Split from: Fuel Price Week begin --/--

Got a stinking hangover Rob so struggling through on here, point me to the other thread Chap.

germangeezer:
Im gonna try that light thing john boy it might make the old muck motors more desirable to prospective customers! dont suppose it will hurt the mpg the way my nutters drive em! :laughing:

Go for it Paul nothing can hurt fuel economy on tipping work in the smoke.

fly sheet:

Rob K:

fly sheet:

Rob K:
Dear Mr. Don Bur, you are wasting your time here. ODs on this site aren’t interested in making any money from it, all they want to do is drive a big shiny truck and be their “own boss” :unamused: . Having hundreds of lights bolted to the front is just a prerequisite of having your own truck and being your “own boss”.

Come on Rob you can do better than this Chap :unamused:

I’ve got 6 lights on my roof but it doesnt say own boss when they light up you know. Did’nt put em on myself as it goes & don’t really like em but now I know what you think I may fit some more :laughing:

And watch your 4mpg plummet to 2mpg you mean? :laughing: Btw, on a serious note, did you see my reply re your mpg issue on the other thread? :confused:

7.87mpg last week Rob which is fairly good going for my right boot, not seen tother thread I’ll take a gander.

Can’t remember where I posted now either :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: but it was in reply to the pic of your truck you’d posted. Judging by the axle config it would that it’s a double drive? If that is the case then that instantly explains why you are getting considerably less mpg than an equivalent single drive as they are always crap on fuel. :bulb:

Rob K:
Can’t remember where I posted now either :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: but it was in reply to the pic of your truck you’d posted. Judging by the axle config it would that it’s a double drive? If that is the case then that instantly explains why you are getting considerably less mpg than an equivalent single drive as they are always crap on fuel. :bulb:

I’ve seen Flysheet’s Volvo in the flesh (on the A9 somewhere south of Inverness IIRC), and can confirm it is in fact a 6x2 Tag.

FH16Globetrotter:

Rob K:

I’ve seen Flysheet’s Volvo in the flesh (on the A9 somewhere south of Inverness IIRC), and can confirm it is in fact a 6x2 Tag.

Never seen a 6x2 tag looking like that. I’d have put money on that being a double drive. :open_mouth: :confused:

John, fill us in pls. :smiley:

Its a single drive folks ( I hope Carryfast does’nt read this :laughing: ) its a bit choppy with the axle up though.

I’ve been sticking to around 85kmph this last few weeks & can confirm a saving of over half of one MPG :open_mouth:

If you go into its computer & divvy up kms against fuel used it had done 7.96mpg from new, I was getting high sixes from it at 90kph 1300 revs, Its doing 1200 revs at just over 80kph. I know from the day I bought the Broshuis with ramps behind my old FH that lost .5mpg with them ramps sticking up I’d previously had a Broshuis with clip on ramps. 80-85kph is fairly boring at times but with the price of squirt I thought it worth a try. Its the first lorry I’ve had with 295/80s on & I think if I fitted it with 315/80s I may get better fuel consumption as they’d knock the revs down a fraction.

I’m not a fan of all those lights TBHWY but its like spaghetti up top with the wiring, I’m sure they don’t help the economy, If I’m honest after running FH12/FH16 version ones I think Volvos have let themselves down with this 13 litre, I personally think it even sounds odd, which I know is a strange claim to make but if they don’t sound good they usually are’nt, IMHO. I’ve a good mate who runs a 13 litre 440 as a wagon & drag and like me his fuels only around the same as mine when he’s up around the 40t mark.

I’ll have to see whats about in the last quater of this year if this LEZ things too dear & maybe its time for a change of marque, maybe a Scania even :unamused:

fly sheet:
I’ve been sticking to around 85kmph this last few weeks & can confirm a saving of over half of one MPG

Mine are all clipped at 85 now, and I’ve seen similar improvement with no noticeable difference in journey times.

fly sheet:
80-85kph is fairly boring at times but with the price of squirt I thought it worth a try.

Don’t you find it less stressful though? Banging along on the limiter means you’re going as fast as you can, so there is nothing left to give when you need it. Also I find it much less stressful being overtaken than trying to use that 0.25mph speed advantage to get past that other truck! :smiley:

fly sheet:
Its the first lorry I’ve had with 295/80s on & I think if I fitted it with 315/80s I may get better fuel consumption as they’d knock the revs down a fraction.

True, but you’re going to have more rubber on the road as well which will increase the rolling resistance. What tyres has it got on currenty? I use Michelin Energy as they genuinely do give better MPG, but not sure they would work in your case, as I imagine you destroy the tyres long before they are worn out.

fly sheet:
I’m not a fan of all those lights TBHWY but its like spaghetti up top with the wiring, I’m sure they don’t help the economy,

Do yourself a favour, and get rid! They must be costing you dear, especially sitting atop the cab like that.

It has Conties on it which are nearly new, I’d not buy energy tyres, I do know ther’ye good though when I pulled John Manns trailers to Marocco & back his new Fruehaufs came with them on & you could feel the difference next to no drag at all. Doubt I’d be too happy ripping the guts out of one of them on site though!!

I’ll take another look at them lights when I next get the shed up, don’t get me wrong 2 lights up top really help at times but 6 is bollox, I like 2 above the sunvisor for country lanes & the likes, all my other FH’s have had them but this came like this, I had the air-kit removed but the lights looked like a nightmare so I just left them.

It is less stressfull I agree, its no bother really & I’m suprised at the amount of folks going around at 50mph these days. I’m just giving it a go if I had to do it I’d maybe not be too keen, I remember nearly killing myself in Poland years ago when I bought a G-reg with a limiter on & it took me ages to get used to being limited to 90ks but most folks maybe struggled but running older gear speed limiters came late on in my career.

I was up & down the A9 a while back going to Invergordon Keller had a big emergency job up there I think I did 5 loads back to back, back doing south again now though, its the way the job goes.

fly sheet:
It is less stressfull I agree, its no bother really & I’m suprised at the amount of folks going around at 50mph these days. I’m just giving it a go if I had to do it I’d maybe not be too keen, I remember nearly killing myself in Poland years ago when I bought a G-reg with a limiter on & it took me ages to get used to being limited to 90ks but most folks maybe struggled but running older gear speed limiters came late on in my career.

I was up & down the A9 a while back going to Invergordon Keller had a big emergency job up there I think I did 5 loads back to back, back doing south again now though, its the way the job goes.

I’ve dropped to 80k rather than sitting at 90 and i’m getting on average 1-1.2mpg better, a 12-15% saving on the weeks fuel at todays prices is a no brainer, also I’ve not noticed any difference in the length of my working day so i’ll be sticking to 80 from now on.

Thats with an 8X4 block wagon btw.

if you refuse to pass the costs on, where do you see yourself when diesel is £2/ltr or higher? Just continuing to bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away like all the other ODs?

jannypan:
if you refuse to pass the costs on, where do you see yourself when diesel is £2/ltr or higher? Just continuing to bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away like all the other ODs?

Is there an echo in here?

Rob, you appear to have found a soulmate! :open_mouth: :wink:

Goaty:
Rob, you appear to have found a soulmate! :open_mouth: :wink:

No, just another normal person with his/her head screwed on properly. :open_mouth: