speed limiters

On the motorway when I’m doing 55 -56 on the limit, sometimes a truck will creep past or sometimes I’ll creep past another. But occasionally a truck will come past like I’m stationary, how come? Theyve obviously altered something…

The one that flies past will have pulled the fuse or have magnets on.

or have the trick to fool the speedo into thinking its doing 56 when its infact doing more

Some people on here constantly bang the drum about calibration etc, different tread depth etc which is prob true to some extent. But on motor way I been doing “56” yet some UK haulier including well know ones fly past on the straight like I’m parked up. And there no way in hell they are doing 56! Closer to 60 the legal limit. These national hauliers obviously routinely change tyres on drive axle before calibration then change them back! Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

gogzy:
or have the trick to fool the speedo into thinking its doing 56 when its infact doing more

We had one like that where I used to work. Only a small cabbed DAF and one of the eldest we had (03!) but did it ever fly. The speedo and tacho where both in agreement at 56/90 but I swear it was more like 59-60. I spent more time in the lane 2 than lane one, I even got a few Paddy scalps.
It was a sad day when they retired that truck and sent it back to Salford Van Hire. All of our others were space cab CF’s and a few XF’s but us drivers used to scrabble for it and no-one else could understand why.
There was something very satisfying in overtaking every other truck on the Motorway.

Volvos always come home doing 57-58 for some reason. Ups used to have some ivecos that flew. Best I had was my 02 on coltons. That did 64 :smiley:

I drive an ex salfold hire cf and it reads 55 on the clock but 57/58 on the naff satt, flies past most .

i’ve got an 03 plated 470 topliner and mine shows 90 km allday long, there ain’t many that will get past it, see’s off nolans no problems, had one or 2 that can out run it but they are very few. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

best i had was a w reg 17 ton merc atego, did 62mph. spent most of its time in lane 2 lol

Had an X reg Daf CF when I first passed my C+E that had no limiter and no cruise control, so used to try and hold IRO 57mph, but sometimes wouldn’t :wink:

Had a car cut in once, so I gave it a bit of main beam - this was on nights btw, empty motorway etc - so he gives me the middle finger, was ■■■■■■■■ himself when I was still behind him at 85mph on the sat nav :smiling_imp:

Another time, decided to see what it’d do, was doing around 80mph on the sat nav, brother in law in the passenger seat and I said to him “we’re about to be overtaken…” he looks through drivers window as a foreign Scania sails past, must’ve been clocking 100+mph, went from being behind me to being clear enough to be flashed in :unamused: in about 30 seconds max.

when im on the limit, very few get past me only says 55 on speedo. in last 30 hours only 1 has and that was a irish motor :unamused: :unamused:

Gone are the days when the limiter was your right foot only :frowning:

Limiters are a way of life now and to many on here they have never known an un-fettered truck :slight_smile:

waynedl:
Had a car cut in once, so I gave it a bit of main beam - this was on nights btw, empty motorway etc - so he gives me the middle finger, was [zb] himself when I was still behind him at 85mph on the sat nav :smiling_imp:

Having seen this film en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_(1971_film I’d have been ■■■■■■■■ myself too!

Only a small cabbed DAF and one of the eldest we had (03!) but did it ever fly. The speedo and tacho where both in agreement at 56/90 but I swear it was more like 59-60.

many older drivers will have had a quiet smile at this, remember when a truck wasn’t a flyer untill it topped 80 ?

The days of the FL10 when you used to half turn the key and disable the limiter.

The only flyer I’ve seen lately (and have already posted on here) was an Irish reg’d 4x2 Scania (500 V8 Topline), was clearing 65 at least…

I was shown who was boss by an old foden grab lorry doing 70-75 going up a hill in an old 60bhp astra flew by me like i was parked up i was baffled for weeks after still am.

Dont give me to much stick but i well remember a spot of truck racing on the M4 many moons ago way back before limiters. Me and a mate both in ERF EC11’s, both owned by a well known brewery in the area of Reading :wink: . Units only doing about 75 (ish) :laughing: My ole man used to own an old Bedford TL 7.5 with a Luton body. that would do 80 odd down hill no problem. :sunglasses:
The 6x4 Axor I have now seems fairly good for limiter setting, very rarely anything comes past me until i get to a hill :laughing:

del949:

Only a small cabbed DAF and one of the eldest we had (03!) but did it ever fly. The speedo and tacho where both in agreement at 56/90 but I swear it was more like 59-60.

many older drivers will have had a quiet smile at this, remember when a truck wasn’t a flyer untill it topped 80 ?

Smiling wryly to myself as I write this. :smiley:

Am I really ‘older’ at 35?! :open_mouth: Eeeek!

there will be a lot of (drivers) who have never driven at 65 -70mph loaded at 38 tonnes but in older days we didnt have 500-600 bhp so you needed a bit of momentum to keep you going, but you never fell asleep or got bored cruising at 65 not like todays trucks at 52-56 mph people forget the limit for a truck on m-ways is still 60 mph as long as your truck is pre 87 i think then no limiter required

just be out in a 1983 tractor unit 320 big cam with a trailer on and loaded and remembered what it is like to drive at 60-65-70 opps!!!

Quite. 450 Is plenty, so what if you get passed on a hill? The toby with the XXXBHP stickers and the spotlights is going to be pulling in for a “nice 45 min break, drive” while you’re making your way to the drivers lounge… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: