South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi all,
A Rockwool contract J.R. 401 northbound at Forton services,taken by me in 1985.

Class, courtesy of DEANB and Paul C. Gee…

588B22D3-D221-4652-8D2B-5B408C545992.jpeg

Hi all,
I noticed B.E.Williams of sennybridge mentioned on another thread earlier.Here is one of two white road commander 2 that they had.

Can anyone out there tell me what happened to “Tapper” his real name was Alan Squires. He owes me a fiver (probably more) from 1980 I’d love to know where he ended up (lovable old sod)! Last time I saw him he was with MAT transport - Cardiff (1983?).

Hi all,
We said goodbye to a former J&M and Evans transport driver today at Margam crematorium.Ted Champion from porthcawl.I will always remember him driving J&M’s Mandator on the M50 many years ago and it had jumped the governors with no tools at hand all he could do was smash the fuel union on the top of the diesel tank with a brick,whilst the engine screamed at probably twice its normal maximum RPM.My condolences to his son whom I’ve known for many years and now drives for David Howells Transport of Penybryn.R.I.P. Ted.

Hello Andrew, I saw you leading a funeral out of Porthcawl yesterday, I had no idea Ted had passed away, we worked together for years with Glyn Morgan. When I started with him in 1965 there was just Glyn, Ted and Gerry Ravenhill running two tin-front eight leggers and a Guy 6-wheeler. He left Glyn in about 1972 because he couldnt work with Glyns son-in-law any more (who your father was unfortunate to be involved with) and I followed a while later for the same reason. Us oldies are getting thinner on the ground all the time. Best wishes for Christmas, Mike.

Bookworm:
Hello Andrew, I saw you leading a funeral out of Porthcawl yesterday, I had no idea Ted had passed away, we worked together for years with Glyn Morgan. When I started with him in 1965 there was just Glyn, Ted and Gerry Ravenhill running two tin-front eight leggers and a Guy 6-wheeler. He left Glyn in about 1972 because he couldnt work with Glyns son-in-law any more (who your father was unfortunate to be involved with) and I followed a while later for the same reason. Us oldies are getting thinner on the ground all the time. Best wishes for Christmas, Mike.

Hello Mike didn,t Glyn have a lovely Mandator running out of the Abbey if I remember him a very smart dressed man blazer and tie . Have a nice Christmas unfortunately I am in work somebody has to keep the abbey going , by the way I mentioned you to Andrew Whitefoot he asked how you were all the best Ian .

Bookworm:

Hi Mike,
sorry to hear you didn’t know of Ted’s passing.I did mean to text you.I had also forgotten that he had worked for Glyn Morgan.Tbh,thats a welsh haulage firm i only vaguely remember.You kindly gave me/us a photo of the 86’s they ran,i can only remember an F88.Jeff Jones? another distant memory,don’t know whatever happened to him ? again i was very young,back then.Merry christmas to you and your family.
Regards Andrew.

Ianto full pelt:

Bookworm:

Hello Mike didn,t Glyn have a lovely Mandator running out of the Abbey if I remember him a very smart dressed man blazer and tie . Have a nice Christmas unfortunately I am in work somebody has to keep the abbey going , by the way I mentioned you to Andrew Whitefoot he asked how you were all the best Ian .

Hi ianto do you drive for Owens with ianto in the window cheers John

Hi all,
Tony Morgan’s very hard worked 6x4 F12…

smallcoal:

Ianto full pelt:

Bookworm:

No John I used to work for owens some years ago but have been back in the Abbey for the last twelve years you will know my brother Allan Evans aka Mr. Steel . cheers Ian .

Ianto full pelt:

smallcoal:

Ianto full pelt:

Bookworm:

No John I used to work for owens some years ago but have been back in the Abbey for the last twelve years you will know my brother Allan Evans aka Mr. Steel . cheers Ian .

Good god I didn’t realise you were Allan’s brother yes I worked with Allen many moons ago I don’t miss the abbey one bit :smiley: :smiley:

Hi all,
The crusader is the best looking scammell ever built imo.

04AACA42-9F36-474A-B4F4-1C8DECFA4D2E.jpeg

Joint motorways Marathon.

A03626p.JPG

DEANB:
Joint motorways Marathon.

Hi Dean,
Thanks again for kindly sharing all these welsh gems:
Metal box Marathon from Canalside works Neath.
Owens road services Marathon from Dafen Llanelli.
A very early welsh Roadtrain from Memory Lane in llanishen Cardiff.
A very smart DAF from John B.Evans of Newport.
A B series ERF from BELL lines Newport Dock.

C0C0B7CD-103D-4FF0-BC4D-D0D57FF1F290.jpeg

Hi all,
Here’s a J.R. Foden at the bottom of jubilee way,many years ago…

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hiya,
First Foden I’ve ever seen in Raymonds livery, did they have many ?.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hiya,
First Foden I’ve ever seen in Raymonds livery, did they have many ?.
thanks harry, long retired.

hi harry he only had a handfull his was volvos as his favourites he did have some stratos and seddons cheers john