South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete smith:

smallcoal:
This is from wonderful world of trucking

John, That is Mike who owns the Atki

Hi Pete,Dennis been e,mailing me it’s Mike ponsonby ,dennis has given me the info already and his tv is set for Monday :smiley: :laughing:

smallcoal:

pete smith:

smallcoal:

Hi Pete,Dennis been e,mailing me it’s Mike ponsonby ,dennis has given me the info already and his tv is set for Monday :smiley: :laughing:

Hi Pete,
I’ve still not seen this program yet? Starting here with a Blue line yard photo and courtesy of Peter Davies,Chris Richards,Dave Lee and several other photographers,some other welsh gems……

pete 359:

smallcoal:

pete smith:

smallcoal:

Hi Pete,
I’ve still not seen this program yet? Starting here with a Blue line yard photo and courtesy of Peter Davies,Chris Richards,Dave Lee and several other photographers,some other welsh gems……

The Brs Seddon is Newport based code SB.
Dai

Dai
[/quote]
Hi Dai,
I think we may have had this Bridgend based 111 on here previously?

pete 359:
Dai

Hi Dai,
I think we may have had this Bridgend based 111 on here previously?
[/quote]
Morning Andrew
Was 1 of two 111,s [MTC 478R also]added to the fleet that year and this one was one of the first resprayed with the new colour scheme.
Loaded with finished goods of bog roll in the days when the packs were not shrink wrapped.
Backed loaded on nights the new machines for wrapping about 1982 with my late dad. 2 fitting on the old 40 footer flat.
Last going off Johnny Morgan used it on night trunk

Andrew,

Graham Lowder.

Click on pages twice to read.

Tipped Gateshead Thursday so decided to take some pics by angel of the north ,the other was in leeming bar rest area

Hello all.
Been up to the Midlands today and called into Brian’s “Ye old Hutte cafe” and was bought a very nice breakfast by a good friend and on the way out to the truck there was a lady tending to the garden in Brian’s bungalow and I enquired to see if Brian was still around but sadly she told me that Brian passed about a year ago and Wendy his wife had passed around 8 years ago. Anyone who knew Brian would tell you he was as straight as a die with a no nonsense outlook on life and he lived for his pigeon fancying hobbie. I noticed that Paul his son was working away in the far side of the property. Great clean food prepared by a great team. RIP Brian and Wendy.:heart:

GaH 1950
Hi, just saw your post on Brian’s Cafe and I wondered if you or your friend remember the wooden building that used to be there. Had many a good breakfast there back in the day.
Regards, Allan

Hi allen I remember the hut when I used to go for a spin with wally akins of blt breakfast was £2.50 then that was the 80,s always a good breakfast there even when the new building was made ,that was the stopping place on way to the midlands every morning ,I park in that lay-by if I’m close on time for the night always full of lorries

gah1950:
Hello all.
Been up to the Midlands today and called into Brian’s “Ye old Hutte cafe” and was bought a very nice breakfast by a good friend and on the way out to the truck there was a lady tending to the garden in Brian’s bungalow and I enquired to see if Brian was still around but sadly she told me that Brian passed about a year ago and Wendy his wife had passed around 8 years ago. Anyone who knew Brian would tell you he was as straight as a die with a no nonsense outlook on life and he lived for his pigeon fancying hobbie. I noticed that Paul his son was working away in the far side of the property. Great clean food prepared by a great team. RIP Brian and Wendy.:heart:

Hi Graham / I used to take pigeons up north and release them for him always had a free breakfast when you dropped the basket back on the way back down .

Mrsteel:
GaH 1950
Hi, just saw your post on Brian’s Cafe and I wondered if you or your friend remember the wooden building that used to be there. Had many a good breakfast there back in the day.
Regards, Allan

Hello Allen. I did remember the Wooden hut from the days that i used to go with my uncle when he drove for various South Wales Hauliers, But I never used it when I was driving, I used ‘‘Brians’’ new brick cafe quite a lot from 1987 to this day. Always a great meal of Liver Onions and Bacon there. My friend would’nt have remembered the old place as he is quite a few years younger than myself. :smiley: Regards Graham.

Ianto full pelt:

gah1950:
Hello all.

Hi Graham / I used to take pigeons up north and release them for him always had a free breakfast when you dropped the basket back on the way back down .

Hello Ianto full pelt.
It’s quite funny that when we got back into the lorry the conversation was about pigeons and i was really shocked at the enormous milages they could fly and get back home. But i understand that some birds were sold to other fanciers so wondered how they would find their way to their new home and not their previous home. I really cant work that out. :smiley: Regards Graham.

Does anyone remember the steel drop in Gateshead not Nissan Sunderland I think this was on team valley

Hi all,
Quite possibly the largest remaining,former old skool South Wales haulage yard,has finally been cleared.Illtyd Thomas we’re a prolific welsh haulier for decades,Owned that yard for 110 years.They found amongst dozens of remains a 1948 Atki 8 wheel flat.Even some of those god awful drop side tippers we’re found.

40F58D8C-5A35-44EB-A293-E3DAD35DF7F0.jpeg

51B59ABD-419D-449D-8439-F1F768B76335.jpeg

CFB8035C-2DE1-48E2-A19D-2266D451A21C.jpeg

01FB68B3-D858-4E5E-8662-D7F4B2A5C54F.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,
Quite possibly the largest remaining,former old skool South Wales haulage yard,has finally been cleared.Illtyd Thomas we’re a prolific welsh haulier for decades,Owned that yard for 110 years.They found amongst dozens of remains a 1948 Atki 8 wheel flat.Even some of those god awful drop side tippers we’re found.

Hi Andrew,where was that by not the one by walkers crisps ,they on about starting the fuel protest again like last time they done it in Gateshead this weekend travelling at 5mph on the a1 they now want it all over the uk

smallcoal:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Andrew,where was that by not the one by walkers crisps ,they on about starting the fuel protest again like last time they done it in Gateshead this weekend travelling at 5mph on the a1 they now want it all over the uk

Hi Smallcoal,
They had two yards,The one you mentioned on Carmarthen road,is I think Ken Appleyard’s now? The images were taken at the original Cockett yard,not very far away.I can’t see how that kind of protest will do anything other than alienate the haulage industry from the British public.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

smallcoal:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Smallcoal,
They had two yards,The one you mentioned on Carmarthen road,is I think Ken Appleyard’s now? The images were taken at the original Cockett yard,not very far away.I can’t see how that kind of protest will do anything other than alienate the haulage industry from the British public.
Regards Andrew.

Is that the Ken who had the yard in port talbot where everyone got spares from ,I read about the protest on metro online it’s also on you tube seen one of ronnies on hard shoulder by sarn with the mickey mouse squad behind him how’s the magnum ready to go yet

smallcoal:

pete 359:

smallcoal:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Smallcoal,
Regards Andrew.

Is that the Ken who had the yard in port talbot where everyone got spares from ,I read about the protest on metro online it’s also on you tube seen one of ronnies on hard shoulder by sarn with the mickey mouse squad behind him how’s the magnum ready to go yet

Yes,that’s Ken,a Yorkshire man,I went to his other place near Leeds a time or two.I’m told he’s in that yard? Haven’t seen him in 25 years now. How did you find that on YouTube? Was an off side blow out earlier today.
Regards Andrew.

Thought it might be ,Ken used to rent a scammell 8 wheel tipper to a bloke called Roy packington I used to drive it on the wimpy Hobbs site in the abbey for him ,that protest was on metro paper with the you tube logo type in north east fuel convoy it might come up