South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi all,
Courtesy of Chris Richards,an Illtyd Thomas Cargo that was seen working in 1994.From the GUY motors advertising at that time,a Valley Carriers Big J and bulk tank.

pete 359:
Hi all,
Courtesy of Chris Richards,an Illtyd Thomas Cargo that was seen working in 1994.From the GUY motors advertising at that time,a Valley Carriers Big J and bulk tank.

Morning Andrew,
There was a member on TN that used to drive that Cargo, he frequented the Professional drivers thread mainly, he used to do a Poole and back daily,

“smallcoal” John i think you may find this article intresting from 1963. :smiley:

Click on pages twice to read.

Is Spencer Works still operating ■■ Shut down of the plant cost between £ 300-£400 a minute back in 1963 !!!
What the hell would that cost in todays money ■■? :open_mouth:

Chris Webb:

marktaff:

Chris Webb:
I took this photo up at the TT Grandstand paddock in Douglas Isle of Man a few years ago,maybe 2007. I notice it’s got a Cardiff reg plate so maybe one of you Welsh lads might recognise it.

Hi Chris,
DW was actually a Newport reg back before the change.
Regards Mark

Yes Mark,it changed in 1974 to Cardiff.

Hi Chris,
I stand corrected…my old man had a truck back in the 70s reg RDW it was a 1970 truck and remember it was registered in Newport :blush:

Regards Mark

Hi all,
A Transcon and a 290 F88 (courtesy of Marcus Lester) here from Severnside Continental Freighters…

pete 359:
Hi all,
A Transcon and a 290 F88 (courtesy of Marcus Lester) here from Severnside Continental Freighters…

Hi all, Andrew I think Severnside were based in Pontypool on the Polo Grounds industrial estate. Can’t quite make the phone number out on the door may be Cwmbran! Both those motors look the business.
There was also a Severnside Mechanical Handling, did a lot of work with forklifts iirc.

Paul

Paul John:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi all, Andrew I think Severnside were based in Pontypool on the Polo Grounds industrial estate. Can’t quite make the phone number out on the door may be Cwmbran! Both those motors look the business.
There was also a Severnside Mechanical Handling, did a lot of work with forklifts iirc.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks for that.I think you’re right mate.Another from that area,many years before was this Girling AEC drag.From Torfaen to Gwent and a few John Evans Middle East DAF’s…

1CB87E63-D6C9-4E30-8F83-5742DE515851.jpeg

Hi all,
Very sorry to hear earlier that my dear friend Bob Pearce has passed away.As a truck mad kid 45 plus years ago Bob was very good to me,during my J&M Transport childhood.Bob worked with my father at Joint Motorways in the 60’s.During the 70’s He did many Middle East trips for J&M,as well as years of work all over the Uk and main land Europe.After J&M he drove for Alun S.Griffiths for 20 plus years until his retirement.R.I.P. Bob,your old mates Powell and Sid have got the kettle on…

Hi Andrew,
Sorry to hear the bad news about you friend Bob passing away, more experience and information gone forever :frowning:
I passed one of H.Morgans, 4 wheel Daf I think, on the M4 today, I thought they had finished trading so a surprise to see them still going.
I’m in Aberdare tonight as I’m attending a funeral of one of my customers in the morning so off in a minute to have a few pints in his memory!
Best Regards Pete

hi andrew.sorry about bob helen showed me on fb another good one gone as i been told not many of us left mate and no young generation to take over like we did after our uncle and fathers its become a sad world mate

Hi all,
Thanks for all the text messages and emails etc regarding Bob Pearce passing away.I will update everyone on the funeral arrangements as soon as I know more.Meanwhile,I found this photo online,tbh I didn’t recognise the location.My father did though.This railway crossing was near to where the TESCO store is these days,in Port Talbot…

pete 359:
Hi all,
Thanks for all the text messages and emails etc regarding Bob Pearce passing away.I will update everyone on the funeral arrangements as soon as I know more.Meanwhile,I found this photo online,tbh I didn’t recognise the location.My father did though.This railway crossing was near to where the TESCO store is these days,in Port Talbot…

Bethany square post office to left tesco across road it’s where the bridge is on way to centre I will put some pics on for you Andrew

Hi Andrew Thomas bros coach on Bethany square 2nd pic black building where crossing was ,station rd was the main thoroughfare to the old rd through baglan

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,

Andrew,I remember going over a level crossing in Port Talbot to get to Port Talbot Chemicals,would be 1970.Is that the same one in photo?

Chris Webb:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Andrew,I remember going over a level crossing in Port Talbot to get to Port Talbot Chemicals,would be 1970.Is that the same one in photo?

Hi Chris,that would be the main crossing to the docks ,by the station

Hi Chris,was it this crossing you went over

image.jpeg

Hi all,
Some really old ones here courtesy of Jason Jones.His grandfather was D.Austin Jones from Swansea.

MENs waggins :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lance Biscomb:
MENs waggins :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hey Lance, is the middle bordered an ex Ridings Motor, yellow bucket bottom behind the A, and chrome bumper?..bet Coops may know the answer… :open_mouth:

smallcoal:
Hi Chris,was it this crossing you went over

I’m not sure pal,so long ago. I only went and loaded there a couple of times early 1970 and I think the place closed that year.