Speed limiters.

In accordance to the EU they state that trucks must be limited to 56mph 90km. Now since brexit does this mean the UK will
Still have to comply with this limit or can It be upped to 60mph which is the legal speed limit for trucks in the uk. Just was wondering about it today cheers

Brexit hasn’t happened yet, if/when it does then the government have said that they will gradually go through all the EU laws we have adopted and change them if it’s deemed necessary. This won’t happen overnight, it will take years.
I would imagine that truck speed limiters are going to be a very low priority on their list of EU laws to look at, and looked at logically I can’t see any politician being willing to put their name to increasing the speed limiters from 56 to 60 mph, you and I know it makes bugger all difference in reality, but can you imagine the scare headlines the first time a truck running at 60mph has an accident?
Think along the lines of ‘thundering speeding juggernaut’ etc.
It would be political suicide.

Tgtrucker:
Brexit hasn’t happened yet, if/when it does then the government have said that they will gradually go through all the EU laws we have adopted and change them if it’s deemed necessary. This won’t happen overnight, it will take years.
I would imagine that truck speed limiters are going to be a very low priority on their list of EU laws to look at, and looked at logically I can’t see any politician being willing to put their name to increasing the speed limiters from 56 to 60 mph, you and I know it makes bugger all difference in reality, but can you imagine the scare headlines the first time a truck running at 60mph has an accident?
Think along the lines of ‘thundering speeding juggernaut’ etc.
It would be political suicide.

They didn’t have a problem changing single carriageways from 40 to 50

The more interesting question here will be whether or not we will be implementing the all new EU tachograph rules that are to be introduced on all new vehicles by 2019 - tachos that will not only record more vehicle data but will broadcast this information to any nearby police or dvsa - for instance if you are over on an axle, or you have missed a break or your road speed does not match your gps speed then head unit will be broadcasting this to the police.

Dont think the Government will be making any changes in regards to speed limiters. Manufactures will comply with EU regs they wont alter just to please the UK

Bluey Circles:
The more interesting question here will be whether or not we will be implementing the all new EU tachograph rules that are to be introduced on all new vehicles by 2019 - tachos that will not only record more vehicle data but will broadcast this information to any nearby police or dvsa - for instance if you are over on an axle, or you have missed a break or your road speed does not match your gps speed then head unit will be broadcasting this to the police.

Thats all news to me. Cant say Im surprised tho. Bound to come sooner or later. How many will be posting about how its good to get rid of unfair competition from those running bent, and from those talking about Big Brother and our freedom from spies, and hence our freedom to be exploited and do more work for less money?

I guess the environmental agenda will stop speed limits rise.
Regarding the move from 40 to 50, this has defiantly increased the road safety, as less idiots are trying to overtake you on impossible roads.

I guess regarding the tacho’s, it would be very expensive to build a few different tacho’s just for the UK market, so manufacturers will follow the biggest market.

I think not much will change on transport regulations when Brexit eventually (if ever) happens.

acceptme:
In accordance to the EU they state that trucks must be limited to 56mph 90km. Now since brexit does this mean the UK will
Still have to comply with this limit or can It be upped to 60mph which is the legal speed limit for trucks in the uk. Just was wondering about it today cheers

I was thinking the same the other day. Seems stupid to tell you you can legally do 60mph when all the trucks are limited to 56mph :laughing: It`ll take them a month of Sundays to do owt about it though.

There are plenty drivers who keep the recovery firms busy by driving at 56.

60 mph will without doubt make them busier.

Franglais:

Bluey Circles:

Thats all news to me. Cant say Im surprised tho. Bound to come sooner or later. How many will be posting about how its good to get rid of unfair competition from those running bent, and from those talking about Big Brother and our freedom from spies, and hence our freedom to be exploited and do more work for less money?

It is surprisingly getting little coverage,

The changes seem to be immense and as far as I can tell it is a done deal and was all signed off by Junker himself in March this year, it would appear from the very complex very difficult to understand documentation that the ‘Smart Tacho’ will start to be fitted in 2017 and be mandatory by March 2019. I really can’t work out if they have to be retrofitted or not.

As per all EU crap, the legislation is badly worded and difficult or even impossible for mere mortals to understand. Here it is in its full 506 pages if anyone wishes to study it
eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ … 99&from=EN

It does appear though that police DVSA etc will be able to interrogate the head unit remotely and as such allow them to more easily target law breakers
It does appear that many sensors will need dual inputs, for instance speed sensors from both wheels and GPS - so that is the end of having a ‘fast one’
Axle weights to be recorded, a worry for multi drop.

Hopefully it will be policed sympathetically and targeted at the cow boys, but the worry will always be over pedantic policing using it as an easy means of hitting targets.

For domestic use, there will be no retro-fit. For international We have 15 years to fit them.

The first generation digital tachograph system has been deployed since 1 May 2006. It may be used until its end of life
for domestic transportation. For international transportation, instead, 15 years after the entry into force of this
Commission Regulation, all vehicles shall be equipped with a compliant second generation smart tachograph, introduced
by this Regulation.

It’s doubtful if May will implement Brexit and even if she does whether it’ll be the type of Brexit that would release us from EU regs.Given the best case scenario of non EEA member state,in which all EU regulations become unenforceable over the national speed limit,there’s arguably no reason why any operator couldn’t at least then unilaterally then increase the limiter setting to 60 mph if not ditch the thing altogether.In which case it’s difficult to see which law the government could then rely on to enforce the 90 kmh setting.

Speed limiter set to 90k or 56mph. Legal maximum 60mph would give a bit of leeway for “eco-roll” etc. Why not? Yeah, always someone wanting to run at the max all the time, but, such is life.
Also would allow a heavy truck to over-take a lighter one going down a slope, so giving the driver of the lighter truck summat to do on the next up slope. :slight_smile:

Will they make local authorities use Tachos any one

oneillmartin:

do local authorities not use Tachos ? they do in Scotland (i think)

Franglais:
Speed limiter set to 90k or 56mph. Legal maximum 60mph would give a bit of leeway for “eco-roll” etc. Why not? Yeah, always someone wanting to run at the max all the time, but, such is life.
Also would allow a heavy truck to over-take a lighter one going down a slope, so giving the driver of the lighter truck summat to do on the next up slope. :slight_smile:

60 mph running would be more along the lines of reducing the issue of elephant racing caused by those running at 80-85 kmh v those currently limited to 90 kmh on the flat.

oneillmartin:

Why would anyone already subject to domestic regs not continue to be ?. :confused:

Carryfast:

Franglais:

60 mph running would be more along the lines of reducing the issue of elephant racing caused by those running at 80-85 kmh v those currently limited to 90 kmh on the flat.

85 v 90 k is not a elephant race ,its a wiz past .

Punchy Dan:
85 v 90 k is not a elephant race ,its a wiz past .

:open_mouth: A 5 kmh speed differential is an elephant race.80-85 kmh v 60 preferably 65 mph is a relative whizz past. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

.whats with the editing ,I didn’t write that bit .