South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Andrew go to page 179 rom river discussion on that page they were rebar company in Risca I looked them up on google and trucknetuk came up clicked on it and that’s the page it took me to cheers John

Rom River have a large factory in Lichfield where they make welded mesh. Used to do the occasional load of wire coils in there out of Alpha steel for NS Clarke’s.

Coated metals pontardulias

image.jpeg

pete 359:

marktaff:

pete 359:
Hi all,
Photo courtesy of Chris Richards.Taken during 1990.The remains of a Brooks of Caerphilly Bedford removal van…

Hi Andrew, what a fantastic photo lovely bit of Nostalgia. To think that old van was still in that condition in 1990, that’s some Luton they must have been standing up turning the steering wheel when it was full

Hi Marktaff,
Thanks,here is another Brooks of Caerphilly removal van.Again courtesy of Chris Richards.A Leyland seen near Newcastle Emlyn.Rowly? I’m guessing? That Brooks’ were a very old established company? I notice on the Leyland the welsh pronunciation of Your town.

Hi Andrew,
Yes that’s another proper removal van Marsden bodied Andrew…i dont think Brooks bought this one from New … I think this Leyland was an X GB Liners…very popular with GB’s had quite a few of them good work horses basic engines…Aspee’s Removals Bridgend have also bought a lot of X GB Liners trucks to over the last few years…just a bit of useless imfo lol…I’m sure like you say Rowly would remember more about Brooks.

Hi all,
An AX registration tells me it started life in South Wales and Chepstow is just inside the border.Other than that,I’ve no ideas what this vehicle is!

pete 359:
Hi all,
An AX registration tells me it started life in South Wales and Chepstow is just inside the border.Other than that,I’ve no ideas what this vehicle is!

Morning Andrew,
It looks like its built on a bus chassis, maybe an Albion Oil Engine badge on radiator grill,?

pete 359:
Ok so I know it’s an ex Wincanton ERF.Though I can’t think where I know Rom River from?

Hello Andrew Rom River had a yard just up from Braces bakery in Crospenmaen ind. est . don’t know if they are still going now ?

[attachment=

0]201711

_131253.jpg[/attachment]

marktaff:
[attachment=

0]201711

_131253.jpg[/attachment]

One for smallcoal just to remind him of Johnnie Brimfield

marktaff:

marktaff:
[attachment=

0]201711

_131253.jpg[/attachment]

One for smallcoal just to remind him of Johnnie Brimfield

Bare with me first time uploading photo :slight_smile:

Hi all, marktaff, the previous pic of the Bedford brought back memories for me driving a similar one. I didn’t drive them for a living,I worked as a vehicle tester, taking vehicles and trailers for their MOTs and road testing all vehicles that were worked on at a Bedford dealership in West London.
One Friday afternoon I was coming back to the garage with a taller than usual pentactacon when I realised I was heading for a low bridge. Couldn’t see any double deckers about with little chance of turning around. Decided to at least get close enough to see if I could fit under it. Opened the door and the alarm goes off, this van had all kinds of security gadgets back in 1984. By the time I reset them I had quickly built up a crowd. Having glanced at the bridge I thought I could pass under it, and sure enough I did. A minute or two later, three or four double deckers passed me going the opposite way. I must admit I felt a fool for a while, but best to be safe than sorry.

Regards,
Paul

Paul John:
Hi all, marktaff, the previous pic of the Bedford brought back memories for me driving a similar one. I didn’t drive them for a living,I worked as a vehicle tester, taking vehicles and trailers for their MOTs and road testing all vehicles that were worked on at a Bedford dealership in West London.
One Friday afternoon I was coming back to the garage with a taller than usual pentactacon when I realised I was heading for a low bridge. Couldn’t see any double deckers about with little chance of turning around. Decided to at least get close enough to see if I could fit under it. Opened the door and the alarm goes off, this van had all kinds of security gadgets back in 1984. By the time I reset them I had quickly built up a crowd. Having glanced at the bridge I thought I could pass under it, and sure enough I did. A minute or two later, three or four double deckers passed me going the opposite way. I must admit I felt a fool for a while, but best to be safe than sorry.

Regards,
Paul

:laughing: Hi Paul,
Yes if you’ve not driven some thing that high before can be a bit alarming for the first time approaching a bridge especially around inner London mate…not to bad if you had a porter with you could have watched you under…would have thought there are a few on the forum could tell a couple of stories about Low Bridges…I’ve witnessed a few miss judged bridges over the years…then you would get the usaul quote off the driver “I’ve been under that bridge before”…Yes in a lower vehicle :smiley:

Another courtesy of Chris Richards.thanks for the help with Rom River.

Hi Paul talk about hitting bridges 30 years ago jobs coming up night trunk to Canary Wharf piece of ■■■■ I went to see director my mate said Ken give that job to my best mate il do a week knights to show him the ropes ok he said you will get me hung start 4 weeks as I went through the door I said hope he passes his test he went mad so thankfully he passed with the heads of the valley training school so he came every night with me and I said never come up the Thames embankment with a topped trailer coz we got high guards 5 night do change over at wharf topped trailer coming back it had been damaged guard hit over i thought il get under bridges on embankment instead of going around bang smash wallop got away with it he still takes the ■■■■ to this day a bit of useless info regards rowly

Now as for rom river I collect there now and then I buy 16x8 mesh good firm but you catch the foreman in the wrong day look out regards rowly

marktaff:
[attachment=

0]201711

_131253.jpg[/attachment]

:smiley: lovely pic mate I remember when I drove Jones,s one good times cheers John

Owens.

pete 359:
Another courtesy of Chris Richards.thanks for the help with Rom River.

A blast from the past there , in 1985 I had a second hand Foden 6x4 unit with the consecutive number , B247ATH . I always wondered where it came from , it was battleship grey with an air kit . The fitters said the hydraulics were for a walking floor setup , and super singles on the drive axles would have supported that idea . It was a total nail anyway , gutless Roller 290 and after 6 months the power steering drive sheered and chewed the timing gear up . I left not long after , glad to see the back of it . Dave .

bridgend:

pete 359:
Ok so I know it’s an ex Wincanton ERF.Though I can’t think where I know Rom River from?

Pete 359 the erf is Newport brs contract pulling reinforcing bars out of rogerstone all the best alan

How are you alan are in Scotland now ?