Split daily rest....... Confirmation

can someone confirm split daily rest ■■

you have got it wrong im afraid, but that aside you cant do a split daily rest anymore.

From VOSA booklet

Split daily rest period: A regular rest taken in two separate periods — the first at least 3 hours,
and the second at least 9 hours.

JON LAD:
can someone confirm if this is correct, reference to split daily rest.
We attended a course recently, and i wish to confirm something.

After driving up to your daily limit i.e 4.5 hours driving 45 min break 4.5 hours driving … Once you have then had 3 solid further hours rest ( 1st part of daily split rest you can then begin driving again ■■? … tagging the other 6 hours split daily rest on the end of a further shift ■■?

Or have i mis understood the Ex vosa / traffic police guy instructing
the course ■■?

Mis-understood matey.

4.5 hours driving 45 min break 4.5 hours driving 45 min break 1 hour driving but usually only allowed 3 times a week. oops :blush: :blush: - THAT SHOULD BE TWICE :blush: :blush:

Split daily rest - where it is not counted as a reduced daily rest - is 3 complete hours followed later by 9 complete hours within the 24 hour period which started from when you started your shift.

There - I think I said that right - we shall see…

dave:
you have got it wrong im afraid, but that aside you cant do a split daily rest anymore.

SURE :question: :question: :wink:

Split daily rest - where it is not counted as a reduced daily rest - is 3 complete hours followed later by 9 complete hours within the 24 hour period which started from when you started your shift.

you can have 3 hours rest then drive for another hour then that is your lot (or you can have 45mins break then drive for another hour) but there is no way you can start your next shift after just 3 hours rest!

you need to have completed at least 9 hours rest WITHIN 24 hours of the commencement of your days duty (that is if you havent used up all your 9 hours rest for that working week, if you have you need to take 11 hours rest)

i hope this helps

ROG:

dave:

i thought i was sure rog, thought they had done away with it, but you live and learn. :wink:

but this is wrong though

4.5 hours driving 45 min break 4.5 hours driving 45 min break 1 hour driving but usually only allowed 3 times a week

you can only do two 10 hr drives.

it is only twice you can drive for 10 hours.

its 3 times you can reduce your daily rest between weekly rests periods.

Yeah i understand about the daily rest e t c it was the way this guy (not sure of his name) was telling us … all i remember is the "You can start a new shift after 3 solid hours rest " … and the reference to split daily rest !!

I dont do long hours so i have not had to even use the extra hour if needed 2 twice a week

Let me see if we can get this right;

Within 24 hours of ending the previous daily (or weekly rest period,) a driver must have completed a new daily rest period.

Daily rest comes in two sizes;
a) a Regular daily rest; at least 11 hours.
b) a reduced daily rest; less than 11 but at least 9 hours.

A Regular daily rest may be taken in two chunks;

• the first must be at least 3 hours
  • the second must be at least 9 hours
    rest taken in this way may also be used to count as a ‘break’ from driving (under the old rules and AETR journeys it cannot be used as a break from driving).
    Note that this ‘split’ daily rest period now totals 12 hours and is NOT counted as a reduced daily rest.

You may take no more than three reduced daily rests between successive weekly rest periods.

You may extend your daily driving period over nine hours, but not exceeding 10 hours not more than twice per week.

an example;

start work 06:00 Monday
drive for 2:00 hours
break for 15 minutes
drive for 2 hours 30 minutes
rest for 3 hours
drive for 4 hours 30 minutes
break for 45 minutes
drive for 1:00 hour
work for 1:00 hour

By my maths you have now reached 21:00 hrs, so will have to start your remaining period of 9:00 hours daily rest to ensure that you have completed the period by 06:00 hrs Tuesday morning.

There are more example of this than you can shake a stick at, but they will all follow the same basic pattern.

