Split from: Fuel Price Week begin --/--

MrReliable:
Many moons ago when I was owner driving the company that I hauled for had a Fuel Price Escalator operating on their payment system. They derived the ppm and mileage rates but still had the escalator in place. If the mileage was wrong and you asked them too look at it they did and normally did something with the payment for the job if the mileage was wrong.They also paid in 30 days !!
That was SEVEN years ago ! pulled the plug five and a half years ago when it looked to be going down the pan, I take my hat off to any owner driver out there today, but just as the agency and driver rates are being eroded by the cost of fuel and operating costs why oh why do people continue.The rates I was paid back then were more than the £1.20 a mile or so that is out there today and I moaned that fuel at 90 pence plus was expensiveYou can knock RobK all you like but when you get in a taxi and the mileage rate is not far behind what some of you guys get for running an artic you have to question your logic in carrying on !.
I have now not driven a truck for 6 months as the money for doing so doesn’t warrant the rubbish you have to take.
I would stand next too Rob and say you guy’s are crazy and probably much more !!!

You were paying 90ppl 5 1/2 years ago? Not sure if I should laugh or clap. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Unleaded 95 Octane Diesel Super unleaded LPG
Litres (gallons) litres (gallons) litres (gallons) litres
Northern Ireland 96.1 (436.9) 98.6 (448.2) 101.4 (461.0) 42.5
Scotland 94.3 (428.7) 97.0 (441.0) 100.6 (457.3) 40.5
Wales 95.1 (432.3) 97.5 (443.2) 99.1 (450.5) 39.3
North 94.6 (430.1) 97.3 (442.3) 101.3 (460.5) 39.7
North West 94.1 (427.:sunglasses: 96.6 (439.2) 100.4 (456.4) 38.4
Yorkshire & Humberside 94.4 (429.2) 97.0 (441.0) 99.6 (452.:sunglasses: 36.4
West Midlands 95.0 (431.9) 97.5 (443.2) 101.1 (459.6) 40.4
East Midlands 94.7 (430.5) 97.4 (442.:sunglasses: 100.2 (455.5) 42.2
East Anglia 95.3 (433.2) 97.8 (444.6) 101.0 (459.2) 41.6
South East 95.0 (431.9) 97.6 (443.7) 100.9 (458.7) 43.1
South West 95.0 (431.9) 97.4 (442.:sunglasses: 100.2 (455.5) 42.4
London 94.8 (431.0) 97.5 (443.2) 101.1 (459.6) 42.5
UK AVERAGE 94.8 (431.0) 97.4 (442.:sunglasses: 100.6 (457.3) 40.8
Per cent taken as Tax 64.6 63.3 64.8
Supermarkets Unleaded 95 Octane Diesel Super unleaded LPG
SUPERMARKET AVERAGE 92.4 (420.1) 95.3 (433.2) 95.9 (436.0) 34.9
Per cent taken as Tax 65.9 64.3 67.2

• The AA Motoring Trust Fuel Price Report uses data sourced from Catalist Ltd & Arval (catalist.com)
    They are an average of mid-month prices from the respective regions (September prices as at 18/9/05).

Perhaps MrVain you should research a few bits before trying to make out I’m some sort of muppet, who didn’t know what I was at ? I’m not the one still operating or driving a Truck.

Just you boys carry on, one day the penny may drop there are two many trucks and drivers chasing too little work. !!!

All this slagging off and bitterness all the time to od s is wearing a bit thin now have any of you thought that some of us do the od thing cos we want to and get satisfaction out of it lifes not all about hos got the most cash long as ive got nuff money at the end of the month pay my bills im happy im sure if you asked most of the od s on hete its not just bout the money its not bout the name on the door either they are od s because they want to be times are hard yes but putting the knife in to od s is not the answer were all drivers at the end of the day !!

MrReliable:

• The AA Motoring Trust Fuel Price Report uses data sourced from Catalist Ltd & Arval (catalist.com)
    They are an average of mid-month prices from the respective regions (September prices as at 18/9/05).

ah !! including VAT

monarch of the highway:
All this slagging off and bitterness all the time to od s is wearing a bit thin now have any of you thought that some of us do the od thing cos we want to and get satisfaction out of it lifes not all about hos got the most cash long as ive got nuff money at the end of the month pay my bills im happy im sure if you asked most of the od s on hete its not just bout the money its not bout the name on the door either they are od s because they want to be times are hard yes but putting the knife in to od s is not the answer were all drivers at the end of the day !!

