Speed cameras anyone know what type these are?

Hi folks

I have just been reading an article on speed cameras and in the article it gave various pictures of cameras in play today on the UK roads.

My question is on trhe A66 at various stages are cameras they are the blue type on a blue pole that face forwards and backwards by that I mean there is a camera at the front and one facing the other way.

Do these cameras flash ? because everyone just seems to ignore them having said that I am talking about trucks ignore them so they are probably set at Speeding levels for cars.

I can not find a picture of these anywhere on the net and wondered if anyone knew what they are called ?

They’re traffic density measuring sensors for companies like Traffic Master. You see them hanging off all motorway bridges too.

Rob K:
They’re traffic density measuring sensors for companies like Traffic Master. You see them hanging off all motorway bridges too.

Are you sure Rob ? not being funny mate just don’t know

Are they not speed cameras?

Rob is correct they are indeed traffic density sensors .

IIRC they actually have a small sign on them telling you that they are not speed cameras and are only measuring the traffic.

thecoder0:

Rob K:

Are you sure Rob ? not being funny mate just don’t know

Are they not speed cameras?

:unamused: No, you’re right they are speed cameras.

If you mean the bit of the 66 between the M6 and A1 AFAIk there are NO cameras on that stretch.

As for the Blue cameras its all explained here.

ukspeedtraps.co.uk/traffic.htm

i wouldnt be worrying about whats above you i would be more worried about whats below me these days :frowning::(.

ukspeedtraps.co.uk/cateye.htm

jammymutt:
If you mean the bit of the 66 between the M6 and A1 AFAIk there are NO cameras on that stretch.

As for the Blue cameras its all explained here.

ukspeedtraps.co.uk/traffic.htm

i wouldnt be worrying about whats above you i would be more worried about whats below me these days :frowning::(.

ukspeedtraps.co.uk/cateye.htm

Yes thats the stretch Jammy thanks for the info

how come you know there are no cameras at all on the A66 :laughing:

mrpj:
IIRC they actually have a small sign on them telling you that they are not speed cameras and are only measuring the traffic.

Nope can’t see any such markings but its a blurd at 75MPH :wink: :wink: :wink:

I do the 66 on a regular basis, so i just noticed it a few times :wink:.

Nope can’t see any such markings but its a blurd at 75MPH

If you go that slow you’ll be upsetting the Irish drivers.

Cheers Jammy

yeah had a good luck last night plenty of speed camera signs. :laughing:

Jammy the next time you are on the 66 as you come past the sedburgh layby have a butchers on the right handside where they look as if they are about to widen it. There is a green camera at the side of the road…any idea what that is?

Also I can’t remember exactly which spot but as you are going toward the M6 on the 66 just before a bridge there is a speed camera warning sign then just the other side of that bridge and I mean feet not yards there is an overhead green camera…are these the same as the traffic monitor cameras.

I dont know what you mean i have never seen a green one but i WILL look out for it next time i go that way (might be a few weeks).

Don’t know if it’s the same there, but here in Cornwall the green cameras that look similar to the blue Trafficmaster ones are used by the County Council to monitor traffic congestion.

thecoder0:
Jammy the next time you are on the 66 as you come past the sedburgh layby have a butchers on the right handside where they look as if they are about to widen it. There is a green camera at the side of the road…any idea what that is?

Also I can’t remember exactly which spot but as you are going toward the M6 on the 66 just before a bridge there is a speed camera warning sign then just the other side of that bridge and I mean feet not yards there is an overhead green camera…are these the same as the traffic monitor cameras.

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: Is there something wrong with your screen coder0? You asked the question and it has been answered by several people already including myself, but yet you continue to repeat the same question. Do you have an issue with the answers that have already been given?

For the billionth time, they are

TRAFFIC MONITORING SENSORS

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The green ones and the blue ones are both traffic density, as has been said before.
They work by reading your numberplate from the front using the camera facing you, then seeing how long it is before the next numberplate comes along. From this, they can work out how heavy the traffic is.
Years ago, it was found that the system COULD be used to judge a single vehicles speed and that the company running them was actually retaining the data and might give that information to the rozzers if asked. There was a bit of a kerfuffle about this and they changed the system so that it doesn’t remember the entire registration plate, it drops the first and last digits.

Rob K:

thecoder0:

:question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: Is there something wrong with your screen coder0? You asked the question and it has been answered by several people already including myself, but yet you continue to repeat the same question. Do you have an issue with the answers that have already been given?

For the billionth time, they are

TRAFFIC MONITORING SENSORS

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

ROB K nothing wrong with my monitor thanks

If you don’t want to contribute further then thats cool but one “billionth time” mmm…bit of over exageration there…you speaking on behalf of other people that have contributed…not your place me thinks…I think you will also find the conversation you highlighted was betweem Jammy and myself …so in a nutshell …: if you don’t like what you read then…move on this is a site for people to post views and opinions that are of interest to them for whatever reason :wink: so where you get the idea youhave some kind of right to bring any particular topic to an end is a mystery :laughing: :laughing: .

There are no speed cameras on the A66 between Scotch Corner & Workington
only camera vans which usually park between Cockermouth & Keswick &Keswick Penrith. There is one permanent camera set up on the A595 between Distington & Whitehaven hope this is of use to someone
Regards
Thames Trader.

Thames trader:
There are no speed cameras on the A66 between Scotch Corner & Workington
only camera vans which usually park between Cockermouth & Keswick &Keswick Penrith. There is one permanent camera set up on the A595 between Distington & Whitehaven hope this is of use to someone
Regards
Thames Trader.

Is it a blue one or a green one? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i was going across the “66” the other sunday on my way to carlisle anyway as i came to the top of the hill after that long slog up the dual carrige way …

im starting to waffle…

anyway as i came to the top of the hill ready for the flyer back down i stopped a mile ahead at the bottom a camera van pointing at the middle of the hill. i just managed to get back to 40 in time.

on the way back i came from carlisle to wakefield the m6, m61, m62.