South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

pete 359:

Paul John:
Hi all, Andrew I think the Merc’s were Ryder contract motors. They would put the most basic vehicle into service with little regard for the driver. It looks as if they were M cabs/half the length of a full sleeper cab. They used to run all over the country back then. Do you remember the Bedford TLs with sleeper pods?
I met one of their drivers in Dundee, he told me he would sleep in the trailer most of the time!

Paul

Hi Paul,
Not the most attractive design of Bedford sleeper cab tractor unit.I gather they were known amongst the Christie drivers as “Magic Mushrooms “…

Hi Andrew,
Jogged a few memories here with these CT photos remember both sets of trucks well. watched the trucks getting bigger and bigger under the Ryder contract…came a long way from the RJ Bown days and the Ford D Series attics and rigids. The sleepers on the D Series tractor units were like coffins but some of the rigids had sleeper lutons they wernt to bad, but bloody cold in the winter no night heaters back then.

dai cap:

pete 359:
hi all,
Anyone remember pantdu motors?This shot was their base next door to Fletchers (LEYLAND agents) in port talbot,located very close to the M4…

Hí Andrew Pantdu Haulage run about 12 tippers from there . your father would know them . IT was owned by Blue Line Tondu. Dai Cap.
Ihad my first new car from Pantdu Motors in 1973 L .reg Dai Cap.

Hi Dai,
Thanks for that,i remember the green and red Scammell’s.We used to paint them when we were based on stormy down.I wasn’t aware of a Blue Line connection though.Learn something new every day.Happy New Year Dai.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

Paul John:
Hi all, Andrew I think the Merc’s were Ryder contract motors. They would put the most basic vehicle into service with little regard for the driver. It looks as if they were M cabs/half the length of a full sleeper cab. They used to run all over the country back then. Do you remember the Bedford TLs with sleeper pods?
I met one of their drivers in Dundee, he told me he would sleep in the trailer most of the time!

Paul

Hi Paul,
Not the most attractive design of Bedford sleeper cab tractor unit.I gather they were known amongst the Christie drivers as “Magic Mushrooms “…

Hi Both, I remember a very good and old family friend, Tony Jordan, stopped overnight near Brecon on his way back after a mystery tour of Lancs, north and mid Wales, wondered why he was late, he called from Brecon hospital needing a lift, he had contracted, due to the mushroom Bedford, Pleurisy! They were absolutely freezing, and red hot in the summer, you would get a better nights kip in the trailer! When I used to go with Tony as a cab rat, we would sleep in the back of the rigid (when he worked for 'Rest Assured) or the trailer, make a ‘tent’ out of the blankets and sleep on some ones ‘new’ mattress or three piece suite! :laughing:

pete 359:
hi all,
Anyone remember pantdu motors?This shot was their base next door to Fletchers (LEYLAND agents) in port talbot,located very close to the M4…

Hi Andrew , Did my class one there in 1975 in an Atki borderer owned by David John David brother of Elfyn David of Blue line if my memory is right CITB were based there .

Ianto full pelt:

pete 359:
hi all,

Hi Andrew , Did my class one there in 1975 in an Atki borderer owned by David John David brother of Elfyn David of Blue line if my memory is right CITB were based there .

Hi Ian,
That’s another thing I’ve learned about that place.Happy new year.
Regards Andrew.

Hi all,
As a truck mad 1970’s kid,the scammell crusader was to me,the coolest looking British truck ever built.The fine fleet of W.G.Davies of landore had some very well cared for examples.

pete 359:

Ianto full pelt:

pete 359:
hi all,

Hi Ian,
Regards Andrew.

Happy new year to you as well Andrew I must correct myself it was RTITB !

Ianto full pelt:

pete 359:

Ianto full pelt:

pete 359:
hi all,

Hi Ian,
Regards Andrew.

Happy new year to you as well Andrew I must correct myself it was RTITB !

Hi Ianto full pelt I dont think your are quite right there David John David split up with the family in the mid 50 s and went on is own .He had A E C Unit and 2 trailers running out of the paper mills . that got wrote off and then he had a Foden 4 wheeler. he dident last very long . then the old man Dai David started cutting the A E C 8 Wheelers down to tract units . I think David John drove for him for bit .the last I headrd of him he was the transport manger for Holloway,s in Port Talbot . Dai Cap.

Hi Andrew,off deans page I trying to think what his name is

image.jpeg

smallcoal:

Hi John,
I asked a few of the chaps earlier today.They all agreed with what I thought,the late Peter Lewis (R.I.P).
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

smallcoal:

Hi John,
I asked a few of the chaps earlier today.They all agreed with what I thought,the late Peter Lewis (R.I.P).
Regards Andrew.

Hi Andrew,it’s a great shot of him with scrap bales RIP Peter

Hello Dai Cap / I was sure that he was something to do with Pantdu . I wish my father was still about don’t forget I am not as old as you and have to rely on stories from our elders . Cheers Ian .

Ianto full pelt:
Hello Dai Cap / I was sure that he was something to do with Pantdu . I wish my father was still about don’t forget I am not as old as you and have to rely on stories from our elders . Cheers Ian .

Hi ian that Driving school was something to do with Blue Line & John Raymond .may be Joint & prothero. set up by the R T I T B. Not quite sure about this .if you could talk to some of the old Boys they may remember something about it. Dai Cap

Hi Dai . I was with JR at that time they paid for my licence spent a week there when that yard in Cwmafan closed they moved to LLansamlet long time ago now . cheers Ian .

dai cap:

Ianto full pelt:

Hi ian that Driving school was something to do with Blue Line & John Raymond .may be Joint & prothero. set up by the R T I T B. Not quite sure about this .if you could talk to some of the old Boys they may remember something about it. Dai Cap

Hello Dai,
Your right about the consortium,I remember the late Alun Jones (joint’s boss) telling me about it.They had a V8 mandator with the R.T.I.T.B. In the late 60’s early 70’s,they were popular with driving schools as they had a three seat cab.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

dai cap:

Ianto full pelt:

Hello Dai,
Your right about the consortium,I remember the late Alun Jones (joint’s boss) telling me about it.They had a V8 mandator with the R.T.I.T.B. In the late 60’s early 70’s,they were popular with driving schools as they had a three seat cab.
Regards Andrew.

Might be totally wrong here but listening to old hands in the 70,s was it called the Phoenix Consortium?
They also controlled the rates in the abbey and picked the best work?
Dai

Hi all,
My life long mate Philip “Stan” Evans delivered the main body of a Cat 6015 demolition rig to the midlands yesterday.Around 220 tonne gtw.Apparantly it can demolish a 50 storey tower block in a week.The only thing that slows it down is removing the demolition material from site.A couple of other artics brought the arm and nibblers and a 20 tonne tanker with hydraulic oil.

AECD2702-D715-43B9-BAE3-B9550013EA6F.jpeg