I’m not slagging off you guy’s that are o/d’s. If you read my previous post I said that I take my hat off to you guy’s still owner driving with the costs that are involved these days. People are moaning about how much it costs to fill a car, I would hate to be filling a truck up now.

I just smile when I see the post from Mr Vain to me highlighting the things HE thinks are wrong with my post above, he knows nothing of my O/D days and I don’t know what you guy’s earn and I am not interested to be honest. The paragraph that he has played with above is the figures I worked on when I was O/D. I read on here about £1.14 a mile on Maritime astound me and I just can’t see how it pays with fuel at £1.40 a litre.

I pulled the plug when I thought the reward was not worth the outlay. I got out still in profit, and have seen many members of this forum that havent.

MrReliable:

monarch of the highway:

I’m not slagging off you guy’s that are o/d’s. If you read my previous post I said that I take my hat off to you guy’s still owner driving with the costs that are involved these days. People are moaning about how much it costs to fill a car, I would hate to be filling a truck up now.

I just smile when I see the post from Mr Vain to me highlighting the things HE thinks are wrong with my post above, he knows nothing of my O/D days and I don’t know what you guy’s earn and I am not interested to be honest. The paragraph that he has played with above is the figures I worked on when I was O/D. I read on here about £1.14 a mile on Maritime astound me and I just can’t see how it pays with fuel at £1.40 a litre.

I pulled the plug when I thought the reward was not worth the outlay. I got out still in profit, and have seen many members of this forum that havent.

Point taken i shud have fead your previous post properly but there are some ho just come on here knocking ods obviously not you sorry

monarch of the highway:

And this is THE main reason why the rates are so [zb] because none of you are interested in actually making money at it, you just want to drive round in your flash trucks being your “own boss” and so long as you cover your outgoings you are “happy”. Next time I hear one of your moan about the rates I’ll be directing you to this post ^ so that once again, you can see that the only people to blame for them are yourselves. :bulb:

M

Rob K:

monarch of the highway:

And this is THE main reason why the rates are so [zb] because none of you are interested in actually making money at it, you just want to drive round in your flash trucks being your “own boss” and so long as you cover your outgoings you are “happy”. Next time I hear one of your moan about the rates I’ll be directing you to this post ^ so that once again, you can see that the only people to blame for them are yourselves. :bulb:

So y do u go to work then rob is it not to earn money to pay your bills thats life im afraid unless your a dole dosser weather i drive my own truck or somone elses i do it for money so i can pay my way through life incase you havnt noticed money dont grow on trees

I can see both sides of the argument here and in some ways agree with RobK.

From my experience, i have found that many owner drivers do not think of it as owning their own business. For example, you dont see many people open a shop up on a high street and be happy with just covering their costs and taking home a wage, most shop owners objective is to raise profits, always look into some next “big thing” which could increase sales and profits etc, people who own other businesses are always looking into how they can find new work, change product line up or offer a new service with the aim of expanding, but many owner drivers do not think this way, they are happy just operating one truck subbing for the likes of Maritime etc, which then raises the question of whats the point!

However, and this is where i disagree with RobK, not all owner drivers think this way. Goaty for example seems to run his operation as a business, always looking at the next line of work, and expansion.

AaronR

It all comes down to whether you want to work for someone else for life,or you have some ambition to start up on your own.Some people are happy running one vehicle,others have more ambition and want to expand.
Unfortunately some go into it without much business sense. You can’t blame someone for trying to better themselves.Unfortunately in the current climate,a lot of hauliers and O/D’s are having a hard time.
There’s an old saying " don’t kick people when they are down "

RobK this really is a ■■■■ poor generalisation of many people you know nothing about, my one & only inerest for getting up in a morning & going to work is to earn money end of, I fortunately/unfortunately do it with a lorry & have done for a long time, I appreciate you’ve got some kind of fixation on small hauliers/OD’s but you know some of us are just getting on with things in a poor economic climate & trying our best, Many of us come on here for a moan & groan which is what this forums for (I think :confused: ) It does’nt mean the end is nigh or we should have sold up years ago which seems to be your interperatation of high fuel prices it just means we all have to try that bit harder be it driving at 80kmph or finding light work. Its road haulage its over subscribed & unregulated but it can be satisfying to some & has given me a ■■■■■■■ good living as it goes for many years & I’m hoping it will continue as I’m not finished yet.

