South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

smallcoal:

harry_gill:

pete 359:
Hi all,
Here’s a J.R. Foden at the bottom of jubilee way,many years ago…

Hiya,
First Foden I’ve ever seen in Raymonds livery, did they have many ?.
thanks harry, long retired.

hi harry he only had a handfull his was volvos as his favourites he did have some stratos and seddons cheers john

Hiya,
John I did South Wales on a regular basis many years doing a lot of
abnormal indivisable stuff and my memories when rounding what I
referred to as Raymond’s roundabout was a long row of Atkinson
Borderer’s that always seemed to be there immaterial of time of
day that I passed there, it did give the impression that work had
dried up.

harry_gill:

smallcoal:

harry_gill:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hiya,

hi harry he only had a handfull his was volvos as his favourites he did have some stratos and seddons cheers john

Hiya,
John I did South Wales on a regular basis many years doing a lot of
abnormal indivisable stuff and my memories when rounding what I
referred to as Raymond’s roundabout was a long row of Atkinson
Borderer’s that always seemed to be there immaterial of time of
day that I passed there, it did give the impression that work had
dried up.

They are no longer there it all changed they got a Toby ,offices where the trucks were parked I drove for them in 94 you would park your car in your truck space it was all numbered with the reg of your truck

harry_gill:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hiya,

Hello Harry,
J.R. Had four Foden’s during the 80’s.Two A reg,s and two B Reg,s.All 6x4 and powered by ■■■■■■■■■■■■ of them also had four unusual sized super singles on their drive axles.Happy new year H.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

harry_gill:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hiya,

Hello Harry,
J.R. Had four Foden’s during the 80’s.Two A reg,s and two B Reg,s.All 6x4 and powered by ■■■■■■■■■■■■ of them also had four unusual sized super singles on their drive axles.Happy new year H.
Regards Andrew.

I got a Foden 6x4 exactly as you describe , except mine was Rolls powered . I know it came from S Wales and was painted battleship grey with an air deflector on the roof . I often wondered who had it new , the driver was a fat barsteward 'cos the seat was knackered at 2 years old . Dave

pete 359:

harry_gill:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hiya,

Hello Harry,
Regards Andrew.

Hiya,
Thanks for info Andrew and a very Happy and Prosperous New Year
to you and everybody in your part of the world.

Hi all,
I took this photo outside work around 1982/3.Its Prails’ Diamond T AEC engined wrecker,as mentioned on DeanB’s thread earlier today.Shes towing a dead Leyland 6 wheeler into south Cornelly industrial estate.

Image of ■■■■ Hopkins (RIP) in his Foden on Jubilee Way Dover brought back memories of when I meet him at Upton On Severn for an overnight stop. He was driving a Black Foden Demo fitted with a Catapillar engine the size of which I cannot remember, it went very well and he loved it. Having not seen the truck I jumped in with ■■■■ to have a look at it. I had the grand tour of the truck by ■■■■ and I had ended up playing about with night heater, not your bog standard set the temp and then it ran or stopped, this had a timer and a second control in the bunk panel. It was a very nice summer evening and went into Upton to have a couple or more pints.

The following morning ■■■■ was not a happy man, the night heater had been running most of the night after my messing with the settings, just what you need on a warm night. He could turn the temp down but could not turn the blower off.

Within half an hour he was back to his best and the nice guy he always was. Amazing that a photo taken all those years ago can bring back such memories.

E142:
Image of ■■■■ Hopkins (RIP) in his Foden on Jubilee Way Dover brought back memories of when I meet him at Upton On Severn for an overnight stop. He was driving a Black Foden Demo fitted with a Catapillar engine the size of which I cannot remember, it went very well and he loved it. Having not seen the truck I jumped in with ■■■■ to have a look at it. I had the grand tour of the truck by ■■■■ and I had ended up playing about with night heater, not your bog standard set the temp and then it ran or stopped, this had a timer and a second control in the bunk panel. It was a very nice summer evening and went into Upton to have a couple or more pints.

The following morning ■■■■ was not a happy man, the night heater had been running most of the night after my messing with the settings, just what you need on a warm night. He could turn the temp down but could not turn the blower off.

Within half an hour he was back to his best and the nice guy he always was. Amazing that a photo taken all those years ago can bring back such memories.

Hi David,
I know what you mean about photos,certain images can instantly trigger a memory.

Hi all,
A couple of screenshots here of the John Raymond 1733 Mercedes ROCKWOOL video that i was lent by trucknet member jb1977 recently.

Hi all,
Two here courtesy of trucknet member gah1950.The remains of a Barry Cosslett Scammell Routeman,that was previously owned by ■■■■ Westcott from porthcawl.

hi all,
Anyone remember pantdu motors?This shot was their base next door to Fletchers (LEYLAND agents) in port talbot,located very close to the M4…

pete 359:
hi all,
Anyone remember pantdu motors?This shot was their base next door to Fletchers (LEYLAND agents) in port talbot,located very close to the M4…

Hi Andrew yes I remember them blue line had a scammell off them I think it’s in that line up ,that name I was trying to remember was Jeff Thomas from 10 acre wood owned Subaru then the car sales in acacia ave cheers John

Happy New Year to all.

Paul

Happy new year to all trucknetuk members :smiley:

Hi all,
A great J&M shot here of Dai Boon standing by a fairly new F88 STG 993M,tipping at a construction site in Cwmbran.A couple of years later,I remember my father painting and fitting a new cab on this F88,after Trevor Griffiths r.ip. hit the only steel bodied tipper in Turkey with it,according to my dear life long friend Alun Griffiths,Trevor’s son.
Happy 2018 everyone.

Hi all,
A shot of some Christie Tyler NG Mrcs here, courtesy of Laurie Daughton,there were a lot of welsh drivers on the furniture,in the days before the explosion in Chinese manufacturing.

A0BA734F-3E2F-492A-ADC4-CC336AA383CF.jpeg

Hi all, Andrew I think the Merc’s were Ryder contract motors. They would put the most basic vehicle into service with little regard for the driver. It looks as if they were M cabs/half the length of a full sleeper cab. They used to run all over the country back then. Do you remember the Bedford TLs with sleeper pods?
I met one of their drivers in Dundee, he told me he would sleep in the trailer most of the time!

Paul

Paul John:
Hi all, Andrew I think the Merc’s were Ryder contract motors. They would put the most basic vehicle into service with little regard for the driver. It looks as if they were M cabs/half the length of a full sleeper cab. They used to run all over the country back then. Do you remember the Bedford TLs with sleeper pods?
I met one of their drivers in Dundee, he told me he would sleep in the trailer most of the time!

Paul

Hi Paul,
Not the most attractive design of Bedford sleeper cab tractor unit.I gather they were known amongst the Christie drivers as “Magic Mushrooms “…

pete 359:
hi all,

Hí Andrew Pantdu Haulage run about 12 tippers from there . your father would know them . IT was owned by Blue Line Tondu. Dai Cap.
Ihad my first new car from Pantdu Motors in 1973 L .reg Dai Cap.