Speeding on the A14

Just wondering if anyone out there has been done for speeding or knows anyone who has on the A14. Dont use the road as much now but when I did no truck drivers stuck to the speed limit of 50mph including myself. A couple of drivers told me that the cops wouldnt touch you for being on your limiter, but i bet there are some out there that would.

i drive down that way atleast 5-6 times a week and always on my limiter of 52, but i’ve drove trucks down there at 54 and 55 at limiters and never been bothered and always getting over took by other trucks. police i see atleast once every trip down there and they just drive past

THIS may help

average speed like it says at 56 will return 50mph average.

There is a section on the A14 with average cameras along it. I always drive through on the limiter, as far as I know the cameras will dedect an average speed over the national limit. I don’t think they distinguish between different types of vehicle.

they can reconise the difference as it is a digital video recorded image that gets taken and stored if speeding it takes a picture before and after like a normal speed camera and reg and vehicle is shown. if no offence commited it is ignored.

speedcheck.co.uk/index.htm

ST3:

So, let me get this right. If I drive for one hour and maintain my speed (not a mile per hour more, not one less) at 56mph, I have only done an average of 50mph.

Is that what you are saying :question:

Saxon786:

ST3:

So, let me get this right. If I drive for one hour and maintain my speed (not a mile per hour more, not one less) at 56mph, I have only done an average of 50mph.

It’s all down to the curvature of the earth :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

TC

yup according to that speed site lol

i dont get it my self but hey it aint flashed me or issued me with any speeding fines so it must work

Saxon786:

ST3:

Saxon, you beat me to it, although you managed to get the point across in a far more pleasant way than I would have done !! :laughing: :open_mouth:

Beaker1976:
There is a section on the A14 with average cameras along it. I always drive through on the limiter, as far as I know the cameras will dedect an average speed over the national limit. I don’t think they distinguish between different types of vehicle.

Are you for real? I seriously hope you get a ticket for your stupidity.

Why stupid? Do you always stick to 50mph on a dual A road? The limit there is national it has no reduction posted. When I drive through the section marked 50, I do 50

Forgot something - My Scania is limited to 53 meaning I am actually only 3 mph over the 50 limit for trucks. Lorries pass me all the time going down there. Has anyone actually got a ticket on the A14? I would be interested to know

thats what i wanted to know

Beaker1976:
Why stupid? Do you always stick to 50mph on a dual A road? The limit there is national it has no reduction posted. When I drive through the section marked 50, I do 50

The stupid part is that you know there are cameras there but continue to speed past them over the speed limit because - according to what you’ve heard - no-one’s ever been caught by them so that makes it alright. This is just plain idiocy and you deserve to get a ticket for it!!

It’s like all these that fly up and down the non (M) parts of the A1 on the limiter. I really hope that one day the GATSO team comes along and sets them to trigger at bang on 50mph and also include the induction loop in the road so that they can tell the difference between the HGVs and normal traffic. They’d make an absolute mint off you numpties for weeks as you continue to steam past them on the limiter, completely oblivious. :slight_smile:

And before you jump on your soap box, I’m not anti-speeding. I drive at 85-90 in my own car on motorways. The point is that anyone with even an ounce of sense would not drive past any type of speed camera at more than the speed limit for the class of vehicle they are driving. If you do, then you deserve to get a ticket and a fine - not for speeding, but for your stupidity !! :unamused:

Edit: And no, you are now allowed 10% leniency. That is a long standing driver urban myth. It is entirely at the discretion of the police and there are plenty of cases where people have received points and fines for 42mph in a 40mph limit so don’t even bother trying to tell me that you won’t ever get caught at 53, 54, 55, 56mph in a 50mph limit because it’s bollox :unamused: .

