South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Pete 359
Hi Coop
Re: the Vale Tpt: photos VTX 333G would have been one of the first Silver Knights in the area.
John Raymond had VTX 300G which went to Dewi Evans in Carmarthen and i’me sure it was driven by Tony James
Regards Mr Steel

Some pics taken yesterday by 13 bay ramp in the abbey I was tipping banding wire to the packers loads of different hauliers not one coil trailer in sight the works is not like it used to be

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mrsteel:
Pete 359
Hi Coop
Re: the Vale Tpt: photos VTX 333G would have been one of the first Silver Knights in the area.
John Raymond had VTX 300G which went to Dewi Evans in Carmarthen and i’me sure it was driven by Tony James
Regards Mr Steel

Hi Allen,
Thanks,I wasn’t aware of that.Vale were a fine fleet,I like Big Tony,he’s been attending events for ever.I last saw him in Fishguard in July,Looking very well.Here’s one right up your street.Isaac Caswell,Ebbw Vale on the door? Not Abergavenny,so maybe the early years of the firm? I’m guessing a mid to late 50’s Atki,running on 40x8’s ? London was along way from the valleys back then…

Hi all,
A lovely old photo here,Two brand new D series,outside R.J.Bown In Treforest…

pete 359:
Hi all,

Classic pic Andrew. Look how short the wheelbase is on those two D series. :smiley:

pete 359:
Hi all,

I wonder what percentage of TNUK old-timers users passed their test on these. I reckon about 78% :wink: R

ERF-NGC-European:

pete 359:
Hi all,

I wonder what percentage of TNUK old-timers users passed their test on these. I reckon about 78% :wink: R

Not me, I had a choice of an eight year old Foden S34 tipper or nothing! :laughing: Ford were a popular choice with training establishments though. However after I took mine the company I worked for (Tilcon) stopped using their own training school at Kirby Misperton and started using Trent Training near Eastwood instead, and they might have used either Ford D series or Dodge Commando six wheelers which were four wheelers with an extra axle added and quite short?

Pete.

windrush:

ERF-NGC-European:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Not me, I had a choice of an eight year old Foden S34 tipper or nothing! :laughing: Ford were a popular choice with training establishments though. However after I took mine the company I worked for (Tilcon) stopped using their own training school at Kirby Misperton and started using Trent Training near Eastwood instead, and they might have used either Ford D series or Dodge Commando six wheelers which were four wheelers with an extra axle added and quite short?

Pete.

I dont know how old you have to be to qualify as"an old timer" but I never had to be trained or pass an HGV test because if you were driving lorries for six months between mid 1969 and mid 1970 you were automatically granted an HGV licence. I dont doubt that many blokes were given licences at that time just because they knew somebody in the industry prepared to sign the appropriate form.

Count me in there Bookworm , I had a cushy number on an 8 wheel Scammel but did Sundays on a Foden artic ( quite legal to drive 7 days back then ). I reckoned that counted for regular work and got signed up for class 1 . As you said there was plenty of fiddling going on , one local firm signed all their drivers class 1 but had never had an artic on their fleet , Don’t suppose anyone checked up .

ERF-NGC-European:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Yep I did, 4/04/1987, (6 days after my 21st) kick in the back every time you found a pothole!

vanman99:

ERF-NGC-European:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Yep I did, 4/04/1987, (6 days after my 21st) kick in the back every time you found a pothole!

Simon, does that mean you were just a slip of a lad when you were on the tools at JR? Best Wishes Mike Cockel

Bookworm
Hi Mike
Just read the post on HGV licences, prompted me to dig mine out.
Got it with JR dated 23rd of August 1970 number 005000 so I suppose that makes me officially an ’ old timer ’
Regards Allan

Mrsteel:
Bookworm
Hi Mike
Just read the post on HGV licences, prompted me to dig mine out.
Got it with JR dated 23rd of August 1970 number 005000 so I suppose that makes me officially an ’ old timer ’
Regards Allan

Does that surprise me you still have it !

Ianto Full Pelt
Got the one that followed it as well !
Regards
Mr Steel

Bookworm:

vanman99:

ERF-NGC-European:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Simon, does that mean you were just a slip of a lad when you were on the tools at JR? Best Wishes Mike Cockel

Indeed I was Mike :smiley: and slip I was & wish I was now, I could hide behind a lamp post back then! hope all is well with you and yours? Running seven of my own vans now, after being on the spanners comes in handy for keeping 'em running

Wynns Diamond T.

NMP

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Indeed I was Mike :smiley: and slip I was & wish I was now, I could hide behind a lamp post back then! hope all is well with you and yours? Running seven of my own vans now, after being on the spanners comes in handy for keeping 'em running
[/quote]
Hi boys,
I’ve some photos of those 80’s J.R. Days,I remember us changing the engine on your MK2 ■■■■■■ in the old Waterton garage Simon,Great days…
Regards Andrew.

Hi all,
You just got to love a Ford Transcontinental.An iconic truck imo.

I like transcons regards rowly

rward:
I like transcons regards rowly

Seasons greetings Rowly, I’ll get down to you one day mate cheers Buzzer.