South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Marktaff I cant remember but I do know it opened up to b a lot bigger and there was a bar and cinema in there stunning inside but ugly outside it’s so long ago I cant remember were it came from or were it went

Hi all,
Starting with a very early mode of South Wales (internal combustion) road haulage and finishing with a Jaga Bros.next generation Scania.In between those two,Davis Bros.I am told,were a very big player and this welsh registered Albion may well have once been based on Stormy Down?

5A5BAA6D-9FBC-4FCD-87A9-03D3EA5E3FAC.jpeg

D947735D-1EFC-410E-8096-4F498996655C.jpeg

Pete 359
Hi Coop
Definitely the Windrush, had a few meals there back in the day.
The Davies Bros: photos take me back to the time I was an apprentice with Jones Motors Kenfig Hill.
One of the fitters there was a guy named Bill Prince who had been a fitter with with Davies Bros on Stormy Down.
Regards Mr Steel

Mrsteel:
Pete 359
Hi Coop
Definitely the Windrush, had a few meals there back in the day.
The Davies Bros: photos take me back to the time I was an apprentice with Jones Motors Kenfig Hill.
One of the fitters there was a guy named Bill Prince who had been a fitter with with Davies Bros on Stormy Down.
Regards Mr Steel

Hi Allan,
Thanks very much,I have to rely on the likes of yourself on knowledge of Davies’.I Very probably?never even went to Stormy Down until 1970/71.Here are a pair of the Crusader Lewyn Lewis drove for Jaydee Transport of Newport.

My heart felt condolences go out to Trucknet member,Dai Cap after the passing away of his eldest son Michael Davies.We worked next door to One another during the 80’s and 90’s.When Mike was a fitter in D.Liscombe Builders supplies.I painted his first lorry into Steetley livery,when he finished to start as an owner driver back in 1993.An honest hard working man and very well known and liked in South Wales and beyond.Mike’s funeral is 22/11/19 at 1.15 p.m.Coychurch Crematorium.

Condolences to dai cap on the loss of his son sad news :frowning:

Hi Andrew these were on deans page some Welsh boys

What a cracking old shot of the abbey bit quiet on the weighbridge obviously viv wasn’t on :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Small Coal
Hi John
Re: the photo of the weighbridge in the Abbey the photo was taken long before Viv ( aka the singing chin )
was on the scene. The motor on the weighbridge looks like one of JR’s , might even have been my ’ old man.
Regards, Mr Steel

N.M.P

21319037432_cc6ee10f59.jpg

Hi all,
A few welsh oldies here :

1. AEC Matador recovery truck @ Welch’s Tremains Hill Bridgend.
  2. 1635 Merc from MAT based in Cardiff.
  3. Rear lift ERF,Morgan’s of Cwm.

pete smith:
N.M.P

Worked for b&a Rodgers base at Swindon

Hi all,
A couple here,courtesy of Michael Ryall,who did a night trunk,from Bicester to Bridgend,many years ago for Vale Transport.

6437CEBE-E158-4361-985C-1BED4350B9A9.jpeg

073CCCD4-D85A-4BAE-A3C2-7D8FBE6A6EEF.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,

#2 MAT trailer just gave me the shivers, first experience of a full tilt strip down was an MAT tilt with a return load from Germany of steel frames for floors in high rise buildings and overhead crane to unload :neutral_face: Loaded through the side in Darmstadt, wasn’t expecting that when I got back to Gloucester! (Come to think about it, the building I delivered to in Gloucester is no longer there - hope it was nothing to do with me!)

Brochure about the original Severn Road Bridge.

Some intresting facts and figures.

Click on pages twice to read.

vanman99:

pete 359:
Hi all,

#2 MAT trailer just gave me the shivers, first experience of a full tilt strip down was an MAT tilt with a return load from Germany of steel frames for floors in high rise buildings and overhead crane to unload :neutral_face: Loaded through the side in Darmstadt, wasn’t expecting that when I got back to Gloucester! (Come to think about it, the building I delivered to in Gloucester is no longer there - hope it was nothing to do with me!)

Hi Simon,
Tilts were a lot of work,amazing really,when you look back at how many hauliers had them.Keeping the aluminium side gates on would be a fair trick these days! Remember Stan had a set of six stolen from a Seatrans tilt in Pyle lay-by,years ago.
Regards Andrew.

Hi all,
A few Newport motors here.Firstly Lewyn Lewis and a 40 odd tonnes Komatsu on a home made 4 inline trailer coupled to an LV ERF unit.A well worked Alpha Steels Maggie Deutz and a very old bow front Foden.

Hi all,
Courtesy of Norman Corcoran,a couple here taken in T.D. Williams’ yard…

89EF9F39-88BF-4ADF-9FB9-7B5A7667E0F3.jpeg