South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Pete 359
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for that, I thought I was on to something there
Regards , Allan

Hi all,
Here’s some random South Wales Motors…

Two wreckers today, the Mandator snapped at a vintage rally Merthyr College and the Ford at Swansea Truck and Bus Rally all credit to SCP for the photos.
Oily

oiltreader:
Two wreckers today, the Mandator snapped at a vintage rally Merthyr College and the Ford at Swansea Truck and Bus Rally all credit to SCP for the photos.
Oily

Hi Oily,
Thanks very much.Both of those firms are flourishing,recovery operators love these wonderful? modern high-tech vehicles…
A few classic old Middle East shots here,Hicks of Newport featured in all of them…

oiltreader:
Oily

I remember delivering next door to RT Williams Recovery in Merthyr Tydfil, one rainy day, and they were stood at the door, when I approached the owner and asked him ‘Who the hell was driving that last Thursday through Merthyr?’ Pointing at an Atkinson with recovery crane on the back, He asked me why, I replied ‘Because they didn’t have a clue how to use the gearbox, when it passed me they were playing land of hope and glory on it’ He asked me if I would swear to it if questioned by the police and lawyers, yea of course why? It had been taken, incorrectly by bailiffs and they had knackered the gearbox by the time they got it to Cardiff and he was suing them for a new box! Never did get questioned and that was the last I heard of it, so he must have been successful :smiley:

vanman99:

oiltreader:
Oily

I remember delivering next door to RT Williams Recovery in Merthyr Tydfil, one rainy day, and they were stood at the door, when I approached the owner and asked him ‘Who the hell was driving that last Thursday through Merthyr?’ Pointing at an Atkinson with recovery crane on the back, He asked me why, I replied ‘Because they didn’t have a clue how to use the gearbox, when it passed me they were playing land of hope and glory on it’ He asked me if I would swear to it if questioned by the police and lawyers, yea of course why? It had been taken, incorrectly by bailiffs and they had knackered the gearbox by the time they got it to Cardiff and he was suing them for a new box! Never did get questioned and that was the last I heard of it, so he must have been successful :smiley:

Good morning Simon,
Great to hear from you mate. The firm is in the safe hands of Lyndon Williams now.We all met up at my place recently after that god awful food bank convoy that Mr Steel and I attended in my Dodge.You will remember,We saw you on the bridge @ Llanharan cutting.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

vanman99:

oiltreader:
Oily

Good morning Simon,
Great to hear from you mate. The firm is in the safe hands of Lyndon Williams now.We all met up at my place recently after that god awful food bank convoy that Mr Steel and I attended in my Dodge.You will remember,We saw you on the bridge @ Llanharan cutting.
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew,
Cracking set of lads at R T Williams, they used to do the inspections on the truck I had based down Hirwaun.
They recovered me after the Daf chucked the fan belts off, they fixed the motor on a night shift and took me to a hotel in Merthyr, The Castle? and picked me up the next morning, truck fixed and ready to go.
ps. They had a folder in their tea room full of photo’s of their recovery jobs, worth scanning for on here Andrew? Cheer’s Pete

Hi Andrew. Nice shot of G578 XAE, mine was G580. Can’t remember who drove it, may of been Ray White or Ron Chapman. It was before wraps but the vinyl did look good. We had a batch of six delivered and turned in old 40ft TIP trailers for new 12m Gray and Adams units from Central Trailer in Barry.

I think Welshboy1/Tony Baker works for RT Williams, as Pete said there might be some good photos in their album.
Hi Pete, there is a Castle hotel in Merthyr, used to be by the bus station. When it was built in the 70s it was flash for Merthyr. Howard Winston used to drink there along with quite a few other colorful characters.

Regards Paul

Paul John:
Hi Andrew. Nice shot of G578 XAE, mine was G580. Can’t remember who drove it, may of been Ray White or Ron Chapman. It was before wraps but the vinyl did look good. We had a batch of six delivered and turned in old 40ft TIP trailers for new 12m Gray and Adams units from Central Trailer in Barry.

I think Welshboy1/Tony Baker works for RT Williams, as Pete said there might be some good photos in their album.
Hi Pete, there is a Castle hotel in Merthyr, used to be by the bus station. When it was built in the 70s it was flash for Merthyr. Howard Winston used to drink there along with quite a few other colorful characters.

Regards Paul

Morning Paul,
That is the one near the bus station, there was a few ‘colourful’ characters staying there and they didn’t look like Merthyr born and bred!

The photo album I looked through was mostly older recoveries using that AEC Militant and the much loved Volvo they still own, they recovered me on that sliding bogie low loader trailer they have, a great bit of kit, Cheer’s Pete

whisperingsmith:
Anyone remember the outfit from Barry that did Middle East from around 1974, ran 1418 Mercs, painted in a dark buff colour.

Met up with one or two of them, good men

I think you are referring to “Kondor” they had a few 1418’s and also worked out of Geest on Barry Docks running bananas in the early 70’s. One of the drivers was Brian Harney who did the middle east run. The owner lived in the same block of flats as me and I knocked on his door to ask for a job and later Brian told me I didn’t get the job because I called him by his first name, :unamused: I went to work for Valley Carriers/Wincanton then Tom Hughes Transport.

Regards. Mike.

Another week another two this time all credit to Mark Hobbs for the photos.
Oily

Wales Sth Mark Hobbs 7210323804_a108bbd23d_b.jpg

oiltreader:
Another week another two this time all credit to Mark Hobbs for the photos.
Oily

Hi Oily,
Thanks very much for those pair.Here is a 1992 fleet photo of Rhys Davies’ Taffs Wells depot.

Hi all,
An old F86 here from D.J.Thomas,An XF Superspace DAF working internally in either The Abbey or Llanwern? I think heading north on the A6 up Shap? Wynn’s Scammell’s working hard…

7D570701-A58B-400D-9713-7BD1085BEEE2.jpg

404BCE51-C3C8-49CA-9DFB-4D7F713C30A2.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,
An old F86 here from D.J.Thomas,An XF Superspace DAF working internally in either The Abbey or Llanwern? I think heading north on the A6 up Shap? Wynn’s Scammell’s working hard…

Hi Andrew,Owens in texturing technologies across from bay 1 in the abbey ,carline had a left hand Scania on that contract that’s a nice colour on that Owens

pete 359:
Hi all,

Morning Andrew,
It looks like Shap and that Commer behind the Transit carries the compressor to blow the hovercraft bag up under the trailer for crossing bridges, he would have had a dead start at the bottom and another stop to disconnect the pipes! Cheer’s Pete

pete 359:
Hi all,

Thats a cracking shot of the 3 x Wynns Scammell Contractors pulling / pushing that load. I would imagine around 250/300 ton ?

I wonder if they have come to a stop there as the fella is walking along side.

Nelsons garage taibach what firm run out of this place as there was a haulage company you can see a truck parked up,Andrew wish your old man happy birthday have a good day :smiley:

EECEF0A3-E630-4686-B2EF-1F4C58C654DF.jpeg

Good Morning Andrew, two more, all credit to SCP for the photos.
Oily

A regular subbie for years loading out of llandow and Tesco crick was ideal for their backload out of United biscuits Ashby de la zouche

scania81:
A regular subbie for years loading out of llandow and Tesco crick was ideal for their backload out of United biscuits Ashby de la zouche

Hello dai tried to answer your message a while back I am doing something wrong can not get in touch what a Wally Alan brs bridgend