SPECS Cameras - Am I missing something?

I was driving along the A14 this morning sat at 50 and every other lorry on the road went flying past me.

Maybe I’ve got this wrong but surely these average speed cameras check the vehicle reg and know the difference between a car and a lorry.

Not sure I’d want risk it but these lorrys can’t all be getting tickets.

With your speedo reading 50 the chances are you will actually be doing 47 - 48 mph while the trucks ‘flying past’ will be doing about 52 - 53 mph, even though their speedo says 56, and the chances of getting a ticket for 52/53 in a 50 are slim.

idiots

I know I wouldn’t chance it

I agree they always come flying past me as well there

Steve-o:
idiots

I know I wouldn’t chance it

it was the same on the m18 at doncaster.

its not worth it i wouldnt do it either.

Dafman:
I agree they always come flying past me as well there

and me and us and them … WTF it’s their licence they will lose… not yours :smiling_imp:

DGW131:
and me and us and them … WTF it’s their licence they will lose… not yours :smiling_imp:

You’re right - I don’t really care if they lose their licence - I’ll still be working.

I’m paid by the hour so why would I want to rush about?

I was just wondering if these cameras could recognise a lorry. I thought these worked off ANPR so every plate would have to be checked against DVLA database. At peak times this would require a lot of computer power.

Hence then difference between all of us.

As coffee says, chances are slim.

Because of design, the av. speed type cam tolerance has,by design, to be somewhat wider, not much but a bit.

That’s why it’s fairly safe to do an actual 50 (gps speed) or even 2 or 3 more.

Those that stay well below, that’s fine. Do what you reckon is good
and comfortable for you.

My limiter is on 54 (gps speed). Appears to be safe passing a ‘regular’ speed cam,but even safer (imo) within a specs zone.

Whatever floats yer boat…

Are we talking about the ones above the M11? I used to stick to 50 but as you said people seem to be flying past and to be honest my speed has crept up now and i tend to stick to limiter through now and have not had any problems(fingers seriously crossed :open_mouth: )

The last too motors have both shown an indicated top speed of 56 on speedo but both have been showing 54 on GPS. I come through specs on m1 with GPS and cruise control both set on 50 and find i pass most things and the speedo slightly over reads at about 53 (although theres always someone going faster and braking for SPECS cameras :laughing:

danny_mk2:
Are we talking about the ones above the M11? I used to stick to 50 but as you said people seem to be flying past and to be honest my speed has crept up now and i tend to stick to limiter through now and have not had any problems(fingers seriously crossed :open_mouth: )

The last too motors have both shown an indicated top speed of 56 on speedo but both have been showing 54 on GPS. I come through specs on m1 with GPS and cruise control both set on 50 and find i pass most things and the speedo slightly over reads at about 53 (although theres always someone going faster and braking for SPECS cameras :laughing:

Motorway limit for trucks is 60 anyway, so M11 (or any other M way) specs cams arn’t going to affect us at all. Only when a lower
limit is posted do we need to think.

Don’t forget that there are thresholds above limits that have to be reached before prosecution commences.

They’re supposed to be (!) 10% of the limit +2mph.

On the A14 then, you would need to be doing 57 before anything happened.

I wouldn’t though, simply because I don’t trust the camera partnerships.

But there on the A14 before you reach the M11,

danny_mk2:
But there on the A14 before you reach the M11,

Yep Danny, that’s where we have to think and do!!!

If the limits 50mph the ACPO guidelines state the threshold is 57mph.

Tho exceeding the speed limit by 1 mph is illegal and you can get done. But it would be by a policeman using his disression. Cameras because they are automated and there is no discression have to be set to ACPO guidlines as a minimum, thats meant to be set out in the guidelines for the camera partnerships setting up speed cameras as well as them being visable.

Heard of people getting caught doing 31mph in a 30mph limit etc… but i always take that with a pinch of salt, police usually follow ACPO guidelines unless your being an arse to them or your speed is in excess due to the conditions. Like its heavy snow or thick fog and it aint really safe to do the speed limit.

Saying all this i dont take the risk with SPECS cameras. Not so much for the risk the camera might be set lower, it won’t be because breaking the guidelines means the camera partnership are then excluded from getting a percentage of the revenue. But more because noticed with the likes of the A77 people are driving through on the threshold like 79mph and it must be getting noticed because now the traffic police are taking an interest and going after these people. Regularly see the traffics on the SPECS section of the A77 at the moment pulling people. Imagine would be the same with roadworks the lkes of the A74, cars sitting doing 50mph then a string of trucks go blasting by them scaring the crap outta them doing 55mph, chance someone complains to the police then the next thing you know the traffics are sitting waiting for trucks to do it.

Coffeeholic:
With your speedo reading 50 the chances are you will actually be doing 47 - 48 mph while the trucks ‘flying past’ will be doing about 52 - 53 mph, even though their speedo says 56, and the chances of getting a ticket for 52/53 in a 50 are slim.

What he said …
In relation to another thread our trucks have been knocked down to 54 mph , on gps gizmo things that read s50-51 mph , so 56 mph would be 52-53 mph .
Won’t trigger the scamera

Speedo’s aren’t gospel and never have been .

That 10% plus 2 mph may be a guideline, but don’t rely on it with west mercia.

Got done for 46 on open A road by one of the scamera vans, first nick in 25 years, got more warning gadgets in cab now than you could shake a stick at.

Juddian:

Got done for 46 on open A road by one of the scamera vans, first nick in 25 years, got more warning gadgets in cab now than you could shake a stick at.

Presuming the A road in question was single carriageway and therefore your limit was 40 mph.

then 10% of 40 is 4 =44mph

+2mph=46mph

You were done at 46mph so why don’t you trust it :question:

Juddian:

Yep, one of our lads was done recently for 46 mph on the A41 in West Mercia region. It was his first ever ticket in some 30+ years of having a licence but 46 is, as snafu says, bang on the guideline so he accepts he was bang to rights…

I drive down the A14 on the limiter ( 54/55 mph) not had anything come thru the post from Plod yet. Although on my satnav it says am doing 53, I too am hourly paid not rushing just doing the SAFE SPEED as not to slow the traffic down behind me.
The guys here who are shouting saying F-ing idiots etc etc, how did you learn to be PERFECT drivers? Let me know? Ta :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: