Some Old Seddon's

GS OVERLAND:
Hi all
This Seddon Atkinson was my first truck on my first Class 1 driving job.I was just 22yrs old
S reg (1978) I had loaded Reels of paper out of Convoy’s for Aylesbury press.
Those days were when you got a chance to gain experience.
GS

fantastic picture keep em coming i can remeber going in a seddon like this with my dad and i can still remember the inside of it.

keep the pictures coming.

Have you got any of Ancliff’s Seddon’s or Atki’s in amongst those pics?

:smiley: hi, when i first left school, i had to rub down a seddon for painting, it was a old ancliffes, the back windows were like georgian glass and pop riveted in,
instead of the usual rubber beading, i am not sure about the numbers but it was something like e 9■■ mtb, it became the shunt motor at johston brothers
before being sold to a dealer from about manchester, radcliffes, i think,
if you got 50mph going downhill out of it, and it was raining the wipers used to right over the top, never to return ?, most of the fuses had been repaired with silver paper,(probably from a players packet) other ■■■■ were available,
try repairing a scanny like that.
ahh nostalgia,
ahhh progress :laughing:

mushroomman:
The longest rope and sheet job that I ever did was from Samsun on the Black Sea coast in Turkey to a warehouse in London Docks. It was twenty tons of Hazelnuts in 15 kilogram sacks and I must admit that I used three straps and checked the ropes for tightness often, very often.

:

I did a load of hazelnuts out of Giresun,forther along the coast from Samsun.I tipped them at Fry’s chocolate in york.

british vita had a small factory in measham (leicestershire)they ran 2 or 3 trucks from there,it closed down about yrs 8 yrs ago.

B1 GGK:

mushroomman:
Hi B1 GGK, no I never drove for Coutauld’s although I did do quite a few loads for them from Sponden near Derby and Greenfield near Flint, mainly for Turkey and Rumania. I actually worked for Blue Dart Transport who were part of the British Vita Group ( Vitafoam ) in Middleton, are they still going ?.

Vita’s still there, alot of their work is subbied out to Boarhurst of Stalybridge.
Know a guy called Dave Fearn who drove for Vita for years.

Hi, B1 GGK Dave Fearns rings a distant bell and I bet he knows Cliff Poulter who was the transport manager at Vita for donkeys years.

KW:
Have you got any of Ancliff’s Seddon’s or Atki’s in amongst those pics?

Keith, sorry I haven’t got any old photos of Ancliffe’s but I do remember seeing their tankers regularly in the 70s.

Bestbooties wrote,

I did a load of hazelnuts out of Giresun,forther along the coast from Samsun.I tipped them at Fry’s chocolate in york.
[/quote]

Ian, I wondered if like me you filled a plastic Townsend- Thorensen bag full of freebie Hazelnuts. :smiley:
I remember when I got to the Rumanian/Hungarian border at Nadlac the Rumo customs men wanted to take some samples before they would let me exit the country. :confused: A Rumanian squaddie stuck his bayonet into one of the sacks, the result being that the flow of Hazelnuts would not stop until the 15 kilogram sack was almost empty. :frowning:

Thanks for that Rich 12, I am sorry to hear of the demise of another great British company :frowning: .

Here ya go yungnad one from your neck of the woods. :smiley:

and another one for Wull in Scotland and Bonkey D.

This one looks like an artists impression.

and this one looks like the finished product.

This was probably the state of the art factory in Oldham :slight_smile: , well it is marked August 1958 on the back.

Anybody remember this company :question: .

Thats all for now, there are still a few more if you want them. :wink:

Quality pictures Mushroomman :wink: Keep em coming :smiley: There was an article on the Athersmith bros 8 wheeler in Classic and Vintage commercials a few months ago - very interesting.

I hope you like these lemonmouth :slight_smile:

I bet there are one or two old fellas out there who loaded at a Metal Box factory somewhere, I think this one was not far from the Clayton Aniline plant .

On the fuel tank the address reads, British Road Services, 74 Station Road Scunthorpe, does this ring any bells for anyone. :question:

This one looks like an artists impression or has anyone ever seen one of these. :confused:

I remember hand brakes similar to this one, I also remember trapping the skin on my hand between my thumb and my index finger. :cry:

Another one for Donkey B, well it is a tipper. :slight_smile:

And finally one of Foden 46 old Seddons. :smiley:

Anybody still interested :confused: I have got some more :wink: .

