South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Buzzer:
Any one moving soon ? Buzzer

What a find that would look good restored nice find buzzer

Hi all,
Here’s a few more welsh oldies…….

pete 359:
Hi all,

Just to let you know Andrew the son of R and D Burrows has sadly passed away [John Jones]
Jogging your memory they had a 142 driven by Paddy Short and 2 bedford tm,s along side a Dunolm merc subbing for Joints.
His father took over the business from Reg and Dai Burrows and mostly ran coaches and stopped trading about 16 years ago.
They also had a daily service to Gate house ind/est Aylesbury from Llangeinor [Ofrex which become Rexell].
I never new them well but George Jones always asked my late dad to work for him and his bus drivers always tell me for some reason held him in high regard…
John worked on well into retirement driving for Gwyn Jones coaches
Dai

scania81:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Just to let you know Andrew the son of R and D Burrows has sadly passed away [John Jones]
Jogging your memory they had a 142 driven by Paddy Short and 2 bedford tm,s along side a Dunolm merc subbing for Joints.
His father took over the business from Reg and Dai Burrows and mostly ran coaches and stopped trading about 16 years ago.
They also had a daily service to Gate house ind/est Aylesbury from Llangeinor [Ofrex which become Rexell].
I never new them well but George Jones always asked my late dad to work for him and his bus drivers always tell me for some reason held him in high regard…
Dai

Hi,
I do remember Burrows, the late Tony Kinsey drove a Bedford TM for them, Subbing to Joint. I also knew Paddy, he drove for them for a long time.
Regards Andrew.

Sent from my AGS2-W09 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I accidentally found a Porthcawl Carnival video from 1973 on YouTube.Here’s a few screenshots of some stunning local lorries.I think the 86 in this first shot was one of J.R’s? Is it you? Mr steel…….

pete 359:
Hi all,
I accidentally found a Porthcawl Carnival video from 1973 on YouTube.Here’s a few screenshots of some stunning local lorries.I think the 86 in this first shot was one of J.R’s? Is it you? Mr steel…….

Such a shame alot of these old Carnivals have stopped due to health and safety etc.Some great old companies in those pics.

Heres a Joints Marathon.

A03907p.JPG

DEANB:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Such a shame alot of these old Carnivals have stopped due to health and safety etc.Some great old companies in those pics.

Heres a Joints Marathon.

Totally agree Dean, think they call it progress…progress my arse!

DEANB:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Heres a Joints Marathon.

That bloody road sign again, I keep thinking it is slit coil on a stand!

Nice pics Andrew,pity the carnival atmosphere has gone here’s one of my daf which I had this week instead of the man

pete 359:

scania81:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Dai

Hi,
I do remember Burrows, the late Tony Kinsey drove a Bedford TM for them, Subbing to Joint. I also knew Paddy, he drove for them for a long time.
Regards Andrew.
Trevor [paddy] is still alive even after a few heart attacks but not in the best of health.
Remember he had a bad accident solo in snow running off the black road into the tram yard of the Wyndham Western colliery.
The foden was a wreck and he had a Bowns truck rental transcon for a while.
They ran a few Leyland Lynx rigids too.

scania81:

pete 359:

scania81:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Dai

Hi,
Regards Andrew.
Trevor [paddy] is still alive even after a few heart attacks but not in the best of health.
Remember he had a bad accident solo in snow running off the black road into the tram yard of the Wyndham Western colliery.
The foden was a wreck and he had a Bowns truck rental transcon for a while.
They ran a few Leyland Lynx rigids too.

Good morning Dai,
Thanks for all the information.Good to hear that Paddy is still with us.A great shot here,courtesy of John Morgan.Big Doug Randall,The mighty KW & Tony Morgan,in my beautiful home town in 1981……

pete 359:
Good morning Dai,
Thanks for all the information.Good to hear that Paddy is still with us.A great shot here,courtesy of John Morgan.Big Doug Randall,The mighty KW & Tony Morgan,in my beautiful home town in 1981……

Tony Morgan was a big fan of the American trucks then Andrew. How many motors did he run,and did he have the Kenworth and Mack at the same time ?

2017-07-20 12.16.57.jpg

A01887.JPG

A03486p.JPG

DEANB:

pete 359:
Good morning Dai,

Tony Morgan was a big fan of the American trucks then Andrew. How many motors did he run,and did he have the Kenworth and Mack at the same time ?

Hi Dean.
Thanks for the photos,Yes Tony was a big fan of american muscle,As I am myself tbh.His first american truck was the brand new MACK,Painted then by my father,Tony had a Jensen Interceptor car at the time powered by an 8 litre Chrysler,My father also changed the colour on that.Yes he did have both the KW & MACK at the same time.The whole Morgan family were connected with South Wales road haulage,In one way or another.I’d say Tony’s fleet peaked at around 20 motors? My father painted all of them at some point.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

DEANB:

pete 359:
Good morning Dai,

Hi Dean.
Thanks for the photos,Yes Tony was a big fan of american muscle,As I am myself tbh.His first american truck was the brand new MACK,Painted then by my father,Tony had a Jensen Interceptor car at the time powered by an 8 litre Chrysler,My father also changed the colour on that.Yes he did have both the KW & MACK at the same time.The whole Morgan family were connected with South Wales road haulage,In one way or another.I’d say Tony’s fleet peaked at around 20 motors? My father painted all of them at some point.
Regards Andrew.

