South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

DEANB:
Ellis and Morgan bedford.

Ellis Morgan done a lot of pilkington insulation work and ran a few scania,s.1 of their top men always had Bobby B transfer on the side of his truck.
When on rockwool we were always on drops with them and C.L,collier of Abertillery.
Dai

pete 359:
Hi all,
A high spec tipper from South Wales bulk haulage legends,Alan Price of Bargoed.

Hi all, Andrew that FH is high spec but looks a little dull. Perhaps silver on the grill instead of blue, and a silver bumper, or white on the grill instead of blue and a black bumper with a white line following the contour on the sides. Probably be lucky to carry 18000kgs. The first Ford Cargo on a Y plate with the V6 Deutz could carry 17000kg at 24390 GVW back in 1983.

Regards Paul

Paul John:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi all, Andrew that FH is high spec but looks a little dull. Perhaps silver on the grill instead of blue, and a silver bumper, or white on the grill instead of blue and a black bumper with a white line following the contour on the sides. Probably be lucky to carry 18000kgs. The first Ford Cargo on a Y plate with the V6 Deutz could carry 17000kg at 24390 GVW back in 1983.

Regards Paul

Hi paul,
I wonder how long Price’s have been trading? They are a Proper Welsh tipper firm imo.great to see them flourishing…

IMG_5332.JPG

pete 359:

Paul John:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Regards Paul

Hi paul,
I wonder how long Price’s have been trading? They are a Proper Welsh tipper firm imo.great to see them flourishing…

Hi Pete, The Dodge Tipper is a 1948 reg, If this is anything to go off, Regards Larry.

Hi all,
courtesy of DEANB and the Paul C.Gee collection.An ex J&M Transport F88,RBO 400M was the last 8 speed VOLVO they bought brand new.It may be owned here by Mike Prosser from the forest of dean?

RBO 400M.jpg

When I was on steel haulage out of Sheffield in 1968 I had an Albion Reiver and tipped some bars somewhere near Neath. I rang BRS Swansea for a backload and they sent me into SCOW for 12 tons of plate for Bradford,they may have had an office on site,can’t remember.Anyway,there was two lifts for 12 tons and it had to be banded onto the wagon.However,the two blokes there told me that they had to do the banding but I had to go and fetch the bloody banding machine which was miles away in a shed - well it seemed like miles.
I just wondered if anybody else on here remembers that happening?

Chris Webb:
When I was on steel haulage out of Sheffield in 1968 I had an Albion Reiver and tipped some bars somewhere near Neath. I rang BRS Swansea for a backload and they sent me into SCOW for 12 tons of plate for Bradford,they may have had an office on site,can’t remember.Anyway,there was two lifts for 12 tons and it had to be banded onto the wagon.However,the two blokes there told me that they had to do the banding but I had to go and fetch the bloody banding machine which was miles away in a shed - well it seemed like miles.

Hi Chris when I shunted in the steelworks whenever we loaded plate we had to band it down ourself so we had banding reel and crimping gear they wouldn’t let you out if it wasn’t banded cheers John

smallcoal:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris when I shunted in the steelworks whenever we loaded plate we had to band it down ourself so we had banding reel and crimping gear they wouldn’t let you out if it wasn’t banded cheers John

Thanks for that John.
do you recognise either of these Sth Wales registered Mandators? A E Evans had three AEC artics based in W G Davies’ yard at Morriston in 70s,a bloke called Jock Glover was in charge.I’ve asked around but no joy on the previous owners,any ideas? They are not my photos so apologies in advance and will remove if requested…

evans31.jpg

evans33.jpg

Aye Chris I can clearly remember the loads being banded in the Abbey, all the banding came down from Barrow Steel Works for use on the Signode machines . It was regular more or less every week for the Octopus and trailer and we used to tip in two or three different bays dependant on how much strapping had been used that week. The load was always full wack 15 ton on’t Octopus and 7 ton on’t trailer. Oh! and occasionally we got an extra 5 ton on for Griffiths Town Works ! if there wasn’t owt else going into Wales, the weighbridge bloke used to shake his head at us English , 37ton going in and legal at 32 ton coming out :wink: I once saw them strap a load on one of them old 8 wheelers that used to creep about S.Wales in the later 60’s and they strapped under the chassis and prop shaft with one band, what a ■■■■■■■ noise there was when he started to pull out the bay then a row ensued with words I’d never heard of :open_mouth: Happy days cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Aye Chris I can clearly remember the loads being banded in the Abbey, all the banding came down from Barrow Steel Works for use on the Signode machines . It was regular more or less every week for the Octopus and trailer and we used to tip in two or three different bays dependant on how much strapping had been used that week. The load was always full wack 15 ton on’t Octopus and 7 ton on’t trailer. Oh! and occasionally we got an extra 5 ton on for Griffiths Town Works ! if there wasn’t owt else going into Wales, the weighbridge bloke used to shake his head at us English , 37ton going in and legal at 32 ton coming out :wink: I once saw them strap a load on one of them old 8 wheelers that used to creep about S.Wales in the later 60’s and they strapped under the chassis and prop shaft with one band, what a [zb] noise there was when he started to pull out the bay then a row ensued with words I’d never heard of :open_mouth: Happy days cheers Dennis.

