South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

smallcoal:
Hi Chris,was it this crossing you went over

John,
Was that the crossing by Llewellyns Quay, blocked off now?

pete smith:

smallcoal:

John,

Hi Pete port talbot has gone to rack and ruin the town is s**t I was born in p Talbot it used to be nice once been in Cornelly now 7 years with coops sis in law ,I remember waiting at the crossing for my uncle to come out of joints yard then go with him for a spin as a youngster happy days then

smallcoal:

pete smith:

smallcoal:

John,

Hi Pete port talbot has gone to rack and ruin the town is s**t I was born in p Talbot it used to be nice once been in Cornelly now 7 years with coops sis in law ,I remember waiting at the crossing for my uncle to come out of joints yard then go with him for a spin as a youngster happy days then

Hi John,
I used to do a far bit of work for a company down by Runtech and the lads there used to comment about exactly the same thing as you, my reply was Wolverhampton is no different lads!
Joint’s yard was on the left hand side, a company that runs hiab motors parks in there now?

I think Port Talbot Chemicals belonged to a company called Lane Brothers who had a site in Lysaghts (BSC) steelworks at Scunthorpe.They were benzole and tar refiners and ran their own transport,later known as Benzene Transport and based in Staveley Chemicals Chesterfield.

This is not my photo of a Lane Bros. Atki,maybe rings a bell with some of our older Welsh lads.

Valley Carriers from Barry 1966.

wales valley 66 psw.PNG

Hi all,
Great input boys.I hear what everyone is saying,my take is,Port Talbot is in real decline,the town has paid a high price having The Abbey on its doorstep.Port Talbot needs that steelworks,without that there will be nothing.weve all known that for years.Thanks for the Valley Carriers photo Dean.

Hi all,
I heard last night that Bob Pearce’s funeral is 02/10/18 at Porthcawl road cemetery at 12.30.Afterwards at the RAFA club in Station Hill,a favourite watering hole for Bob.
regards Andrew.

Hello Andrew, thanks for the info. regarding Bobs funeral, unfortunately my Velindre treatment is at 12:00 on that day followed by a consultation so its unlikely I will get back in time.
Please give my regards to ASG when you see him, Best Wishes, Mike

Bookworm:
Hello Andrew, thanks for the info. regarding Bobs funeral, unfortunately my Velindre treatment is at 12:00 on that day followed by a consultation so its unlikely I will get back in time.
Please give my regards to ASG when you see him, Best Wishes, Mike

Hi Mike,
Hi Mike,
Thanks for that.Ive just returned from visiting a life long mate in Bridgend hospital and he was in good spirits and looked better to me,even at this early stage of his treatment,than he has in ages.No need for his name on here,the members that know,will know who I mean.ASG looks in on here regularly Mike.Good luck with your treatment.Be busy in Porthcawl this weekend,Elvis is in town.
Regards Andrew.

Hello Andrew, thanks for the message, this time of year I always look for the Elvis-free zones, Best Wishes. Mike

Chris Webb:
I think Port Talbot Chemicals belonged to a company called Lane Brothers who had a site in Lysaghts (BSC) steelworks at Scunthorpe.They were benzole and tar refiners and ran their own transport,later known as Benzene Transport and based in Staveley Chemicals Chesterfield.

This is not my photo of a Lane Bros. Atki,maybe rings a bell with some of our older Welsh lads.

Hi Chris I thought the chemical works in the old docks was Mechema ?

Hi all,
This old soldier would have worked out of the old aluminium plant on the A465 before Glynneath…

Ianto full pelt:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris I thought the chemical works in the old docks was Mechema ?

Hi Ianto.
You could well be right,it’s a long time ago but that name doesn’t ring a bell.Was there another chemical plant in Port Talbot? I went in Baglan Bay and LLandarcy many times but only twice to the one in Pt Talbot.

Aberthaw & Bristol Channel Portland Cement from 1967.

wales aberthaw 67 psw.PNG

pete 359:
Hi all,
This old soldier would have worked out of the old aluminium plant on the A465 before Glynneath…

Hi Andrew,
Was that the site that held markets and car boot sales on the old A465?

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Andrew,

Hi Pete,
Yes mate,that’s the one,all demolished now! Not 100% sure when it closed tbh.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

pete smith:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Andrew,

Hi Pete,
Yes mate,that’s the one,all demolished now! Not 100% sure when it closed tbh.
Regards Andrew.

Morning Andrew,
Cheer’s for the info, used to have a mooch down the old A465 if I was in no rush!
Forgot to add that S.Priest were based in Wordsley High Street and got bought out by Adam Jones’s, Cheer’s Pete

Hi all,
Great to see these photos of the Kelsan Renault’s.Well over a year after Kelvin sadly left us,the business continues to go from strength to strength…

pete 359:
Hi all,
Great to see these photos of the Kelsan Renault’s.Well over a year after Kelvin sadly left us,the business continues to go from strength to strength…

Seen that by high cross the afternoon looks lovely mate does him proud