Speed limit up to 60

I’ve been out and had a couple of pints tonight ,and a retired driver informs me limiters are going up to 60 mph ,I didn’t argue but does he mean the 40 is going up to 50 on normal roads instead ?

He is confused, some limits being raised to 60 but no change in speed limiter so still 56.

gov.uk/speed-limits

You are legally allowed to do 60mph on the motorway in the uk it’s the companies that limit the trucks to 56mph.

taffytrucker:
Speed limits - GOV.UK

You are legally allowed to do 60mph on the motorway in the uk it’s the companies that limit the trucks to 56mph.

It’s an EU Directive that limits us to 90km/h. If companies could run at 60mph they would.

Except for supermarkets obviously.

taffytrucker:
Speed limits - GOV.UK

Now taffytrucker you aint in Canada now… its dept of transport that limited trucks to 56mph and limited trucks are supposed to run at “56”, other than if there are still any out there without them fitted. can go a bit on overrun but don’t think that goes from south wales to ravenscraig…

Guess the government website is wrong then

There’s something in Commercial Motor (page 4 of current issue) claiming that from 2015 single carriageways are being raised to 50mph for HGVs, and at the same time dual carriageways are being raised to 60mph. You might want to check this for yourself, but I’m sure I read it correctly.

ezydriver:
There’s something in Commercial Motor (page 4 of current issue) claiming that from 2015 single carriageways are being raised to 50mph for HGVs, and at the same time dual carriageways are being raised to 60mph. You might want to check this for yourself, but I’m sure I read it correctly.

Yes correct! :sunglasses: on the first bit! :laughing: consultation on the second bit 60mph on a dual carriageway :wink: but if cars are going to 80 mph, are we to get to 70 mph on a motorway? :grimacing: I think we should have a free for all anyway :smiley:

speed limit is 60mph on the motorway, but you can also be knicked for doing 60mph because you should be limited to 56mph, and if you are doing 60mph and your limited to 56mph you can be done for not being in control of your truck because its on over run :unamused:

Probably being done to give the police even less work to do! Not that truck speed limits are really policed anyway.

burnley-si:
speed limit is 60mph on the motorway, but you can also be knicked for doing 60mph because you should be limited to 56mph, and if you are doing 60mph and your limited to 56mph you can be done for not being in control of your truck because its on over run :unamused:

Really.

taffytrucker:
Guess the government website is wrong then

No, the HGV speed limit is 60mph on motorways. EU law however stipulates that HGVs must be limited to 90km/h.

There were calls to align the speed limit with the limiter limit but the DfT decided against it.

The legal speed limit for LGV, in the UK, on a Motorway is 60 MPH.

The EU directive states that LGV “may not be powered beyond 90 KPH”

Having read all the above comments, I am so glad that we have all done the Dcpc. :unamused: :unamused:

weeto:

burnley-si:

Really.

Where does this stuff come from? Every time you release the throttle pedal you’re on over run!

AF1:

weeto:

burnley-si:

Really.

Where does this stuff come from? Every time you release the throttle pedal you’re on over run!

DCPC of course :sunglasses:

SWEDISH BLUE:

Having read all the above comments, I am so glad that we have all done the Dcpc. :unamused: :unamused:

+1

burnley-si:

HMMNN - 1st bit is correct: Legal speed limit for vehicles exceeding 7.5 tonnes on UK motorways IS 60 mph…regardless of how it’s achieved (or not achieved!!!). If you are unsure of this check the Highway Code, be quick though…because it will shortly need updating:

The current speed limit for same vehicles on a dual carriageway is 50 mph but is currently ‘under consultation’ to be lifted to 60 mph (same rules as motorways). I think (IMHO) it will be passed & become law in early 2015.

The 40 mph limit on single carriageways for LGV’s IS to be lifted to 50 mph come 2015.

I think the overspeed setting at +1km/h is ridiculous, especially on modern auto vehicles with eco roll. On the Actros you can set the engine brake to engage at a minimum of +2km/h. The Eco Roll will only work at a minimum of +4km/h. Both are useless if you’re running at 90km/h.

I think we should be allowed +5km/h. This is still within our 60mph limit. Doubt Brussels would allow it though :unamused:

weeto:

burnley-si:

Really.

I let it run to 100kms down hill with the police (unknowingly) sat at the bottom or behind me and never had any bother, the limit is 60 and i would happily have my day in court if some copper tried to do me for it, and i.m still on anologue so no “overspeed” warnings to annoy me

SWEDISH BLUE:

Why so glad you got DCPC?? Because couple people got who regulated the speed of trucks?? Does that make you a better driver? The comment is still right the limit for trucks on uk motorways is 60mph