Intresting Andrew,was it just those 2 Yanks or were there more ?

One of my favourite cars,the Jensen Interceptor what a great looking motor. :wink:

DEANB:

pete 359:

DEANB:

pete 359:
Good morning Dai,

Hi Dean.
Regards Andrew.

One of my favourite cars,the Jensen Interceptor what a great looking motor. :wink:

Hi Dean,
The Mack & KW were the only American trucks that they ever had.A few years back they bought the KW back,from an owner in France.The Interceptor is an old favourite of mine,If you had one of those in the 1970’s you really were someone back then….
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:
“DEANB”

Hi Dean.
Regards Andrew.

Hi Dean,
The Mack & KW were the only American trucks that they ever had.A few years back they bought the KW back,from an owner in France.The Interceptor is an old favourite of mine,If you had one of those in the 1970’s you really were someone back then….
Regards Andrew.

Be nice to have one now Andrew ,they fetch serious wedge. Reckon you should talk Rowley into getting one ! :laughing: :wink:

DEANB:

pete 359:
“DEANB”

Hi Dean.
Regards Andrew.

Hi Dean,
Regards Andrew.

Be nice to have one now Andrew ,they fetch serious wedge. Reckon you should talk Rowley into getting one ! :laughing: :wink:

Hi Dean,
An iconic car,with the coolest automotive name ever!
Regards Andrew.

Hi Dean,
Regards Andrew.

Andrew,
Slightly off topic but reading your post reminded me of a customer of mine’s YELLOW Jensen Interceptor reg’d NH 7. In the late summer of 1987 as the after sales manager of a ford main dealership in Carmarthen we took on a restoration job for a local haulier ‘Norman Harries Transport’ and his car was his pride and joy along side his everyday runabout Sierra Cosworth, anyway the job progressed well and in October was nearing completion , that was until The Great storm arrived on October 18th and our Dealership lying alongside the river Towy!

I RECALL WE got a large possy of employees together on receiving the NRA warning that towy was bound to spill over and our paint shop back then was at the lowest level on our 2 acre site with only the flood defence wall between us and the river, so after we moved as much as possible poor old Norman’s Jensen was given a safe spot in our car workshop which was around 8’ on higher ground , imagine our horror when the next morning to find a large area of the town flooded worst than ever known previously and it took 3 days before the waters receded and for us to be able to get onto the site to witness the absolute destruction that had been caused, and our fruitless efforts of the evening before left nothing salvageable including the Jensen Interceptor which had been under around 6’ of water ,.

Sometime later after the claim was agreed the Jensen made it’s way to a dealer in Bristol on the instructions of General Accident our insurers and i never heard any more of it , and poor old Norman Harries passed away not long after possibly of a broken heart after the Jensen, i never did get much grief off him that i can recall but maybe he will be greeting me at the pearly gates some day! :wink:

E.W.

EW car truck & bus:
Hi Dean,
Regards Andrew.

Andrew,
Slightly off topic but reading your post reminded me of a customer of mine’s YELLOW Jensen Interceptor reg’d NH 7. In the late summer of 1987 as the after sales manager of a ford main dealership in Carmarthen we took on a restoration job for a local haulier ‘Norman Harries Transport’ and his car was his pride and joy along side his everyday runabout Sierra Cosworth, anyway the job progressed well and in October was nearing completion , that was until The Great storm arrived on October 18th and our Dealership lying alongside the river Towy!

I RECALL WE got a large possy of employees together on receiving the NRA warning that towy was bound to spill over and our paint shop back then was at the lowest level on our 2 acre site with only the flood defence wall between us and the river, so after we moved as much as possible poor old Norman’s Jensen was given a safe spot in our car workshop which was around 8’ on higher ground , imagine our horror when the next morning to find a large area of the town flooded worst than ever known previously and it took 3 days before the waters receded and for us to be able to get onto the site to witness the absolute destruction that had been caused, and our fruitless efforts of the evening before left nothing salvageable including the Jensen Interceptor which had been under around 6’ of water ,.

Sometime later after the claim was agreed the Jensen made it’s way to a dealer in Bristol on the instructions of General Accident our insurers and i never heard any more of it , and poor old Norman Harries passed away not long after possibly of a broken heart after the Jensen, i never did get much grief off him that i can recall but maybe he will be greeting me at the pearly gates some day! :wink:

E.W.

Thanks E.W.
A few welsh oldies here.Firstly a BRS Seddon at Swansea depot.Secondly one of Bridgend Creamery’s ERF tankers,caught up in traffic in the centre of old Port Talbot and finally a pair of Isaac Caswell’s seddon Atki’s…….

Another one of Caswell’s.