South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Any of you South Wales lads recognise the reg on this Marathon,TG was a South Wales plate and photo looks like it was taken at Fletchers according to the sign at front.Tank has a Styrene label with a Briton Ferry number so loaded out of Baglan Bay. I had left Evans in 1979 by the time they bought this Marathon.It would more than likely have been based in W G Davies’ yard in Morriston,thought maybe it was ex Joint Motorways and later fitted with all pet regs?
Just had a thought,labelling is not correct for 1979 as no UN number shown so photo must have been taken before 1977 when new labels were made mandatory - I think? I don’t ever recall seeing this wagon and I did Sth Wales regularly for A E Evans.Fleet number is 239,mine was 238 and I got mine new in 1976.
Cheers,
Chris.

Chris Webb:
Any of you South Wales lads recognise the reg on this Marathon,TG was a South Wales plate and photo looks like it was taken at Fletchers according to the sign at front.Tank has a Styrene label with a Briton Ferry number so loaded out of Baglan Bay. I had left Evans in 1979 by the time they bought this Marathon.It would more than likely have been based in W G Davies’ yard in Morriston,thought maybe it was ex Joint Motorways and later fitted with all pet regs?
Just had a thought,labelling is not correct for 1979 as no UN number shown so photo must have been taken before 1977 when new labels were made mandatory - I think? I don’t ever recall seeing this wagon and I did Sth Wales regularly for A E Evans.Fleet number is 239,mine was 238 and I got mine new in 1976.
Cheers,
Chris.

The plate is ttg 290" don’t know who had that

Chris Webb:
Cheers,
Chris.

Hi Chris,
It can’t have been ex Joint.Every single one of their Marathons were scrapped by them.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Chris Webb:
Cheers,
Chris.

Hi Chris,
It can’t have been ex Joint.Every single one of their Marathons were scrapped by them.
Regards Andrew.

Ok,thanks Andrew and smallcoal.
By the way Andrew I keep seeing B M Charles’ wagons from Bradwell going through Ashbourne,if I remember right you restored one of their Volvos?

Chris Webb:

pete 359:

Chris Webb:
Cheers,
Chris.

Hi Chris,
Regards Andrew.

Ok,thanks Andrew and smallcoal.
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply.Phil Charles bought my F16 VOLVO Back in June 2008.
Regards Andrew.

Is that the one would not start at Fairford one Sunday morning :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing:

Lance Biscomb:
Is that the one would not start at Fairford one Sunday morning :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing:

Hi M8,
Correct,Though you soon had her running as I recall…….
Regards Andrew.

Hi all,
I’ve heard in the last hour that Kaye Mansel Davies has sadly passed away,Condolences to Stephen and the family.

AA7B692A-3500-4DD5-9A06-2E17414E272B.jpeg

Hi all. Andrew great photos as usual.
I wonder how the WYNN’S motor came off against the Austin Cambridge!
Trying to make out the number plate on Harry Kelly’s GUY INVINCIBLE. I have a print that Alan Spillet done years ago of a similar if not the same motor in my office. Dave the Renegade was a big fan of Allan’s. Actually got mine as a supplement in Truck & Driver.
Multitasking here, watching a video of the wee Yorkshireman on his last visit to Florida the week of hurricane Ian.
I was heading south into the storm as Vernon was running north away from it.
At the beginning he has one of the three trucks I run out of Orlando for DAVENPORT TRANSPORTATION. A blue VOLVO VNL 860. 860 is the cab size/model number. The biggest VOLVO engine offered here is the D13 at 550hp, with the fantastic I-shift.
Mind you, I prefer the look and configuration of the FH cab over, compared to the VNL conventional.

Condolences to the Davies family, another legend in road transport for sure.

Paul

Hi all,
A few classic black and white South Wales images here……….
Tony Morgan’s mighty F700 MACK.
■■■■ Westcott of Porthcawl and his first lorry.
An opencast site near Pontypool.
Robbins of Swansea Foden.
Blunt Bros Octopus.
Pair of WYNNS.

074BF2E6-2DD3-4C41-A304-310E91E30A2A.jpeg

9A9ED2F7-687D-48B5-A0DD-CF15224F5097.jpeg

Hi all,
One from a totally different time here.Caswell’s were a fine fleet.

pete 359:
Hi all,
One from a totally different time here.Caswell’s were a fine fleet.

:laughing: :laughing: How times have changed! Grown men with LGV licences and decades of experience with flatbeds aren’t allowed to do that now. You’d probably need a safety harness, full HSE gear and a banksman just to venture onto the deck :unamused: . You used to be able to put a whole Brownie pack dressed as Red Indians on a 40’ trailer forty years ago.

E2BD270C-A3A3-467F-94B4-E0DD5D9828B7.jpeg

Tony Morgan Scania 143 from 1991.

wales tony morgan 91.PNG

Hi all,
Heard the sad news earlier that John Raymond has passed away. A real name in South Wales road haulage that was for many years very highly respected throughout the whole industry.

518A3C3C-3C17-44FE-99E5-8CE425EF29B1.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,
Heard the sad news earlier that John Raymond has passed away. A real name in South Wales road haulage that was for many years very highly respected throughout the whole industry.

Sad news Andrew, would have been one of Atkinsons top customers back in the day?

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Sad news Andrew, would have been one of Atkinsons top customers back in the day?

Sad news indeed an iconic Welsh haulier. RIP.

wales john raymond atki.PNG

john raymond l fb.PNG.jpg

2017-06-29 17.19.26.jpg

pete 359:
Hi all,

Such sad news with the loss of another Stellar South Wales Haulier , with that of Kaye Mansel Davies of Mansel Davies Llanfyrnach last month! :cry:

The Hauliers of Heaven will have gained 2 very knowlegable Gentlemen of the Industry amongst them! R.I.P.

E.W.

Hi all,
A few more random South Wales photos……

5609B017-E5AD-4223-B3F2-EF4596FBE0D1.jpeg

5D2E5638-89C6-4424-AF54-B00807B7A37E.jpeg

0FA0072D-ADB2-4873-84FC-8F64A9A4971B.jpeg

30C63964-B733-4B9D-96AD-A39D6F916A23.jpeg

Hiya.
Can any of your lads from down in deepest Wales
tell me when Wynn’s closed their Manchester
(Trafford Park) depot