And this is THE main reason why the rates are so [zb] because none of you are interested in actually making money at it, you just want to drive round in your flash trucks being your “own boss” and so long as you cover your outgoings you are “happy”. Next time I hear one of your moan about the rates I’ll be directing you to this post ^ so that once again, you can see that the only people to blame for them are yourselves.

MrReliable:

Perhaps MrVain you should research a few bits before trying to make out I’m some sort of muppet, who didn’t know what I was at ? I’m not the one still operating or driving a Truck.

Just you boys carry on, one day the penny may drop there are two many trucks and drivers chasing too little work. !!!

Maybe we are at crossed purposes, but when we talk about fuel prices, we talk about pre vat price, not inclusive. So to make the point, in my eyes you were talking about 90ppl before vat. As it has been pointed out, some of us are quite happy for the time being doing our own thing. You bailed out to suit yr self, we’ve stuck at it to suit ourselves.

We always find debates like this very interesting.

(Found at http://www.donbur.co.uk/gb/fueltrends.shtml) - BULK price

If you consider the overall trend, this equates to about a 5% increase year-on-year, but this rate is expected to get steeper.

A more worrying trend we have noted is that many operators do little about it other than attempt to pass it on or absorb it (with often dire results). The number of times we have seen fuel-gulping bricks going down the road, with poorly aligned cab-top deflectors and several hundred lights arranged on the cab, is concerning.

The larger operators and 3PL’s are now all embracing fuel-saving kit, including tractors, trailers and rigids; a development thay have to invest in to keep ahead and meet CSR/CO2 expectations. There are still a considerable number of smaller operators though that consider initial capital cost or rental cost to be the killer, rather than the overall operational cost.

When you consider that one tractor/trailer travelling 60,000 miles per annum burns approx 32,000 litres of diesel at 8.5mpg, it’s not difficult to work out that the £36,500 (based on 113.78ppl) fuel cost in the first year alone represents arguably the biggest operational cost. A small investment up-front or in more economical kit from the rental companies will generate rapid pay-back and put you in a far better position in the long run.

Unfortunately, many smaller operators are not in a position to spend more in the short-term: possibly being in tight financial circumstances already.

What this does mean is that the efficiency gap between large/small operators is likely to widen.

What are the general views on fuel-saving equipment here? Is there a general perception that aerodynamics is a dark art that lacks credibility or is it purely the financial limitations?

Dear Mr. Don Bur, you are wasting your time here. ODs on this site aren’t interested in making any money from it, all they want to do is drive a big shiny truck and be their “own boss” :unamused: . Having hundreds of lights bolted to the front is just a prerequisite of having your own truck and being your “own boss”.

Rob K:
Dear Mr. Don Bur, you are wasting your time here. ODs on this site aren’t interested in making any money from it, all they want to do is drive a big shiny truck and be their “own boss” :unamused: . Having hundreds of lights bolted to the front is just a prerequisite of having your own truck and being your “own boss”.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Rob K:

Come on Rob you can do better than this Chap :unamused:

I’ve got 6 lights on my roof but it doesnt say own boss when they light up you know. Did’nt put em on myself as it goes & don’t really like em but now I know what you think I may fit some more :laughing:

fly sheet:

Rob K:

I’ve got 6 lights on my roof but it doesnt say own boss when they light up you know. Did’nt put em on myself as it goes & don’t really like em but now I know what you think I may fit some more :laughing:

And watch your 4mpg plummet to 2mpg you mean? :laughing: Btw, on a serious note, did you see my reply re your mpg issue on the other thread? :confused:

Im gonna try that light thing john boy it might make the old muck motors more desirable to prospective customers! dont suppose it will hurt the mpg the way my nutters drive em! :laughing:

Rob K:

having the lights makes it a lot easier when im doging to atract atention

Rob K:

fly sheet:

Rob K:

And watch your 4mpg plummet to 2mpg you mean? :laughing: Btw, on a serious note, did you see my reply re your mpg issue on the other thread? :confused:

7.87mpg last week Rob which is fairly good going for my right boot, not seen tother thread I’ll take a gander.