Suggest that if all you can remember this trainer saying is that after 3 hours rest etc…then I would humbly suggest that is just as well he is no longer VOSA / Police and it wouldn’t be a bad idea if he gave up training as well :smiley:

geebee45:
Let me see if we can get this right;

If you can’t - nobody can :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

geebee45:
Suggest that if all you can remember this trainer saying is that after 3 hours rest etc…then I would humbly suggest that is just as well he is no longer VOSA / Police and it wouldn’t be a bad idea if he gave up training as well :smiley:

I was waiting for someone suitably more qualified than me in this area to say that :exclamation: :slight_smile:

but if he was vosa/police just imagine the overtime you get in when he was around!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dave:

ROG:

dave:

i thought i was sure rog, thought they had done away with it, but you live and learn. :wink:

but this is wrong though

4.5 hours driving 45 min break 4.5 hours driving 45 min break 1 hour driving but usually only allowed 3 times a week

It was the 16 hour day split rest they did away with, you can still do a 15 hour day split rest.

Semtex:

dave:

ROG:

dave:

but this is wrong though

It was the 16 hour day split rest they did away with, you can still do a 15 hour day split rest.

thats the one. :wink:

dave:

Semtex:

dave:

ROG:

dave:

but this is wrong though

thats the one. :wink:

So, on the split daily rest, we were both right - just referring to different ones :laughing:

And yes, I got confused about the 2 and 3 day thing :blush: :blush:

reading all this seems to tell you why this trainer…ex vosa/police…is ex vosa/police. probably couldn’t afford his overtime. :laughing: :laughing:

what about this then.
i’ve recently joined a big uk haulier on containers, and we were told at the induction, that, you can do 2 15’s a week anyway, and if, on the other 3 days, (on a monday too friday week) you get your 3 hours continuos rest in on each relevant day as well, whilst at work, you could then technically do 5 shifts of 15 hours.
couldn’t get my head round it at 1st, but they are too big a company, too even consider running illegally. everything has too be 100% legit.
so i’m guessing the 5 15’s, is ok.
provided, your all ok on driving time, brek, poa etc.

I think it’s about time someone simplified all this. (Not me though, I’m about as confused / fed-up with all this as I’ve ever been)

A lot of drivers don’t even know when they are breaking the rules.

The FTA (who analyse all our charts/cards) just published our ‘bad lads list’ and every single driver has had at least five infringements a month, some a hell of a lot more. When questioned, a lot of them didn’t even know that what they did was an infringement.

I’m agency on long term contract, so I don’t get a print, but I’d imagine mine wouldn’t be any better.

I think the only thing stopping us getting more infringements is that we only drive for about 30% of each shift.

The only purpose this wtd thing has served is to make drivers hard up. I’m no better off now than when I was a shelf-stacker at 17 years old, simply because my (average) weekly working time is capped at a rediculously low 48 hours.

Rant over…
(Needed that off my chest ever since I started driving commercially)

I’m glad i’m not alone with the gobbledegook .

I’m sure they could of made the whole thing simple.

If hardly anyone can understand this over complicated nonesense,then no wonder drivers get nicked. Then you have some bod from VOSA who doesn’t understand it either.

chilistrucker:
what about this then.
i’ve recently joined a big uk haulier on containers, and we were told at the induction, that, you can do 2 15’s a week anyway, and if, on the other 3 days, (on a monday too friday week) you get your 3 hours continuos rest in on each relevant day as well, whilst at work, you could then technically do 5 shifts of 15 hours.
couldn’t get my head round it at 1st, but they are too big a company, too even consider running illegally. everything has too be 100% legit.
so i’m guessing the 5 15’s, is ok.
provided, your all ok on driving time, brek, poa etc.

What you’ve been told is almost correct :wink:

You can reduce the daily rest to no less than 9 hours no more than 3 times between weekly rest periods.

If within 24 hours from the start of the shift you have a 3 hour rest followed by a nine hour rest after the shift, it’s a split daily rest and because the last part of the split rest is nine hours you can do a spread-over of 15 hours within the 24 hours from the start of the shift, so if you’re having split daily rest periods then there’s no reason why you couldn’t do 15 hour spread-overs every day.