feel better now? lol

rob k is right about the 10% thingy.but a few police may not bother to stop you if you are on your limiter but then it does depend what mood he/she is in for that day…I got stopped on way to a tyre job not long ago on the A14 in my sprinter doing 79.9mph…got away with it luckily as i should only have been doing 60mph…oh yeah the police do target vans as well as lorrys on the a14 as drivers sometimes dont know what the speed limit is for there vehicles…

SPECS cameras are set at 5mph above the speed limit, not out of leniency but out of practicalities. If caught doing 52mph some would then argue camera maybe wasn’t calibrated correctly. Same with GATSO’s in a 30mph limit the camera will be set to trigger at least 35mph, if the camera is a dummy then supposedly some are set to trigger at 32mph or 30mph.

ive gone through the SPECS cameras on the A77 in the car doing 75mph and never been done for it. Not that it makes a difference speed wise, but the SPECS camera section ends up with loads of cars all bunched together and typical of car drivers sitting right up each others arses. Rather go a bit faster somtimes and get away from that.

I don’t think SPECS cameras can tell the difference between different types of vehicle, it just reads number plates. A guy at my work was driving a van through the SPECS cameras at 72mph every day he didnt realise the speed limit for vans was 60mph and nothing ever happend about that. Plus going down the A77 see same trucks everyday doing 56mph along the single carriageway sections, UK registared and prob same driver he would be banned by now if they could tell the difference.

Police guidelines advise 10% over the limit for prosecution but then again tell that to the guy caught on the A74(m) at Johnstonbridge doing 74mph and ending up in court over the totting up of points and then banned from driving.

I doubt many police will do people for doing 42mph in a 40mph limit, but then again maybe they have stoped someone for somthing else, like a light out or driving irratically then they have been cheeky to the police.

Kenny1975:
SPECS cameras are set at 5mph above the speed limit, not out of leniency but out of practicalities. If caught doing 52mph some would then argue camera maybe wasn’t calibrated correctly. Same with GATSO’s in a 30mph limit the camera will be set to trigger at least 35mph, if the camera is a dummy then supposedly some are set to trigger at 32mph or 30mph.

ive gone through the SPECS cameras on the A77 in the car doing 75mph and never been done for it. Not that it makes a difference speed wise, but the SPECS camera section ends up with loads of cars all bunched together and typical of car drivers sitting right up each others arses. Rather go a bit faster somtimes and get away from that.

I don’t think SPECS cameras can tell the difference between different types of vehicle, it just reads number plates. A guy at my work was driving a van through the SPECS cameras at 72mph every day he didnt realise the speed limit for vans was 60mph and nothing ever happend about that. Plus going down the A77 see same trucks everyday doing 56mph along the single carriageway sections, UK registared and prob same driver he would be banned by now if they could tell the difference.

Police guidelines advise 10% over the limit for prosecution but then again tell that to the guy caught on the A74(m) at Johnstonbridge doing 74mph and ending up in court over the totting up of points and then banned from driving.

I doubt many police will do people for doing 42mph in a 40mph limit, but then again maybe they have stoped someone for somthing else, like a light out or driving irratically then they have been cheeky to the police.

Kenny please provide a link to an official site such as a police or government one to back up your claims above. Until you can do that, everything you say is nothing more than your opinion and as far as I can recall, saying “Kenny1975 said it okay” didn’t wash very well with the courts and police.

:unamused:

I agree that there is no leniency set out in law, you could be done for any speed above the limit i.e 51 in a 50. The bit i’m not sure of is how they process the SPECS data. They measure a vehicle between two points and work out it’s average speed. I think that the speed is 70 on the A14.
My question is can the cameras detect 50 for a truck, 70 for a car etc.? or does it just treat every plate it reads as the same limit?

Surely there would be too many images for someone to do it manually? If they do distinguish I will certainly lower my speed by 3 mph to 50, nobody wants to get nicked, it’s my living on the line. I always follow the 40 rule on single roads though, but if I didn’t would the camera assume I was a car as far as the limit goes?

ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm

Best info I can find at the minute, but will continue looking.