Speed awareness courses

It looks like I may be able to do one as alternative to points , just filled in details for who was driving Mrs car :blush: :blush: ( I’m apparently now banned from driving her car :unamused: )

1. Can you pick date you do it on , as tramping mon/ fri was be far more convenient than tues / we’d / thurs :question:
  2. Cost , there saying its £100 fine / 3 points ( 71 mph in a 60 ) , so what’s the cost of a speed awareness course :question: , my mrs had to do a course for no car insurance ( she did have insurance on her car and I told her it covered her to drive mine but after reading small print she wasn’t :blush: :blush: ( ive never heard the end of it ) , I’m sure it was £175 at and at kyme ( past sleaford ) , so how much is speed awarness course :question:
    3 cammera clocked me in Leicestershire , where would you go to do course :question:
    Ta

dozy:
It looks like I may be able to do one as alternative to points , just filled in details for who was driving Mrs car :blush: :blush: ( I’m apparently now banned from driving her car :unamused: )

1. Can you pick date you do it on , as tramping mon/ fri was be far more convenient than tues / we’d / thurs :question:
  2. Cost , there saying its £100 fine / 3 points ( 71 mph in a 60 ) , so what’s the cost of a speed awareness course :question: , my mrs had to do a course for no car insurance ( she did have insurance on her car and I told her it covered her to drive mine but after reading small print she wasn’t :blush: :blush: ( ive never heard the end of it ) , I’m sure it was £175 at and at kyme ( past sleaford ) , so how much is speed awarness course :question:
    3 cammera clocked me in Leicestershire , where would you go to do course :question:
    Ta

(1) NO (2) Same as a fine but no points (3) Surprised the car was not seized for no Insurance (4)Somewhere in Leicestershire at a guess,same County as where you were clocked

I’v been clocked in Hampshire and had speed awareness course in Northampton.

I got caught doing 40mph in a 30mph zone, got the opportunity of a speed awareness course which I accepted, few weeks later had a letter from them told to fill out a yellow form that came through my door. I forgot about it as I was busy, I then received a letter from the police again saying that I had to either fill out the form or arrange it online, I have lost the yellow form with all the details on it and haven’t heard anything since. This was in October I think, not trying to dodge the issue but I have no idea of what I am supposed to do next, wait until I hear from them or who do I ring?

ALL uninsured cars…

Are seized by the police and only released after the owners have paid the impound and tow away charges if the insurance can be proven.

A £300 fixed penalty and 6 points on your licence.

A £20–per day storage charge and a £150 collection fee to recover your car.

A crushed car if it’s not reclaimed within 14 days.

Why wasn’t your Mrs’ then?

Cost was the same as the fine (within a fiver or so). Got clocked in Lincolnshire, did it close to home on a Saturday. Police sent me a list of approved centres and I picked one.

As long as not done in Dorset you can do anywhere they are operated by the local councils and the will give you the option of time date and place within the time scale you have to complete the course . Cost is the same as the fine £100 usually and you need to declair to you insurers
Not many insurance companies these days offer third party coverage on other vehicles these days as I found out . At the time I had two other comprehensive policy’s but none covered third party driving . Luckily for me the policeman could see I was genuine and didn’t report me for it but didn’t let me drive it any further. my father in law only lived about a 100m up the road and the policeman even drove the car and put it on the drive

chester1:
As long as not done in Dorset you can do anywhere they are operated by the local councils and the will give you the option of time date and place within the time scale you have to complete the course . Cost is the same as the fine £100 usually and you need to declair to you insurers

I thought the idea of the course was to not get the points on your licence which in turn shouldn’t affect your insurance as they wouldn’t know unless you get the points. I had no idea that you have to inform your insurance?

UKtramp:

chester1:

I thought the idea of the course was to not get the points on your licence which in turn shouldn’t affect your insurance as they wouldn’t know unless you get the points. I had no idea that you have to inform your insurance?

It won’t affect your insurance they just want to know . If you have a claim they will check dvla and use it against you to get out of paying . I recently had a nightmare getting ins as some companies ask the question about awareness courses some don’t on comparison sites but the insurance firms can see all the sites I got a call a few days after taking out a policy asking why I didn’t declair the speed awareness course as they had seen it on another site

UKtramp:

It depends on your…

Insurance company. If the question is ‘have you been convicted of a motoring offence in the last year/5 years’ then you can honestly answer back ‘no’. A notice of intended prosecution is what is posted to you not a conviction. Intended being the all important word.

A speed awareness course is not a conviction it’s just a boring four hours of your life that you won’t get back.

You have not been convicted of a speeding offence merely accused of one.

yourhavingalarf:

UKtramp:

It depends on your…

Insurance company. If the question is ‘have you been convicted of a motoring offence in the last year/5 years’ then you can honestly answer back ‘no’. A notice of intended prosecution is what is posted to you not a conviction. Intended being the all important word.

A speed awareness course is not a conviction it’s just a boring four hours of your life that you won’t get back.

You have not been convicted of a speeding offence merely accused of one.

That was my understanding of it. Because you are not receiving any points on your licence then you cannot have been convicted of any speeding offence. An awareness course is to make you aware of the dangers and the consequences of speeding.

On course I’v been told, that I have to inform insurer only, if they directly ask about such course.

Not done a speed awareness course, but did the equivalent safety course for getting nabbed by a traffic light camera in Nottingham.
At the time, (18 months ago), this cost £80 vs £90 for the speed awareness version. Was able to book it at a local hotel, choice of dates.

Mine was £85 and lasted 6 hours I think.
I was offered different times to choose from, all depends where you go, mine was Harrogate.
There were people from far and wide there, not all local authorities do courses.
Jim

JFC999:
Mine was £85 and lasted 6 hours I think.
I was offered different times to choose from, all depends where you go, mine was Harrogate.
There were people from far and wide there, not all local authorities do courses.
Jim

Loads are doing it after realising it’s a very good cash cow . There are 4 places it can be done in maidstone and each place does two courses a day with 18 on each course something like 15k a day

To do a speed awareness course the cost is £90 and you must agree and pay to do it within 28 days from the date of the conditional offer and the the course must be done at a place of your choice within 120 days, although Scotland does not allow this option of a speed awareness course you can however waste 6 hrs there doing the ‘ride’ option if offered. Just checked these facts on the paperwork that I have infront of me … same bloody camera and same speed as four years ago, A1 Barrowby Thorns :frowning:

yourhavingalarf:
ALL uninsured cars…

Are seized by the police and only released after the owners have paid the impound and tow away charges if the insurance can be proven.

I would have thought that this was because the car itself was insured, but the Mrs wasn’t insured to drive it.

Is it not the driver who’s insured to drive and not the car ■■

waue1978:

yourhavingalarf:
ALL uninsured cars…

I would have thought that this was because the car itself was insured, but the Mrs wasn’t insured to drive it.

Or because…it never actually happened?

Dozy read the notice.
Then go to their web site
Then read about it.

You need to book the course within X days.
and pay

And attend the course within Y days.

Then you need to get your act together.