South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

hi all,
courtesy of the thomas family,a few of their motors parked at poole……

pete 359:
hi all,

Morning Andrew,
I think those Iveco’s are still in their yard, well whats left of them,

pete smith:

pete 359:
hi all,

Morning Andrew,

hi pete,
There are the “STRING VEST REMAINS!” In the cockett yard,just…
regards andrew.

pete 359:

pete smith:

pete 359:
hi all,

Morning Andrew,

hi pete,
There are the “STRING VEST REMAINS!” In the cockett yard,just…
regards andrew.

Paul or his Dad told me they triple shifted them Iveco’s and after 4/5 years they completely worn out

Hi all one of smiths in front of me going into cillefawr ind est Carmarthen today

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

hi all,
An early ergomatic AEC Mandator or maybe even a Mercury? from valley carriers……

IMG_5050.PNG.jpg

Hi all. I was just about to put something on to keep us on page one! Realised it was May Day and everyone has probably been at the beach all day lol.
Looking forward to rain here tonight, 8 inches below normal levels, record breaking temperatures and its not even summer. The whole state of Florida is dangerously dry.

If I was pulling that load of tyres on the Smiths trailer, I’d feel a little more comfortable with a few more straps or good old rope on it.

Regards Paul.

pete 359:
hi all,

Hiya,
Surely a Mandator, a Mercury pulling a loaded tandem axle trailer a bit much even
for the private sector, Mercury’s only ever pulled single axle jobs on the BRS.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

pete 359:
hi all,

Hiya,
Surely a Mandator, a Mercury pulling a loaded tandem axle trailer a bit much even

■■

e2632.jpg

TIDDERSON:

harry_gill:

pete 359:
hi all,

Hiya,

■■

Now that’s a very interesting picture. Van Gend & Loos was almost Holland’s answer to BRS in that it was a very large nationwide carrier; though I’ve no idea whether it was nationalised. I always find early pictures of BRS units pulling foreign trailers before dock traction became fashionable, fascinating. Robert

smallcoal:
Hi all one of smiths in front of me going into cillefawr ind est Carmarthen today

Our pot carrier tyres John .

robert1952:

TIDDERSON:

harry_gill:

pete 359:
hi all,

Hiya,

■■

Now that’s a very interesting picture. Van Gend & Loos was almost Holland’s answer to BRS in that it was a very large nationwide carrier; though I’ve no idea whether it was nationalised. I always find early pictures of BRS units pulling foreign trailers before dock traction became fashionable, fascinating. Robert

Van Gend & Loos was part of the Dutch railways organisation- I’m not sure whether it was nationalised though. They were also part owners of Fransen Transport (when my Dad was a Fransen subbie in the 70’s, I remember that their yard inn Waalhaven, Rotterdam was jointly used by Fransen and Van Gend & Loos). Both Fransen and V G & L passed to Nedlloyd ownership in the mid 80’s, that included Fransen Transport Uk aswell - though Fransen UK went out of business in the late 90’s - I think that they were no longer part of Nedlloyd at that point - didn’t Pulleyn own Fransen in the end - anyone?? Incidently, Fransen Uk was originally based in Hereford - so almost qualify for the South Wales thread, almost…

What was V G & L is now part of DHL apparently.

hi all,
a classic W.G.Davies crusader.

hi all,
a very recent photo taken in scotland of an ex G.E.Keedwell scammell.

pete 359:
hi all,
a very recent photo taken in scotland of an ex G.E.Keedwell scammell.

Hi Andrew where was that taken in Scotland ,is the porthcawl truck show going ahead this year or is it to early I going to send you a pm cheers John

Hi John,

Hi all,
A couple here from Hicks of Newport.