Speed limit up to 60

What’s the point of raising a speed limit for HGV from 50 to 60 if you’re limited to 56 anyway! You might aswell bang it up to 80 or 90 as we can’t get near it anyway. And does anyone, other than supermarket trucks, do 40 on a single track anyway?

BillyHunt:
What’s the point of raising a speed limit for HGV from 50 to 60 if you’re limited to 56 anyway! You might aswell bang it up to 80 or 90 as we can’t get near it anyway. And does anyone, other than supermarket trucks, do 40 on a single track anyway?

Wait for the shooting down to come for saying that more or less only supermarkets do 40mph on single carriageways :laughing: :laughing:

BillyHunt:

I’ve seen plenty doing 40, not just supermarkets. Generally supermarket is more relaxed work no chasing. Why go over the speed limit? And looking at some of the pay rates on here for general it’s a lot better paid as well!

BillyHunt:

The Supermarket trucks and others are doing 40mph because that is the limit for those roads, the supermarkets, always concerned about their public profile have the fact splashed across the back of their trucks.
So when the law is changed they will be able to increase their speed.

Going onto other posts I’ve never known anybody being done for going a bit faster than 56mph downhill on a motorway.
The law on limiters states they must limit the vehicle to a set speed in stabilized conditions, that is pretty much level road.

So as the UK motorway speed limit for HGV is 60mph, provided you are not exceeding it, and the speed limiter is functioning, I don’t see how any laws could have been broken, unless there were other circumstances.

if I remember correctly it was Malcolm rifkind who introduced the speed limiter,what really got me was what he said at the time he said and I quote,PEOPLE DONT REALISE JUST HOW MUCH DAMAGE THESE VEHICLES DO [hgvs]unquote

muckles:
The Supermarket trucks and others are doing 40mph because that is the limit for those roads, the supermarkets, always concerned about their public profile have the fact splashed across the back of their trucks.

They’ll have to put all their drivers through training how to handle 50mph on a A road without getting a nose bleed.
All supermarkets care about is maximum profits. Advertising speed limits on the back of the truck is just to save face.
If it was in their best interests to get goods delivered quickly they would soon be upping the pace.

ajt:

muckles:

They’ll have to put all their drivers through training how to handle 50mph on a A road without getting a nose bleed.
All supermarkets care about is maximum profits. And to maximise that they try and promote a good image to the public, hence, because bad publicity affect profits, EG Horse meat in Burgers. advertising speed limits on the back of the truck is just to save face.

If it was in their best interests to get goods delivered quickly they would soon be upping the pace.
So as soon as they can legally they’ll be moving faster then won’t they?

BillyHunt:

Its called Decrimanisation.

Daz1970:

burnley-si:
speed limit is 60mph on the motorway, but you can also be knicked for doing 60mph because you should be limited to 56mph, and if you are doing 60mph and your limited to 56mph you can be done for not being in control of your truck because its on over run :unamused:

HMMNN - 1st bit is correct: Legal speed limit for vehicles exceeding 7.5 tonnes on UK motorways IS 60 mph…regardless of how it’s achieved (or not achieved!!!). If you are unsure of this check the Highway Code, be quick though…because it will shortly need updating:

Was told the same as Burnley at the DCPC course, If the vehicle is limited to a certain speed, such as 50 mph, and you’re doing 55, you can still be done for speeding as you’re exceeding the speed the vehicle is limited to… Again just what I was told at DCPC course

G6Bob:
Was told the same as Burnley at the DCPC course, If the vehicle is limited to a certain speed, such as 50 mph, and you’re doing 55, you can still be done for speeding as you’re exceeding the speed the vehicle is limited to… Again just what I was told at DCPC course

I was also told the same thing on a dcpc course, as well as having to stop every 4.5 hours for a 45 regardless of the amount of time driven…

Was told on a DCPC Course so it’s gotta be true from what I’ve seen about them

muckles:

ajt:

muckles:

All supermarkets care about is maximum profits. And to maximise that they try and promote a good image to the public, hence, because bad publicity affect profits, EG Horse meat in Burgers. advertising speed limits on the back of the truck is just to save face.

Your the first person iv ever known to brown nose supermarkets :open_mouth:

ajt:

muckles:

ajt:

muckles:

Your the first person iv ever known to brown nose supermarkets :open_mouth:

Can’t really see how those statements equal brown nosing supermarkets?
Its just a simple statement of fact, Supermarkets worry about their image, they spend millions on it, because a poor image will affect profits.

If they were so bothered about their image on the roads why is it that subbies pulling their trailers don’t have to follow the same strict principles ?

burnley-si:
speed limit is 60mph on the motorway, but you can also be knicked for doing 60mph because you should be limited to 56mph, and if you are doing 60mph and your limited to 56mph you can be done for not being in control of your truck because its on over run :unamused:

wrong if ur truck goes over 56 due to gravity ( i.e. heavy load down hill ) and it is still in gear then u r still in control.

Frazer smith:

burnley-si:

wrong if ur truck goes over 56 due to gravity ( i.e. heavy load down hill ) and it is still in gear then u r still in control.

Correct. Otherwise every approach to junction etc we’d be guilty of “coasting”.

There was a case a few years ago when the police tried to prosecute a HGV driver for travelling at 60 mph on the M1 for a sustained period. It was on the M1 s/b passing Coalville and he was fully freighted. The case was dismissed when the drivers brief stood up in court and quoted the regs stating that any vehicle falling under the scope of the speed limiter regulations must not be capable of being POWERED to a speed in excess of 90kph, and clearly in this case it was not being powered but was letting gravity do the work.

Frazer smith:

burnley-si:

What about Eco roll?

if they do lift it the tacho centers will be busy doing re/cals,keith

keith 2:

Why?

Seany:

keith 2:

Why?

I am sure they would need to get them up from 90k