Ha ha Dennis,strapping t’prop shaft as well.Nowt like having a secure prop shaft. :smiley:
Couldn’t they make steel banding in South Wales then? The English getting them out of the s**t? :laughing:

Dennis,

Guessing that the old 8 Wheelers you refer to would have been the legendary Rosser Pontlliw Gems!? :question:

E.W.

Barrow Steel made tons and tons of banding much of it termed “cotton ties” which was shipped down to Liverpool and loaded back on the ships that brought American cotton over so obviously they didn’t produce banding in the U S either. Similar kind of banding was also produced for wrapping around heavy cable which we also ran into the likes of Scottish cables at Renfrew, BICC Liverpool, Conolly cables at Blackley and a cable firm out Blackheath way in London can’t just recall the name. Cheers Dennis.

EW car truck & bus:
Dennis,

Guessing that the old 8 Wheelers you refer to would have been the legendary Rosser Pontlliw Gems!? :question:

E.W.

Yes they were some of Rossers but there was a number of others, they only trundled about local as they were even museum pieces in the 60’s IIRC. Cheers Dennis.

Ha Ha Dennis,

And the Rosser Bros, made them last into early 80’s :smiley:

Allegedly they knew A.E.C. better than A.E.C!

E,W,

EW car truck & bus:
Ha Ha Dennis,

And the Rosser Bros, made them last into early 80’s :smiley:

Allegedly they knew A.E.C. better than A.E.C!

E,W,

And all of them “written down” to £1 each on the balance sheet ! now that would be some “ROC” even the Great Tom Riding couldn’t beat that return. :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Dennis,

Need to look the co. up, maybe they had a Director form Leatherhead to assist with the fine running of the Operations!!! :slight_smile:

E.W.

Chris Webb:

smallcoal:

Chris Webb:

Thanks for that John.
do you recognise either of these Sth Wales registered Mandators? A E Evans had three AEC artics based in W G Davies’ yard at Morriston in 70s,a bloke called Jock Glover was in charge.I’ve asked around but no joy on the previous owners,any ideas? They are not my photos so apologies in advance and will remove if requested…

Hi Chris ,can’t help you on that but the master known as mr coops will have better knowledge on this :slight_smile:

scania81:

scania81:

Ianto full pelt:

bridgend:
Hello dai and ianto. been keeping well in turkey weather been very hot for a good few weeks but times are a changing moving to Scotland by the end of the week so I will be getting rid of my summer gear looking forward to some proper beer ■■■■■■ off with the effes beer over here, all the best to you both Alan.

Hello Alan why aren,t you coming back to Wales . Ianto

Hi ianto,noticed that seddon was code no CG,i know in very old depot codes Cardiff was IG.Later becoming RS in modern numbers.
Wondered if CG was Bridgend in old numbers.[Later SK and then RX].The reg rings a bell and the driver looks very like my late father.
I cannot find my old depot code book any where.He broke is nose as a child on a bus trip[bad bus crash] and very rarely allowed me to go on a trip
with school.Ironic that going down the birdlip with a load of rebar with Eddie Thomas behind the wheel was ok though.
After he retired 1 of the modern drivers was in the office boasting about Wrexham was achieved in 3hrs 45mins,only to be shot down with Eddies dry sense of humour to say it was not that fast 3hrs 15 to 3hrs 25 was is average.Going through Leominster and Ludlow.[he had called in for a tea]
A little longer for a while after Cyrille Richards hit the arch bridge at Symonds Yat,the road was shut for ages,with all mid wales traffic having to push up to the first roundabout at Ross for the A49.Old hands would remember turning left at the little chef and the climb towards Owens Cross,if driving a high sider you had to negotiate the middle of the road and was a little tight if the steel boys were flying down from Shotton .

Hi Scania 81,here’s a list of BRS codes,hope it helps.GH was Swansea.

T.D.Williams Foden.