South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Ianto full pelt:

Geoff54:

scania81:

rward:
Scania 81 I bet not many know the necks proper name

I would not know Ralph,s surname to be honest?
The last time i saw him he was driving a Catnic Scania passing the Goldstone ground[Brighton,s old football home] in Hove.
Dai

his name was ralph Worthing he was a fearless driver, geoff

Hi Geoff didn,t the neck once work for John Gregory up the Rhondda chocolate brown transcons ?

hello ian my old mate, I don’t remember ralph with john Gregory , he used to take a load of tissues home to caephilly on the weekend and tip two drops in kent by 9.30 on monday

Hi all,
Photo courtesy of Chris Richards.Taken during 1990.The remains of a Brooks of Caerphilly Bedford removal van…

Geoff 54 I’m pretty sure ralf worked for John Greg and always loaded tiles back I worked with ralf on catnic and I could go a bit wat a grafter ralf his. I liked him but couldn’t keep up with him regards rowly

Hi andrew that brooks Lorry was there when I was a boy about 10. Approx 52 years ago Fred brooks seems to think someone bought it to renovate I’m not sure the trailor behind it was used on faberell wallpaper back and for northeast Chris Richards must have worked for them do you think regards rowly

rward:
Geoff 54 I’m pretty sure ralf worked for John Greg and always loaded tiles back I worked with ralf on catnic and I could go a bit wat a grafter ralf his. I liked him but couldn’t keep up with him regards rowly

hello rowly, I worked with ralph for some time and found him a good guy if you see him tell him I’m asking about him regards geoff

Google found us these.

pete 359:
Hi all,
Photo courtesy of Chris Richards.Taken during 1990.The remains of a Brooks of Caerphilly Bedford removal van…

Hi Andrew, what a fantastic photo lovely bit of Nostalgia. To think that old van was still in that condition in 1990, that’s some Luton they must have been standing up turning the steering wheel when it was full

Hi all,
I remember seeing the Allan T.Rogers tippers,I think this was one of their last?

5EF4A569-857A-447D-AEDC-CFDAC03DACFD.jpeg

pete 359:

Saw this on Twitter a while back, I thought the one in your image looked familiar Andrew

marktaff:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Andrew, what a fantastic photo lovely bit of Nostalgia. To think that old van was still in that condition in 1990, that’s some Luton they must have been standing up turning the steering wheel when it was full

Hi Marktaff,
Thanks,here is another Brooks of Caerphilly removal van.Again courtesy of Chris Richards.A Leyland seen near Newcastle Emlyn.Rowly? I’m guessing? That Brooks’ were a very old established company? I notice on the Leyland the welsh pronunciation of Your town.

A couple of welsh registered BRS motors for Scania81…

Yes andrew brooks are a very old company the Welsh spelling came when young Fred brooks took over 72 years old he is now his wife nony and girls are big on Welsh speaking I grew up around brooks as a nipper my old man . Brothers. Cousins. Friends I still got today all worked there regards rowly.

rward:
Yes andrew brooks are a very old company the Welsh spelling came when young Fred brooks took over 72 years old he is now his wife nony and girls are big on Welsh speaking I grew up around brooks as a nipper my old man . Brothers. Cousins. Friends I still got today all worked there regards rowly.

Hi Rowly,
Thanks for the information.Very much like I was last Saturday in Caerphilly ,I was blown away again today by another Swedish lorry,this time a SCANIA.My first drive of the next generation R series,very impressive drive Tbf.Though I cannot get used to it’s “distinctive look”.
Just to remind us all how South Wales bulk haulage used to be,an Earnie Maidment Marathon and rib sided bulker,with a sheet that is a world away from the remote control electric sheeting systems fitted now…

We got a couple of them scanias based in our Scotland depot they do look nice ,also fh volvos based in old bury

image.jpeg

Ok so I know it’s an ex Wincanton ERF.Though I can’t think where I know Rom River from?

pete 359:
Hi all,
I remember seeing the Allan T.Rogers tippers,I think this was one of their last?

Hi all. Andrew talking of sheets. Allan T Rogers was a company that brought the need for sheets or nets to the coal boards attention.
Back in or around 1982 he had some F7s with quarry bodies and spill boards running from Britannia Colliery to the Penallta blending plant. They spilt more coal than anyone running in and out of there from all over S.Wales. Residents complained and sheets were mandated.
At least the Leyland has a decent bulk body. They also had some Iveco’s, the ones with the Fiat cab, not the Deutz one that lots of firms ran!

Regards Paul

Hi Andrew, joints had one similar wae287t was this ex Wincanton or bought

image.jpeg

pete 359:
Ok so I know it’s an ex Wincanton ERF.Though I can’t think where I know Rom River from?

Pete 359 the erf is Newport brs contract pulling reinforcing bars out of rogerstone all the best alan