South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

hi all,
Transcontinental from rosslare also had an office at caldicot for a while.i think this welsh registered DAF was based there?

Hi all,
I met up with david beer today.the J&M reunion is next Friday 19/05/17.the location is the llangewydd arms at broad lands in Bridgend.david kindly let me copy these following pictures,all images supplied courtesy of trucknet member Scania 81.first of all,a J&M Transcon in the north east.

Hi all,
Three more images all courtesy of scania81.Bridgend BRS.

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG

pete 359:

Hiya
Andrew do you think you could make the laddie stand in front of the eight
they were horrible things if your trailer wasn’t empty.
thanks harry, long retired.

Harry , I hope you are going to the Labour Club Bash on the 20th, I have some real high voltage nectars, Only for the proper whiskey men like you & I plus Crowbar of course, Hope to see you there, Regards Larry.

Hi all,
Some more courtesy of member scania81.

IMG_2027.JPG

The brs Transcon ended up at r&b transport in Caerphilly with my brother driving it

rward:
The brs Transcon ended up at r&b transport in Caerphilly with my brother driving it

Hi Rowly,
It’s funny you mentioned that! When I saw the photo initially,I thought I’d seen that truck before.there was a photo you shared a while back that showed the registration.
Regards andrew.

pete 359:

VHO 499V and WHO 967V day cab 81,s arrived 2nd hand from Bovey tracey commercials.
LAA 983T was clocking up mileage so my late dad swooped on 499V being in immaculate condition and kept the same fleet number RXG 314.
This photo was around June 82.WHO 967V went outbased to shrewsbury[Jerry Griffiths and Ray cowley].
The Rockwool leyland was taken around the corner of wickes southampton,i was holiday cover for Clive williams[mouse].
The 111 had a sister MTC 478R and my guess was a return load.Johnny Morgan drove it a lot on nights and was once in original red.
The other picture of the rockwool motor was taken in 89 outside sheffield insulation ivybridge lee mill ind est.
I am sure the transcon was a demo from bowns and was put into Brs newport depot.
For some odd reason a deal was struck and David powell the shop steward had it on nights.
It had the bunk took out and was put on the Cheetham hill night trunk.

scania81:

pete 359:

VHO 499V and WHO 967V day cab 81,s arrived 2nd hand from Bovey tracey commercials.
LAA 983T was clocking up mileage so my late dad swooped on 499V being in immaculate condition and kept the same fleet number RXG 314.
This photo was around June 82.WHO 967V went outbased to shrewsbury[Jerry Griffiths and Ray cowley].
The Rockwool leyland was taken around the corner of wickes southampton,i was holiday cover for Clive williams[mouse].
The 111 had a sister MTC 478R and my guess was a return load.Johnny Morgan drove it a lot on nights and was once in original red.
The other picture of the rockwool motor was taken in 89 outside sheffield insulation ivybridge lee mill ind est.
I am sure the transcon was a demo from bowns and was put into Brs newport depot.
For some odd reason a deal was struck and David powell the shop steward had it on nights.

Hi,
Thanks for the information and sharing your photos.

pete 359:

scania81:

pete 359:

Hi,

You are very welcome Mr Cooper,
The seddon is pulling a boden 15ft 6inches,Trxg398 to Trxg 402 trailer and were mostly used transporting paper reels for B.Tissues Wrexham from Maesteg.[they had no back doors]
You had to go over Aber baiden and come out by the fountain inn,then up that steep hill to cefn and down the back lane into Laleston or you would
rearrange the bridge in tondu.
UHU 864N [sk270] was driven by Eddie Thomas who give me the picture,in about 77 Johnny Harding would tip B,tissues Slough and backload Mars on nights with 1 where i met a younger Dai Carrington[J. Raymond] who was Johnnys son in law.

pete 359:

The 111 was brand new to Steve parry with a load of finished tissue goods on.
2 arrived along with a 81 day cab,MLJ 962W [111 sleeper which ended up a wrecker somewhere and the 81 was JDW 296W].
Never went up the road in either but tipped a load of wood pulp up the mill after nights with 1.[late dad driving].
Some trailers they could not couple up without hitting the sleeper.
The Rockwool roadtrain was new to Nick Ironside,a batch of 4 added to the contract.
They were on a different deal to the scanias and were sent further,saving Rockwool money till the drivers had used up their hours by friday.
The 111 by the bowyers f86 was at the lorry driver of the year event where bill blake the fitter entered.
Batch of 3 driven by victor the pole and Mervyn bator.[81also added THU 97S same year].
It was a flying machine,the turntable sat different and many a driver had to use slow wind to couple up.

scania81:

pete 359:

scania81:

pete 359:

Good morning,
Thanks again for that information.when you say Eddie thomas? Was he from porthcawl? We have a family friend Eddie thomas who I know drove for Protheroe.i wondered if it was him?
Regards andrew.

Hi,

You are very welcome Mr Cooper,
The seddon is pulling a boden 15ft 6inches,Trxg398 to Trxg 402 trailer and were mostly used transporting paper reels for B.Tissues Wrexham from Maesteg.[they had no back doors]
You had to go over Aber baiden and come out by the fountain inn,then up that steep hill to cefn and down the back lane into Laleston or you would
rearrange the bridge in tondu.
UHU 864N [sk270] was driven by Eddie Thomas who give me the picture,in about 77 Johnny Harding would tip B,tissues Slough and backload Mars on nights with 1 where i met a younger Dai Carrington[J. Raymond] who was Johnnys son in law.

Hi,
The Eddie thomas you mentioned? Was he from porthcawl?
Regards andrew.

pete 359:
Hi,
The Eddie thomas you mentioned? Was he from porthcawl?
Regards andrew.

From Cymmer but lived in North Cornelly.
You should have a photo with a 2200 daf with him in.
He worked for the old D. David years ago and the N and C coaches.

Hi all,
Another pair of images courtesy of scania81.

IMG_2035.JPG

pete 359:
Hi all,
Another pair of images courtesy of scanua81.

Typical day at Llandow hanger 2.
Mike Evans is to the left who drove MLJ 962W[111 sleeper].
Billy James in the middle who served over 40 years[RIP]and to the right is Spencer Chillcot who drove for Jones motors Kenfig Hill and J and M stormy.[RIP].

The Daf 22oo was a batch of 4 and lacked power fully loaded with a back to front gearbox.
From a young cab rat,s point of view it was very comfy with the arm rests.
Victor the pole had 1 and he loved it.1 went to Shrewsbury.

scania81:

pete 359:
Hi all,
Another pair of images courtesy of scanua81.

Typical day at Llandow hanger 2.
Mike Evans is to the left who drove MLJ 962W[111 sleeper].
Billy James in the middle who served over 40 years[RIP]and to the right is Spencer Chillcot who drove for Jones motors Kenfig Hill and J and M stormy.[RIP].

The Daf 22oo was a batch of 4 and lacked power fully loaded with a back to front gearbox.
From a young cab rat,s point of view it was very comfy with the arm rests.
Victor the pole had 1 and he loved it.1 went to Shrewsbury.

Now that’s what you call proper sheeting and roping youngsters wouldn’t have a clue today cheers John