Hi Mushroomman
great pics , keep em coming . My first artic was a 50s split screen Seddon with a Scammel coupling , vacuum brakes and a 375 Leyland engine , second was slightly later , same as splitty but full screen , then came my first A licence , a Tin cab 65 13/4 in 1967, Ive driven seddon V8 Perkins , Rolls Eagles and earlier Gardeners also various Seddaks , but they`re not Seddons , are they ? .
Frenchy

mushroomman:

B1 GGK:

mushroomman:
Hi B1 GGK, no I never drove for Coutauld’s although I did do quite a few loads for them from Sponden near Derby and Greenfield near Flint, mainly for Turkey and Rumania. I actually worked for Blue Dart Transport who were part of the British Vita Group ( Vitafoam ) in Middleton, are they still going ?.

Vita’s still there, alot of their work is subbied out to Boarhurst of Stalybridge.
Know a guy called Dave Fearn who drove for Vita for years.

Hi, B1 GGK Dave Fearns rings a distant bell and I bet he knows Cliff Poulter who was the transport manager at Vita for donkeys years.

I will ask Dave when i see him next,
Dont suppose you know of an ex O/D called Malcolm Taylor, used to live in Chadderton until the 80’s.

That Seddon sleeper might look primitive to our younger brethren but for how many years would I have killed for a cab like that. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Spardo:
That Seddon sleeper might look primitive to our younger brethren but for how many years would I have killed for a cab like that. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Me too David! :laughing: :laughing:
I could never remember if it was Lin-Can or Smedleys who had a place at Long Sutton on the A17 but I remember seeing their wagons regularly in the Lincs/Norfolk area and their fleet seemed to comprise nowt else but Seddons.

B1 G.G.K. sorry but the name Malcolm Taylor dosen’t spring to mind. :frowning:

David and Chris, I used to dream of sleeper cabs every night when I was trying to get some sleep in my A.E.C. Mercury.
I had a garden sunlounger that had two bars that pulled down as legs, each of the legs would just fit either side of the engine cover. On top of this I would place a thin foam mattress, the curtains ( a couple of bath towels ) were held up with a couple of clothes pegs.
No wonder after all these years I wake up in the mornings with a bad back, the rewards of being a cab ■■■■■, I should of used digs more often. :cry:

Frenchy, was this one of your old motors by any chance :slight_smile: maybe I should put this one on the B.R.S. thread. :confused:

You can see where Eminox pinched their idea’s from. :laughing:

We never had many problems with these type of fuel gauges did we :unamused:

Didnt the M.G.B.G.T. have the same gearstick :confused: .

Thats all for now :wink:

many years ago i drove for a company in edmonton, north london, called BG TRANSPORT, they had a bit of a mixed fleet but my regular motor was a seddon with a ■■■■■■■ lump, it went like the proverbial off a shovel, they also had a depot at altrinham, the M1 was a fairly new road then and trucks were not yet banned from the 3rd lane, i would regulary upset the bus drivers passing them on the way up. they were a real fast truck and pulled well, but unless i had umpteen blankets over the engine cowling i was deafened and the had ringing ears ages after. :laughing: :wink: :laughing:

Hi Supercube, your mention of B.G. Transport Edmonton certainly rang a few of me old bell’s. :slight_smile: Were they taken over by Nobles Transport, VitaFreight or Blue Dart Transport in the early seventies ?. :confused: Blue Dart had two Commer Luton / Pantechnicon van’s ( you don’t hear those word’s nowadays ), :unamused: which came from B.G. and I think one of them still displayed the old carrier’s licence, (was it the C licence for general haulage ? Or was it the A licence ?.)
The rego’s were LED *** and they both went as you said, “ like the proverbial off a shovel.” It was the first time that I ever heard somebody say “ It’s got a back axle off a coach ”. :unamused: One was based at Blue Dart’s Paisley depot and did mainly Scotland and the other was based at Vitafoam, Middleton and did mainly East Anglia, the South East and the South West Coast . The thing that I remember about them were that they carried over 100 gallons of fuel and there was a bloody big overhang over the back wheels. :open_mouth:
Do you by any chance remember these van’s ?. :wink:

excellent photos!