Some Old Seddon's

Thats the last of the pics, I hope that somebody enjoyed them. :wink:

mushroomman:
Thats the last of the pics, I hope that somebody enjoyed them. :wink:

Yes indeed MM, Great stuff :smiley:

mushroomman:
I remember all to well starting work at 6 a.m. on a cold dark winters morning in Manchester, climbing on top of a load of 45 gallon drums, sometimes two pallets high. Rolling out the sheets and hearing the ice cracking on top of the drums where ever you put your feet. Clinging very carefully to the drums or the pallets as you tried to make your way down to the ground safely, often in dimly lit places. Tying a dolly knot with one leg further behind the other, in case the knot slipped and stopped you ending up sitting on your arse. Pulling on the ropes and feeling that icy cold dirty water running down your sleeve, often you would be dirty even before you turned a wheel. Loading flat trailers at 2 a.m. when you are the night loader and trying to fold the sheets when it was very windy. :frowning:
And I have never met anybody who has roped and sheeted a load of Carbon Black in one ton bags and said that they had enjoyed it, I certainly didn’t. My wife and I were having heated arguments years ago about Carbon Footprints, the ones that I usually left behind on the hall carpet. :slight_smile: I never even went around with a yard stick to make sure that all the knots were in a straight line above the chock rail.
If I felt that I could get away with just using a fly sheet or a barrel net and felt confident that the load was safe and secure, then I was happy with that. If it didn’t look like it was going to rain then I never messed about using two sheets and a fly, O.K. if I was doing distance work, then I might of used the lot.

Can you imagine doing this in todays health and safety concious world :open_mouth::wink:
Ive only roped and sheeted around a dozen loads when i did my time at Jack Richards so im no expert here but had a good tutor, David Smith (now sadly passed away). Everything was sheeted at Barnards fencing products on Salhouse road in Norwich (now gone) which we had the contract for and we had one guy there 5 days a week doing nothing but roping and sheeting trailers all day :open_mouth: :open_mouth::frowning::wink:

Forgot to say, some superb pictures there Mushroom man, thanks for sharing them :sunglasses:
Out of interest, what would the artics be plated at, say the Parks of Northwich truck for instance?

Cheers- Andy

Hi Andy, to be honest I have no idea, I was hoping that somebody would be able to help you out with that question.
How ever it is interesting to note that some of the weights, like the B.R.S. unit has written on the fuel tank unladen weight 4-- 15–2. That is 4 ton 15 c.w.t.
( hundredweight ) and 2 stone.
The Park’s motor has unladen weight 7 ton 18 c.w.t. 0 q (quatrers ) 0 l.b.s.
The old coal men would of been lost with out their c.w.t.s and l.b.s. :slight_smile:

What an amazing set of pictures and memories. Thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

The livery of the Hull and Glasgow 8 legger is from

H Falkingham Transport
Transport House
James Reckitt Avenue
Hull

I wonder if this particular one was prepared for the motor show or something. I think normally the bodies and painting would be done in house at the haulage companies.

keep them coming, especially these.

Wheel Nut:
What an amazing set of pictures and memories. Thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

The livery of the Hull and Glasgow 8 legger is from

H Falkingham Transport
Transport House
James Reckitt Avenue
Hull

I wonder if this particular one was prepared for the motor show or something. I think normally the bodies and painting would be done in house at the haulage companies.

keep them coming, especially these.

Yes,nice photos thanks for posting them mushroomman. :smiley:
That’s a really good shot of the Hull and Glasgow 8-legger Malc,I remember them well. I didn’t realise they were part of Falkinghams,who I also remember.I suppose they’ve “pulled t’pin” ?

It seems as though Falkys have gone too, although the family have links in other businesses in Hull.

It seems as though the yard is a small industrial estate now. Info from any local yokels would be welcome

early 1979, on Birchwood airfield Warrington, Ryland vehicles demonstrator, I seem to remember it was the first sed atki truck with the 290 big cam, not sure if it had a range change or and twin split. Got into bother with Rylands sales director for driving round with an ERF jacket on !!

Nice motor in its day.

Those old Seddon pics are excellent quality you would think they had been taken last week not 50 years ago and to think many more got burnt because someone thought nobody would be interested in them, what a shame. Franky.

revman:

some old rotherham seddons revman

Heres a little gem for you Seddon lads.Shes sat in this barn for15 years.

John

Just thought i would throw this one in ,of a company now long gone.

mushroomman:
Anybody remember this company :question: .

Remember? they’re still going Clicky

OK I’m dragging this up from the past but some great photos here.
I’ve just found a box of old slides amongst which is a picture of my first artic, the quality is awful as it was taken in 1971, probably with a pinhole camera and late in the day as that’s the only time we stopped. :confused:

But it was my first truck :smiley:

Originally a 4 wheeler cattle box it got cut down into an artic after a bump

This picture is a bit crinkly due to being scanned with a hand held scanner (remember them) after which it had to go back on the office wall before it was missed :wink:

I’m soory I cannot split the photos but the bottom on left is a one of several seddon Penine’s we operated with pantechnicon bodies by either Marsden or Vanplan

Nice to see this thread re-appear, I’ve posted a pic I took a few years ago at Gaydon of John Normans Seddon Diesel that he restored, it was once owned by The Yorkshire Bottle Co and what a lovely job he made, its the only Seddon Diesel unit with this cab I’ve seen restored and its a favourite of mine as I spent many hours as a youngster in my Dads similar motor powered by the famous 150 Gardner. John sent in a couple of pics to the latest issue of CVC mag which I thought was good of him but a shame and a wrap on the knuckles to the Ed of CVC that this restoration hasn’t been covered by them before, yet I believe Heritage Comm mag did feature the Seddon a few years ago which I missed, lets hope CVC get down to Hereford and have a good look at Johns splendid vehicle. Keep the Seddon pics coming, cheers Franky.

One or two here some of you lads may remember.

Howarth Bros from Heyside Oldham whose depot was next door to Seddons and who now own the old Seddon factory and land
Howarth Bros Seddon.jpg
Aerialite from Stalybridge.
Seddon belonging to Aerialite of Stalybridge.jpg
Vitafoam Middleton who mushroomman worked for
Vitafoam Seddon Tanker.jpg
Whitbread brewery
Whitbread Seddon.jpg
Graham Baileys restored Seddon.Graham owns BayFreight from Stalybridge.
Graham Baileys Seddon & Albion.jpg