 5.30 the following morning when another truck driver (who had been parked up about 30-40 yards behind me) pulled over next to my cab and asked me what I’d said to the two people who were having a row. I asked what he meant, and he said he’d heard them arguing, looked out of his cab and saw me standing next to them and then they left…

…I haven’t parked there since!

Born Idle:
I think I didn’t see a ghost!
I got woken up in my truck one night a few months ago near Chesterfield by the sound of two people squabbling. It sounded like they were right beside my cab, but each time I looked there was nobody to be seen. Eventually I turned all the cab lights on and got out with a torch because their row was keeping me awake. I thought it was either somebody deliberately winding me up or perhaps kids maybe trying to rob from the wagon, but there was not a soul around, anywhere. Deciding I’m just getting old & senile I went back to bed.
I was up and about to drive off at 5.30 the following morning when another truck driver (who had been parked up about 30-40 yards behind me) pulled over next to my cab and asked me what I’d said to the two people who were having a row. I asked what he meant, and he said he’d heard them arguing, looked out of his cab and saw me standing next to them and then they left…

…I haven’t parked there since!

Was this in the layby on the A617, heading into Chesterfield ?

BOO

read a book years ago called ghosts of the highways and skyways about true ghosties,scary but a good read

If you overnight on the industrial estate at Brookands keep an ear out for Percy Lamberts’ ghost. For some reason his old pre war racer can be heard during the small hours and some people report hearing a load bang before the car noise stops.

Anyone travelling to the industrial estate at Stanton Harcourt beware of Kevin Wilkins’ ghost as you enter Sutton village from Eynsham. He was a young bloke walking home from a party back in the early '80s when a passing car ran him over. His ghost is said to stagger into the road near the South Leigh turn and vanish as you “hit” him.

Gangsdown Hill near Nettlebed is meant to be haunted by an old style red mini. In the late '90s there was a fatal crash on the hill that killed several members of the same family, and witnesses claimed to have seen a red mini very close to the two cars seconds before the head on crash.

…Used to do bulk 6 wheeler hiab work on nights many years ago. A DAF 2500 ( if I was, ( lucky ) :stuck_out_tongue: ) and an ERF with a HMF…
If I was luckier.
Low and behold gents this night this one and faithful night, the longest run of the weeks shift patterns,… The cab phone ringeth

T’ is I, your TM!

One of the lads coud’nt any more in box collection round…can ya collect from another village number?

OK. I agree… forgetting this diversion tour took me past a well known : :slight_smile: mansion in this particular neck of the woods.

So,.having set forth from my usually last collection point some 60 miles pervious I Igot on my way nearly forgetting this out-of-the-way number… Bit of cross lander on my way to the mill but never mind!..

As I detoured across fabled land of gohsts of gent and ladied territory, then the thought struck me :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: … The Old mansion whence in the 17th century mansion was built and that there was a young lady who used to drift across the carriageway in a white chiffion number… Or so a local fire brigade reported in the local press… That place always spooks me

I heard Rogef Moore was going to buy it once… Probably did’nt get on with the gohst bird in the white chiffon number :smiley: :

You’ll no doubt ■■■■ yourselves laughing at this one, but it gets me every time. We have a proper gantry truck wash at our place, as well as a jet wash. The truck wash uses recycled water, filtered etc, but at this time of year all the salt just ends up back over your motor.

So what I do is wait until the wash is a foot or so from the back of the trailer, then I fire up the jetwash. That way, I can soap up the unit properly, and shift any muck the wash has missed, as the wash moves back, it rinses off the motor, but with salty water. So if I time it right, I have enough left of the jetwash rinse cycle, to get the salt off.

However, the wash comes to rest just beyond the doors of the unit. So as I’m finishing off the rinse and cleaning my screen, the wash is going back. As I have no reference point to the ground whilst looking up, it seems like my motor is coming at me through a stationary wash. Even though I know it’s going to happen, it still gets me every time!!!

I have never been so scared as I was driving over the Fairy Bridge on the way from Castletown to the boat in Douglas in IOM very early one morning. Legend has it that if you don’t ‘tip your hat’ to the fairies on the way over, bad ■■■■ will overcome you. Well, the day before I had been giving it the big I Am - fairies, pah! But I can tell you now, that morning, in the pitch dark, the hair was standing up on the back of my neck like a good’un and I was blabbering “Hello fairies, how are you, have a good day, etc, etc” with the best of them! :blush:

cargocargocargo:
I have never been so scared as I was driving over the Fairy Bridge on the way from Castletown to the boat in Douglas in IOM very early one morning. Legend has it that if you don’t ‘tip your hat’ to the fairies on the way over, bad [zb] will overcome you. Well, the day before I had been giving it the big I Am - fairies, pah! But I can tell you now, that morning, in the pitch dark, the hair was standing up on the back of my neck like a good’un and I was blabbering “Hello fairies, how are you, have a good day, etc, etc” with the best of them! :blush:

lmao :laughing:

I did a night out at Purfleet ( International Timber ), when I first started on class 1 early this year. I was told to park on a patch of unlit wasteland on the edge of the site, near to the water.

About 2 am I woke up, it was pitch black and I felt a sort of gentle breeze across me, and I could have sworn something touched me. I was new to sleeping in a truck, and [zb] myself.

When I woke up at 7am, I realised that I had left my window ever so slightly open, and my kitchen roll on my stretched bungee across the top bunk straps had unrolled itself on me.

cargocargocargo:
"Hello fairies, how are you?

Lymm truckstops’ lavatories attract a few of them too. :laughing:

Muckaway:

cargocargocargo:
"Hello fairies, how are you?

Lymm truckstops’ lavatories attract a few of them too. :laughing:

That’s where I’ve seen you​:smiling_face::smiling_face: